Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What motivates you to do it?

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but anyway,

I have been thinking LOADS about frugal living and simplicity which kind of go hand in hand.

What motivates you to do it?

I know some people have debts to clear and stuff, but I've been reading a lot on line and it becomes a choice way to live sometimes.

I'm wondering what particular steps you took when you decided to be more frugal or simplify to change your life,

What made you take the descision in the first place.

What inspires or motivates you to carry on.

LOL - don't want to know much do I? LOL - personal books can be forwarded straight to me for editing ROFL.

No seriously - I am REALLY interested in any thoughts, this has become almost an obsession in my mind!

·
Registered
155 Posts
For me it's just to have joy back in my life and learning to love the things that truly matter, my husband, children, family and friends. Lots of the other things get in the way and can cloud your view of whats important. Plus, it's really a neat challenge to realize the *waste* that occurs when you're not thinking about your spending. What other great things can we do with this money instead of blowing it on needless possessions?:smball:

·
FV Buddy
1,101 Posts
For me, it's the feeling of disgust at seeing the young people of today with the expensive label/designer clothes with cell phones and beepers, people driving gas guzzling huge vehicles, the waste of materials, food and resources that goes on so much. I think about how much the "rich" have and how little the "poor" do and I think it is so unfair sometimes. I want to live a simpler life because I am tired of throwing out junk that I have spent good money on because I don't have the space to store it, of throwing out bags of packaging from the foods we eat, of being in debt, of being fearful of not being able to afford food like when I was a kid(which triggers me to hoard food and binge)...the reasons go on and on. Most of all, I want to be able to have the ability to have a life...not just work.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Like Kim...I too wanted to understand and see the joy i was missing.

I was a runaway credit card charging machine! I realized one day that there wasn't anything I didn't want/need. Fortunately, I knew that was not a good sign and put myself on a one year 'no buy' moratorium...three months later my DH was laid off and that company filed for bankruptcy.

I was grateful to have adopted the frugal attitude ahead of time.

Now, it is a way of life because I saw the money wasted. Money that could have been used to pay off the house, or pay cash for a new car, etc.

But, I get a kick out of seeing a sunrise, the trees blooming in Spring/Turning the Fall. I enjoy the laugher when the family gets together. And there is nothing I take for granted.

Hot and cold running water is such a blessing. Everywhere I look I see the gifts God gave me, from the car I drive to the smile on my son's face. Now, I appreciate it all so much more.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Thanks Melissa, I thnk that speaks volumes for most of us here!

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Yeah what Mel said! I have always been a bit on the frugal side till I wanted something! Then frugality went by the wayside. I still like to shop and love the thrill of the bargain hunt, but I set limits for myself, where as I never did before. I keep the "debt free" sign in the forefront of my mind and that helps me stick to it much easier.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Great question!!I choose to be frugal,why cause I just don't see waisting the money and see better things for my family than being in debt our whole lives.I chose to be frugal when ds(bubba)arrived.I freaked out and thought we can't keep living like this its rediculous.So I surfed and surfed and found tons of great sites that lead me to awesome books and more great sites(the village and the only place i go)I read and read and at first I thought omg I could never hang my clothes out to dry.LOL they are hanging up right now as we speak.Then I looked at our budget and tracked every little penny we spent and made a drasticly changed our budget or better to say I changed the way we lived to change our budget,so now we have extra money to put towards bills.

Its sad to say one thing that motivates me is mine and dh parents,they will be working to pay off debt probably till the day the die.I don't want to do that.I want to enjoy my life and appreciate everything god has to offer me not take for granted everything and resent things.I've really learned to love life and everything around me.Nothing is free but happiness and love is and I can't be happy when I'm waisting money.Frugality has become like my best friend.I turn to it for everything.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
My mom was never frugal, so she and my dad have filed for bankruptcy twice! :eek: Dh and I have a ton of cc debt, and we are only 23 & 24. I realized that I didn't want to be like my mom and dad, so I started being frugal.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I started to become frugal when I wanted to come home and raise my family, We were struggling financially to begin with and I didn't see a way out of the mess. Then I came across miserly moms web site, and ordered the books. I loved her mind set and was determined to do what I had to to stop working. I tend to jump into things and I quit my job two weeks later. I really didn't know what I was doing yet and It has taken me a year to get where I want to be. With many lifestyle changes, we are living well, and working to pay off our debt. There are so many resources out there that really helped me figure it out.

Nealy

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
It was many years ago when I was a without any money, divorced, and trying to pay the bills on my own.... It wasn't a choice, it was a necessity !!!!!!!! It just stuck ........

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I am with Lori, when i was married to my first husband i had everything, that i didn't need, cc's a wallet full, and 2 cars and a house and more junk than any 8 people needed, then i lost everything and I mean everything all the CC the house, the cars, we were homeless for a month even, i started thinking did i need it all. NOPE. and i don't want to go back to that.
So i had to support the children and I on almost nothing, and we managed. so I can do.
but right now i am saving for so many things, i want a sewing machine, i want a house, that i own. so that is what keeps me on the bandwagon. besides i have too much stuff as it is.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
One Main Reason that motivates me to stay on the Frugality side of life is ...

One Main Reason that motivates me to stay on the Frugality side of life is being Debt Free.
Another Reason is because I love the Simple Lifestyle.
Another Reason is because I am much happier with a little than with alot.
My DH and I have choosen this lifestyle because we want to be Debt Free and not have to pay Creditors any more money.

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
How do you keep yourself motivated

in the area of frugality?
I sometimes struggle with this and I find that I do better if I re-read parts of the Tightwad Gazette and then come here and read some of the frugal tips.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
By setting goals - short term and long term.

When we were $$$$ in debt, I set some goals that made me stretch myself in the area of frugality. I kept my eyes on those goals (getting a old Victorian home and paying cash for it, moving to the country, etc.).

When I fell off the wagon, which was quite often at first, I picked myself up and remembered those goals.

I also rewarded myself when I achieved a specific goal. Our first cc paid off, we rented a hotel for a weekend and took the whole family and had a fun, relaxing time, paying cash. I budgeted for those rewards. When we had paid off all our debts and purchased our dream home with cash, we took a lifetime vacation. We had the cash for it. We spent lots of $$, but it was so rewarding to have reached our goals.

Our goal now is for dh to fully retire in 14 months. I'm working hard at seeing that happen.

Thats one way of keeping strong in the area of frugality. I'm sure there are many others as well. I also re-read the TWG a hundred times throughout our 7 years of radical frugality.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Frugal Inspiration?

Who or what inspired you to be or become frugal?

Being 47 with two young kids and in debt to our eyeballs worked for us. But, looking back I can see that my Mom has been frugal forever. My Mom's parents lived on a farm with no electricity, or running water and they were practically self sufficient.

So, I am trying to learn from them as I go. Who or what inspired you?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Honestly...my kids and them deserving me and DH getting our acts together. And probably my dad, because I would like to have the comfortable retirement he has.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Aside from the hugely obvious need to make changes in our lives, I'm not sure who or what inspired me initially. I suppose it was partly my parents' example of living frugally.

When I began my frugal quest I hunted all the books I could find on the subject. Andrew Tobias was one author who helped and the other author (whose name I can NEVER remember -- Munzert maybe?) wrote a book called Poor Richards Almanac to Financial Independence. Both of these had terrific advice and the Poor Richards book helped me make the leap to a more intensive frugality.

Eventually I found Amy Dacyzyn, but it was years after I had begun my own journey.

In the end though, it was the need to do something different if we wanted to achieve our goals that spurred us on initially.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
It was a what that inspired us. We wanted dh to have an early retirement, we wanted to live in the country and we wanted to be able to pay cash for our home when we moved to the country.

I've always been frugal to some extent (had to be). When we started to dream big, we got radical about frugality and paying off our cc debt, along with what we owed on a car we had.

I started reading books and like Jean eventually found TWG, along with many other books. From there, there was no looking back.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I think the day I saw Amy Dacyzyn on the Phil Donhue show many moons ago...lol! I was listening to the ways she was showing the audience how to be frugal. I was amazed that you could save as much as she did. It intrigued me and I started on a search to find that in our life. Of course, it didn't work as well as it did for her. Somehow we fell off the bandwagon and went through some eye opening events and eventually found our way back to frugal living and have been there ever since.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
I started becoming frugal when I found this website several years ago... http://butterflyhollowfarm.com/

Just knowing how they went from fast paced, high priced living to being frugal and renovating the home of their dreams was enough to inspire me and then DH caught on as well. I love the story of this house and now it's a B & B. What a dream!

1 - 20 of 154 Posts