Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know what I mean...the one that stops you in your tracks. The one that you ALWAYS listen to when it comes on. The one, for those of us who have a couple of decades under our belts, that you find yourself humming, thinking of, tearing up when it comes on the radio because it moves you.

Narrow it down to THE one song, not two or three, just one.

For me, hands down, it is Janis Ian's "At Seventeen." I was seventeen when I first heard it, and that is probably why it strikes such a chord for me. Even today, when I hear her sing it, I get a lump in my throat.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
When Love and Hate Collide by Def Leppard.

I love the melody, his voice ,the guitars the base and the words. It doesn't make me tear up but it does make me stop, breath and be amazed by the beauty of it. It make me feel so calm. This song came out when I was 25 :)

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Fire and Rain by James Taylor.

I saw him perform in a very small setting many years ago. Talk about getting drawn into someone's music, blew me away.

When I hear this song I'm taken back in time to my first real love. I always liked to believe it was a mutual breakup, but years later he said to me, "What happened to us?" and I realized to my dismay, I walked away from him. He never stopped loving me and we never lost touch. He ended up living in NY, but we talked all the time and he would come up and spend weekends with me, time with my family. Eventually I had to break our ties when the relationship between my now husband and I became serious and marriage was on the immediate horizon. It broke my heart, and I know it broke his heart. I also know he still loves me and believed that he would see me again. Still kills me. I think of him often and pray he's well, truly happy, and has found someone to love and raise a family with.

Reactions: madhen

·
Registered
328 Posts
Blackbird!! I love Dave Matthews singing it!! This song always gives me chillbumps all the way through it!! Love love love it!!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Just Another Day by Oingo Boingo! :D Not sure why but it is the one song that has stuck with me all these years and I still love hearing it when it (rarely) comes on the radio. It is on my iPod so I can listen to it whenever I want!

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
I Won't Forget You-Poison

It was our high school senior theme song. It reminds me of all my exes, old friends, and good times. :D

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I'm Free by Kenny Loggins

I would think it is heard by a lot of people as a "going after the one you want song". When I first heard it I was at a point in my life where I felt very trapped and not in control of anything. This song has always reminded me that if I wanted something bad enough than I needed to fight for it, that I am only as trapped by circumstances and other peoples will as I allow myself to be.

Looking into your eyes I know I'm right
If there's anything worth my love it's worth a fight
We only get one chance
But nothing ties our hands
You're what I want
Listen to me
Nothing I want
Is out of my reach

Chorus
(I'M FREE)
HEAVEN HELPS THE MAN who fights his fear
Love's the only thing that keeps me here
You're the reason that I'm hanging on
My heart's staying where my heart belongs
(I'M FREE)

Running away will never make me free
And nothing we sign is any kind of guarantee
But I wanna hold you now
And I won't hold you down

I'm shaking the past
Making my breaks
Taking control
If that's what it takes

Chorus

·
Registered
479 Posts
"Our God" by Chris Tomlin. It was the first 'modern' worship song I had heard, when I walked into a church for the first time in over 20 years. I left a non-Christian cult, and an emotionally abusive, non-loving husband who could not and cannot think beyond what his cult leader says, and I believe God used this song to help me find the faith and strength that I had lost.

Throughout the arduous divorce, custody and homeschooling battle, this song has helped me. Sometimes I will be having a very 'dark' day, and I would turn on the radio and hear these lyrics.

Our God is greater, our God is stronger, God you are higher than any other.
Our God is Healer, Awesome in Power, Our God! Our God!
Our God is greater, our God is stronger, God you are higher than any other.
Our God is Healer, Awesome in Power, Our God! Our God!
And if our God is for us, then who could ever stop us.
And if our God is with us, then what could stand against.
And if our God is for us, then who could ever stop us.
And if our God is with us, then what could stand against.
Then what could stand against.

And I would instantly think of how weak that cult is; that God is the healer, not Master Li, and I would know that God was giving me strength to go on.

Yes, it brings tears to my eyes still, and I have NEVER been one to cry over a song.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Landslide

Stevie Nicks Landslide. Stops all thinking in the brain, teary-eyed. Dunno why. Just like it. There's others, but this one does stop me, whatever I'm doing, to feel it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Just Another Day by Oingo Boingo! :D Not sure why but it is the one song that has stuck with me all these years and I still love hearing it when it (rarely) comes on the radio. It is on my iPod so I can listen to it whenever I want!
Wow, another Boingo fan here? What are the odds? :p I have loved them since I was 12, and I have seen them in concert twice. I love so many of their songs, and I agree that Just Another Day is a great one.

Kara

P.S. This question is really, really hard to answer. So hard to narrow it down. Music is really important to me and different songs mark different parts of my life. When I "discovered" music as a pre-teen listening to records in my big brother room. Each year of highschool brings back different memories via songs. My first concert. My first love. My second love. When I met my future husband. On and on. Sorry, I can't pick just one.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Daddy's Hands by Holly Dunn

I first heard this song when I was around 8 years old. My dad lost both of his arms when I was 18 months old. At age 8, hearing a song about a daddy's hands was special to me. As I have gotten older and understood the deeper meaning of the song, I appreciate it all the more. I keep a copy of the lyrics in my wallet.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I agree so many to pick from.

I can be moved to tear from a single cello. Music is just emotional for me.

But if I had to pick a song that always makes me stop and listen and generally cry no matter what stage of life I was in. It would be, Forever Young by Bob Dylan

There are so many versions but the faster one at the start of the show parenthood makes me cry every time.

Here is a nice version too sung by a lady

Lyrics
May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay forever young
Forever young, forever young
May you stay forever young.

May you grow up to be righteous
May you grow up to be true
May you always know the truth
And see the lights surrounding you
May you always be courageous
Stand upright and be strong

May your hands always be busy
May your feet always be swift
May you have a strong foundation
When the winds of changes shift
May your heart always be joyful
And may your song always be sung

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Music is too intense for me 2 pick one song. Each period of life there is a song that reminds me of good times and sad times. My hubby and our song when we first got to together was Thank you by Dido but now it just doesn't seem right. My teas gone cold wonder why I got out of bed at all.... I want to thank u for the best day of my life. It is not hubbys thing.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
One song? This is trite but " Goodbye Earl". Such a happy beat for such a dark subject. It also speaks to the bond I share with my high school best friend.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts