Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious as I am really on the hunt.

I believe that factories have been changing the way they make chocolate chips (even chocolate) to be able to stay in business in these rough economical days. I can taste it - I have always had a sensitive palette in regards to that, and I have a boy who takes after me.

I made some ch. ch. cookies several weeks ago with some different kinds of chocolate chips; actually they are called carob chips from our local grocery health food store. We BOTH loved them. It was one of those moments that we looked at each other and said "this is the way a chocolate cookie should taste". In fact, the next week I had to make some more cookies, I went ahead and use some 'normal' semi-sweet chocolate chip that I needed to use up(a brand we have always loved), and both of us could not stand it - and I LOVE chocolate.

Is it me? and am I just imagining chocolate chips have changed a bit?
I have heard reports of how companies and factories are changing ingredients to manage inflation and yet stay in business......but I never really factored in it would really affect 'chocolate'.

So.... now... I am wondering what your favorite chocolate chips are?
I don't mind buying carob chips from our health food store - but I will tell you - they are pricey!! So... please share what you like.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I've always gotten Tollhouse but I dont make cookies very often so it's been a while since we've had any in the house.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
I've never liked Tollhouse. Does Godiva make chocolate chips? Man that would be good. I probably wouldn't be able to afford it as often as I'd like, but still....

I normally use the Ghiardelli ones but still pretty infrequently so the company could lessen the quality and it'd be quite awhile before I realized it.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I love the Ghiardelli for semi-sweet, and Hershey makes an excellent DARK chocolate chip.

I'm pretty sure Nestle would not change the recipe it's used for 6+ decades to save $$ - they would've (and have) raised the price. I cannot stand carob, and wonder if maybe it's your palate that has changed?

·
27,948 Posts
I really like Hershey's Special Dark Chips, they have just the right amount of sweet I think.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
With some exceptions........I buy whatever is on sale. (won't buy many 'store brands') But Hershey, Tollhouse, or Ghiar.........all are okay with me.

It has to be semi-sweet for my cookies. I don't like and won't buy carob.........tried it years ago, didn't like it.

I can only say that someone gave me the 10 POUND bag that Costco carries............and I don't like them. They don't melt worth a crap when you make cookies. Will be glad when they are gone.........may have to make fudge with them. They weren't semi-sweet either........so they make many things too sweet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
frugalfranny, I tend to agree with you about the chips that don't want to melt. They don't make yummy cookies or delights!

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Tollhouse Milk Chocolate chips are my favorite. :)

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I am used to the ghirrardehli dark chocolate chips. Mainly becauce of the ingredients. I think I will take a look at hershey chocolate chips to see if the receipe has changed.

I would stock up on as much chocolate products that you use real soon. I heard the price is going to keep going up!!!

·
Registered
623 Posts
I like the dark chips myself.

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
I buy whatever is on sale, but I don't do a lot of baking with them in general. My most recent batch, this month was with store brand chips and they tasted fine to me. I'm something of a chocolate snob, and I don't consider chips "real" chocolate as they are so full of fats and fillers, just like candy bars that it's hardly worth it. If I want to enjoy chocolate I buy a bar of pure 60-75% from one of the gourmet producers.

Chocolate is more in demand than ever. It's being imported into new countries for production. What you may be tasting is a lesser variety of the Theobroma cacao which is easier to grow outside of its native habitat. Sure, it's chocolate, but it doesn't have the prized characteristics of the finest variety, which makes up less than 10% of the available chocolate produced.

And of course a lot of companies adulterate the chocolate with sugar, milk, palm kernel oil, and other emulsifiers. Companies like Hershey's don't even use cocoa butter any more, they switched to other (cheaper) vegetable oils. Only about 10% of a Hershey bar is chocolate, the rest is fillers. When you buy a bar that says it is 60% or 70% chocolate, that is what you get, and that is why they cost $3-$4 apiece.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I love Ghiradelli!! They always have a great selection of what to choose from depending on my mood. I'm not surprised at the fact that chocolate is changing too as well as the genetic makeup of fruits. Now that you have mentioned it, it just doesn't taste the same like it once was.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts