Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine has been a red potato for quite some time now. I really like them and have grown some of our own the last few years.

I think I have found a new favorite to try to grow. Last week, the cousin asked me to come over and help her dig the last of the potatoes up. She wanted to give me some to take home. I think it was just a excuse to visit :)
Anyways, I bring home these pototes. We have had them mashed, the little ones made into salt potatoes, the leftover salt ones then pan fried. And they even come out great in the microwave. My experiment was to boil some extra for leftovers. I then put the extra amount in these little plastic bowls in the freezer. A small serving for one. I have used whatever I have frozen so far. Just reheat in the microwave. WOW. I am just blown away with these pototes.
German butter balls. Which if I understand correctly is the grandmother to yukon golds. My plan is to try to get some through the winter so I can plant them in the spring. That is, if I don't eat them all before then.

Reactions: Jabbit and Vanilla

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
My favorite potato is the one shopped for, prepared and cleaned up by someone else!! :)

Reactions: mauimagic

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
red and yukon gold is my favorite but i haven't tried the german butter ball hadn't even heard of them before.

·
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reactions: Vanilla

·
19,119 Posts
Wow - you sure know your potatoes!!

I like them baked the old fashioned way in the oven to get that great crispy skin and then loaded with sour cream, bacon and green onions - a meal unto itself!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Mine is one from my garden. There's nothing better than a potato I've just dug up and cooked.

·
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know a little about potatoes. It's the cousin who has the green thumbs. I just pick her brain whenever I can.
She grew red, white, and blue potatoes this year for the farmer's market. Her mom really loves the reds. I like them too, but these butterballs ones have really caught my attention. We use quite a few potatoes , because the hubby likes a potato, meat, and veggie meal often.

Me too.....on the just dug fresh ones.......oh yummy :)

And a good potato in the oven, oh yes and with lots of sour cream ..........

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
red. hands down

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I love sweet potatoes the best, followed by the Yukon Gold.

·
Registered
851 Posts
For mash & roast potatoes - I like red ones.
For bake potatoes - russet

Yukon gold is good too, but kind of more expensive than the other 2 kind.

My friend grows their own potatoes too, said those were the best they ever had.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yukon followed by Russet

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
blue. Blue potatoes without a doubt are my favorite. for the "wow" and "neato" factor and the flavor is nice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.