Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 3-in-1 printer that for $4. We've been needing to scan photos for so long and it works great! This same place was actually preparing for a move so they gave us food from their freezer too.

Still new to this forum
Clorinda

·
Registered
540 Posts
An antique buffet, hutch and dinning room table, all are in good condition and got all for 25 dollars..

Reactions: jas

·
Registered
44 Posts
About 5 years ago, I went to a garage/estate sale of a deceased long time teacher. They had about 20 boxes of books with about 50 books per box. I bought all of them for 20 bucks. These were old antique and highly collectible books. I sold about half of them on Ebay for almost 700 bucks and then sold most of the rest at a yard sale I had.
By the time they were all gone, i was so sick of looking at them, I never wanted to buy or see another books again!
One of the boxes had the entire 1st edition set of the boxcar children!

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
I think my best deal was one that started out as a crappy deal.

I bought a pack & play for $4. It was all wrapped up for storage (you know how the bottom of the bed wraps around the bed itself) and I didn't unwrap it before buying it. I got it home and the sides were broken and wouldn't stay up.

The next day I happened to be at the pediatrician's office for an appointment and noticed the pack & play I had bought was recalled! So I called the 1-800# and they gave me instructions to cut out the bottom and the net & mail it to them (pre-paid by them) so it couldn't be used again. They then sent me a BRAND NEW pack & play free of charge :)

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Three solid mahogany tables with leather inserts. Got all three for about $20-30 dollars. When I stopped at the yardsale I had no money since I was on my way to the bank. The person held the tables for me. When I got back they said people were stopping and asking about them. This was years ago. The tables have the blue mahogany stickers on them. I still have them and really love them. One is a low coffee table style with a pie crust top, another is a regular table height drum style table, and another is a small round side table. They all have brass covered feet.

I get lots of compliments on them.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
I got a super cute set for outside this year. It is 2 tall chairs and a table. It is a green wrought iron and glass. I paid about $40. and just love it. Perfect for reading and keeping snacks away from hungry dogs.lol

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Best buy was a set of wall sconces, bought at auctions $8.00 sold on ebay for $1400.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
There are a few, but the best one is a buffet that I got for 20.00. I stopped at the garage sale because there was a hutch out in the driveway. I asked about it and it was already sold. I asked how much and she said 20.00. I was like wow. She then said she had another piece of furniture in the garage that she would sell me. I had no idea of the condition I figured I would paint it white anyway. I got it home and it was in really good shape. Only needed slight cleaning. I had dh remove one of the drawers and make it a shelf. And then on the bottom he added a shelf. I stained them to match the rest of the piece. and it is what we have our t.v on and the shelf holds the dvr and the dvd player.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I think the best deal we ever got was when one of the pharm people out here was being relocated and they had to get rid of everything. We got 2 Ikea bookshelves and and entire set of Ikea wooden storage shelves for $50. They were brand new. If we had bought them at Ikea we would have spent around $700.

They also had lots of other pieces of furniture I would have loved to have had, but they were HUGE, and our home in tiny. :(

·
Registered
860 Posts
I used to shop at yard sales a good bit back in the 80's and used to find a lot of great bargains. I'll try to remember some:

$1.00 -- charcoal grill
$5.00 -- 5-gallon heavy restaurant pot
$15.00 -- large pressure canner

Quite a few items of furniture over the years, including a Hoosier cabinet for $45.00, which is still in my kitchen today.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Nothing of any value but my favorite things are the ratty old tshirts!! You would think I had hit the jackpot whenever I find one that I fall in love with!! :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
A relatively new desktop computer with monitor for $3. It was sold by the wife in her "divorce" garage sale, and she said it had been her x's and to buy at your own risk. Of course, it was full of p*rn, but after a format and reinstallation of the OS, it was like new!

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Our living room furniture...a sofa and chair...actually ended up being free. We looked at it and walked away because we couldn't afford it. A couple day's later a moving truck pulls up to our front door and the guy who was selling it rings the doorbell and asks if we want it for free. He was surprising his wife with a new set for their new condo!

We had that set for 15 years before we got rid of it. It was so ratty DH had to cut it up and throw it in the garbage. No local charities would take it!

·
Registered
173 Posts
My best deal so far was a law bookcase. The wood and all the glass doors are perfect and I got it at a yard sale for $25.00. My kids have filled it with their nature collections and it looks wonderful with all the rocks, shells, birds nests, and mounted insects in it.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I generally go to a flea market about 30 minutes away from me. I've picked up some nice wood stuff, like a butter press and darning eggs. But I think the best purchases I ever found was a wooden spinning wheel for about $50 and a hand made lute. The lute was a bit pricey ($200) but it was handmade by a craftsman in the Middle East and, well, it's a lute.

·
Registered
183 Posts
A turn of the century carved pump organ....love antiques and it was so pretty....called my hubby to come look at it before I purchased it. He ran a quick search on the web and got a rough idea of worth. I paid $200...he found a few online that were going for over $2000. So it sits in our front room with all the other pretty pieces.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Two queen ann chairs and two matching end tables at an estate sale. It cost me $300 but they were a brand new.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.