Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having some issues here and need some fellow frugal folk's input. At what point does it become hording?

I currently have enough deodurant to last for several years. It was all purchased on sale and with coupons, I started with 6 tubes that I paid 75 cents each for and then just last week added 10 more that were free after sales and coupons. This week I got 4 more Dove for Men (which usually runs 5.99 ea) for 23 cents total. They are on sale at CVS for 99 cents each and there was a $1 of each coupon a couple of weeks back that I still had (had to pay tax). I can get as many as 5 more for 25 cents each plus tax and am thinking about doing it, but would that be hording?

So my question is, is the line between hording and stockpiling about your mindset or quantity? i.e if I find myself buying more and more but not using any of the old am I hording or just preparing for when I need the goods and they are no longer on sale.

As a note, I only have this issue on things that I can get for 90% off or more. If it's free or almost free I will get as many as I can.

Am I a horder?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Don't know about being a hoarder, but you can find baskets at garage sales, etc and fill them with deodorant, shampoo, lotions, etc wrap them up pretty & give for gifts or to someone when their house burns, etc. I've done that many times. Given a lot to kids going off to college, they love it.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
I dont think your a hoarder. However if you can't use it before it goes bad donate it to a shelter or food pantry. You could really help someone out for just paying the tax since your finding such great deals!

·
4,028 Posts
Hoarders have difficulty letting things go. They save things without a clear purpose in mind.

If you are able to give your freebies and near freebies to those who can use them... you are not a hoarder.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
if you can use it or donate it to a homeless shelter or give for a gift it not hoarding but if you let it go bad and eventually have to throw it away that would be hoarding.that just my way of thinking.If i have more things then i can use before date run out i try to give it away.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ceashals THANK YOU!!

I do buy for my BF when it is on sale and I have coupons, so I could consider that giving away as he does have his own house.

Here is the next question for everyone. If you can get something for only paying the tax and you have plenty of them. Do you buy it so that you can give it away or do you leave it on the shelf for the next person who may not be as well stocked?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I would not clean off the shelf if it was full that is for sure. I would buy a reasonable amount and then give it away.

on that new show it is almost discusting how they just wipe everything out, even lifting up and dumping the whole display full in their carts. I am all for stocking up a reasonable amount and even get a bit extra to share, but as the show is called extreme couponing it is way over the top.

Reactions: khaski and piney

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I would not clean off the shelf if it was full that is for sure. I would buy a reasonable amount and then give it away.

on that new show it is almost discusting how they just wipe everything out, even lifting up and dumping the whole display full in their carts. I am all for stocking up a reasonable amount and even get a bit extra to share, but as the show is called extreme couponing it is way over the top.
I have wonder how many of them will use all the things before it go bad.I was buying things at a store the other day and limit was 4 for some things and one lady said you can get as many as you want i said i will leave some for other people.

Reactions: jas

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Here is the next question for everyone. If you can get something for only paying the tax and you have plenty of them. Do you buy it so that you can give it away or do you leave it on the shelf for the next person who may not be as well stocked?
Just paying the tax on something I don't need is no different than buying something I don't need just because it's on sale. It's still a waste of money, whether I paid $1 or 1¢. Not to mention a waste of time, space, and the associated labour and stress involved with storing things that aren't needed.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I aim for a three to six month supply. I have too much going on in my life to justify the time spent on acquiring just to acquire.
Just because I CAN do something, does not mean I SHOULD do it - KWIM?

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
I would call it hoarding if you aren't using the stuff. I think if you have several year's worth you are borderline. That's more than you can use in a reasonable time, and you won't go through it that fast. Buying more would be hoarding. Buying it just because it is on sale, not because you need it, that's hoarding.

If I see a really good deal on something I might not use, I buy it to give away. I've been doing this for Harvester's for a while now. Once in a while I do it for friends in tight straights.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
i won't buy more than I will use in a year. even if i give it away, it is still time, money, and effort thrown away.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
my thoughts: if you can store it w/o it taking over your living space, you are not a hoarder.
I think that depends on how much storage space you have or where your storage space is.

My mom and dad had over 2,000 square feet of basement space that they could use for storage.
Some people also rent a storage unit for storage that would not be taking over your living space.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
imagine...... ok, so you got me there...

I was thinking in terms of me.

I have a linen closet full, a laundry closet full, and my pantry full.

stockpiler? yes.
hoarder? no

a 2000 sq ft basement filled to the brim would cross the line, CLEARLY so would the rental unit. I have seen that on hoarders..... crazy. imho

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Hoarders have difficulty letting things go. They save things without a clear purpose in mind.

If you are able to give your freebies and near freebies to those who can use them... you are not a hoarder.
I would call it hoarding if you aren't using the stuff. I think if you have several year's worth you are borderline.
As stated above--I agree.

...........deodorant DOES go bad........it gets hard.

You said that you buy 'sometimes' for your BF....but you didn't say how much of this you plan to give away.

If you keep it all...........some of it WILL go bad before you can use it..........then you are a hoarder.

I don't empty the shelf..............UNLESS it has a limit and 'my limit' empties the shelf.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
I jsut went back and counted 25 deodorants in the OP post. imho that is NOT hoarding. Now200 and 25 deodorants is hoarding.... but if you think 25 is hoarding... I may have crossed the line in some of your minds. I just went counted my stockpile of mens deodorants: I have 23

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
As stated above--I agree.

...........deodorant DOES go bad........
Here in a general life span of items

Expiration Dates

For deodorant it says three years approx.

It also says Antiperspirant to see the the expiration date

I just checked the Antiperspirant that I just bought they have an expiration date in 2012. so I have to use them up in 6 to12 month depending on their individual month of expiration

Reactions: Palooka

·
Registered
955 Posts
I think it depends on the item. I might have 25 cans of beans in my stockpile, but since I use them 8-10 at a time in a batch of chili, that's only 2-3 batches of chili worth of beans.

On the other hand, 25 tubes of toothpaste would be a MANY MANY year supply. Now, if I had a family of 5, it would likely cover a far shorter period of time.

I think balance is important. So first, you would need to identify how many you use per "x" amount of time and then decide what amount of time you want to store for.

Storing for 6-12 months? Then having 24 months worth of stock is hoarding and likely to result in future wastage.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I have about 30 things of deoderant for 5 people. I know that I am way down on the stockpile because I haven't bought any except a few "girly" ones in the last few years. I usually just buy all mens deo and then I use the smells that are a little less "manly" (usually the fresh scent isn't too manly). But, you know, every once in a while it is nice to have a girly scent.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts