Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we all purge and declutter our homes (which I hope we are all doing consistently!) which items do you find the hardest to part with?

For me, it has always been books, however, last year I finally went through and purged every book, except for the ones that I believed I would read again, and a few select authors that I just love. (Buying a Nook helped, as well!)

Other than that, though, I'm pretty good at getting rid of everything. Sentiment has never been a problem for me, but I do have friends who can't get rid of anything that a loved one every looked at or touched. Or another friend who can't get rid of kitchen items. Another friend keeps every piece of paper that comes into their homes.

What about you? What challenges you when it is time to purge?

Reactions: ephofma and piney

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I never use to be able to get rid of anything but that has drastically changed. Now I want a clutter-free home with the least amount of 'stuff' laying around. The best part is I am making money from the stuff I am getting rid of! Every little but helps. :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
By far the hardest things to get rid of were my daughter's baby clothes. I remember every outfit and where she wore them. We have not been successful in having another child and it looks like it is not in the cards. So parting with those clothes/memories was sad and painful. I have pictures and I saved some special things for my daughter but it was a struggle to donate them. It is great to know that someone who needs them will get them and that we helped a charity but it hurt my heart a bit to do it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have a hard time throwing away anything the kids bring home from school. Papers, art projects, cards, gifts etc....I know I can't keep everything, but at times it's so hard to choose.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
I have a hard time throwing away anything the kids bring home from school. Papers, art projects, cards, gifts etc....I know I can't keep everything, but at times it's so hard to choose.
I had a friend who also had a hard time getting rid of her kids' school works. What she started doing was taking a picture of the child holding the item and made a special scrapbook of the pictures. She still keeps a few special items. But, the vast majority she is now able to get rid of since she has a photo of them.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
For me, it's the obvious one, books.Part of it is that I remember which customer wanted this book, sold me this book, told me about this book, etc. The entire history of my bookstore, piecemeal goes through my hands when I'm purging the books.

My family always read. Reading in many ways saved my life, it gave me models, hope, inspiration, etc. which mostly my famiy did not. I've had PTSD since I was 3, but wasn't diagnosed until I was 45, and in between at times it was very bleak and lonely, and books were my constant friend, when nothing else worked, I could read. In some ways, giving up the books is both finally admitting that my bookstore will never exist again AND is also saying good bye to all those old friends too....if I think about what I'm doing sometimes, I can't do it!

Judi

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
I don't like clutter so I enjoy cleaning out and getting rid of stuff, but for me the hardest part was baby clothes.

Neeley, great idea with the kids school work.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
All those things gifted to us by well meaning friends and relatives.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I can get rid of any book if I have read it and usually do...right away.

I have trouble with some kitchen stuff........those 'trinkets' that you might have two of.........but ...what if one breaks? I have a horrible time parting with my kitchen 'toys'!! And 'some' hobby stuff!

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Clothes, books, toys, bedding, linens, knick-knacks -- no problem tossing those. But pots, pans and kitchen accessories are a tough one. Ironically, I have no problem getting rid of appliances. :p My other one is magazines. I love them, but I never have time to read them. :p

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
DEFINITELY books! It was a huge deal for me to donate ONE paperback to the library last week...and I had already read it & didn't like it lol. I didn't have many books as a kid and just love being surrounded by them.

Also, pens. I have a pen fetish. :bag:

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Everything! :( I don't subscribe to magazines because I can't get rid of them - there are always a few articles I wanted to read or a recipe I wanted to try! I only get the Sunday newspaper because of this problem and they still stack up! I need to purge big time, but it's so hard for me to do. The kids just brought home all their end of the school year papers, artwork, projects, so I have all those to go through. They each have a "special box" which is a Rubbermaid tote, where we keep only their/my favorites, which has helped. When I do get rid of stuff, it feels great, I just need to be motivated to do it more often! :smhelp:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
i organize sanitize and pack into crates. i'm a hoarder. i only have four big ones and four little ones..... i want a few more big ones. i love my stuff. its clean. and mostly free or cheap or worth the money.

Reactions: ephofma and AmyBoz

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
For me it would be furniture. It took me about 15 years to furnish an apartment. Somehow I ended up with to many chairs. Ended up slowly getting rid of the chairs and a sofa. Don't even miss them and really happy with the extra space.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Shoes is one thing that hard for me to get rid of and who needs 15 pair of shoes no one.Books was but about a year ago i went through my books took a lot to good will.Gift from children and kitchen items are hard for me to let go.I don't have the clutter i ust to have but should get rid of some shoes and kitchen items.

Reactions: AmyBoz

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
For me it's old calendars, journals, school work, cards from others (birthday, christmas, etc) I love the trip down memory lane and they don't take up that much space, just a couple of plastic totes in the shed. But, I can say that I have every single birthday card ever given to me....and all my valentines from when I was young.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
I can cheerfully get rid virtually anything, and decided probably 30 years ago there would be no book accumulation - I moved too often to lug them around just for the satisfaction of looking at them on shelves (and then I could dump the shelves too!)

My downfall, and in the great cosmic scale of things it's only silly, is that I hate to throw away bits of yarn. What if I'm sewing an afghan together and I need ust another 10 or 12 inches of the color to finish? Just this morning I ended up with about 18" of a blue I was crocheting. I took a deep breath and threw it in the trash. "Chickie," I told myself, "it's a standard color that's always available, if you need 6" of it three years from now, you can get another skein, use the 6" and then the rest of it in another project. It won't rull into even a tiny ball. Just toss it!"

I can understand holding onto books or sentimental things to delightful kitchen gear, but bits of yarn? That's pathetic. LOL!

·
Registered
924 Posts
so glad I found this thread...I was just thinking this weekend that I needed to purge my clothes.

Clothes is defintiely the hardest for me. I have to "dress" for work so I havetwo ward drobes. I try to live by the "if I haven't worn it in two years get rid of it" but thats even hard.

I do have several items that my mother made me, either sewed or knitted that I will probably never wear again or get rid of.

And my figure has changed over the past couple of years and my cute clothes aren't looking so cute anymore. Hard to get rid of something that you once looked great in.

And I need to learn how to consign items. I have some really nice things that I could probably get a few bucks for.

·
Registered
87 Posts
i have a hard time getting rid of old photos, even out of focus ones or duplicates. Since we got a digital camera I haven't added many new ones to the piles but I have way too many pictures. I also save too much fabric and craft supplies that I'll never use. I guess I need to watch more episodes of hoarders. That usually inspires me to get rid of stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
I have a hard time getting rid of books, but then again, I don't want to get rid of them. I like having books, I grew up in a house full of them and thought it was wonderful. I want the same for my children.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts