Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have special occasion meals or main dish for New Years Eve as a tradition? I see a lot of Black eyed peas, collard greens and Sauerkraut. Cabbage rolls and cornbread run a close second.

We don't do anything traditional but I'm amazed at how many do especially for New Years. Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter I understand. Grew up with those "special" dinners but never New Years.

How about you? Do you have any New Years traditions period at your home?

·
Registered
73 Posts
New Years Day dinner (for us) usually consists of going out for supper with family, though we don't do it every year.

However, for those times we eat at home, anything goes. :smile2:

·
Registered
922 Posts
We always did saurkraut, pork, black eye peas and applesauce. This year for some reason we did saurkraut and kielbasi for Christmas. Don't want it again so soon so I will make cheesy hashbrowns and a small roast with carrots. I guess apple sauce will continue as the only traditional food this year.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I usually get a ham from Whole Foods. It's already cooked and I warm it up in the crock pot. It goes pretty good with scalloped potatoes and a couple of veggie sides.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
We sometimes have a honey ham, but not this year. I just got some sliced dinner ham at the grocery store. We had some for Christmas and will eat the rest over the weekend. I promised DH some breakfast egg cups.

Sometimes, when I have energy, I make a variety of appetizers. Cheeses and crackers, things with puff pastry, cut veggies and fruit, etc. We are doing movie night at a friend's house this year, so I will be taking apps. Not sure what yet. I think I have a bottle of champagne to share. Everyone can have a sip, not enough to get drunk on.

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
We are doing the same as Kim. Ham, scalloped potatoes and veggies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts