Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to be able to say that I like deep thinking books, but no. I like fluff. LOL Romancenovels, one of my favorite authors right now is Nora Roberts. A bit of mystery with a little smut!
What do you like? And if the next person says anything off the NY times best seller list I'm going to feel like a dork!:toothy:

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
"anything off the NYTime best sellers list"
No, just kidding. :laugh:

:read: I like to read a wide variety of things. When I was a kid I used to get in trouble for reading too much- I'd be deep into a book and not hear my parents talking to me at all.

Currently I'm reading a lot of baby and parenting books... go figure. I also like Stephen King books, biographies, true-life-story kinds of things. And, occasionally, I pick up a romance or other "fluff" at the library.

Probably one of the strangest things I spend time reading is cook books... I can spend hours going through my collection, especially my Gooseberry Patch books.

Here's a guilty admission... I'm interested to read the new Hillary Clinton book that's coming out. I'm really curious as to what she'll have to say.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Count me in for reading cookbooks also.:) I read them like novels! :laugh: You should see my gigantic cookbook collection! As for other books, they range from Homeschooling helps, textbooks, books that will help me develop certain skills (like gardening and saving money), books based on my Christian faith, history books about certain areas (like Montana, Washington State and Hawaii) and anything that has good clean humor.:)

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I love to read romance books especially historical romance.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
Right now , I'm going through a stack of True Story magazines. After that I'm off to read Doskevsky;) :toothy:

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I like to read just about anything. I really enjoy reading 1930s and 1940s books about family life especially rural living. One of my favorite books is "The Egg and I" about a husband and wife who move to the country and start a chicken farm, it is a delightful book (and was made into a great movie with Claudette Colbert and Fred MacMurray). I am also a cookbook fanatic. I have bunches of them and I am always adding to my collection.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
If it's printed, I like to read it. :D

I've been reading several of Barbara Michaels books lately. And waiting anxiously for the next installment of the Left Behind series.

I'm also waiting to see if Jean Aul is going to have another book in the Clan of the Cave Bear series.

The only thing I absolutely don't read is those darn Harliquine and Silliouhette (sp?) novels! Ugh!

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
hmmm.....that is tough to say. i don't read a whole lot. kinda hard to find quiet time with 3 kids 5 and under.:( you might think i'm strange, but right now i'm reading the first "harry potter.":toothy: i'm getting hooked after watching the movies.;)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I used to read a lot, but don't have the time anymore. When I do read, I like mysteries, and horror stories. I like different kinds of magazines.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
I will read anything, even ceral boxes..lol.

Misty, don't feel bad my sil loves Harry Potter too and she doesn't have any kids...lol.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
What a great question.

I love to read anything on homeschooling, homesteading, simple living and quilting. And I absolutely love historical fiction!!

We are all readers here. Dh loves any westerns and woodworking books. Ds#1 reads anything but loves to read about sports and history and anything to do with stats and dd reads books like the Boxcar children, Odyessey books and she is starting to read animal books.

Our family can't get enough books!! The librarians love us.

·
27,948 Posts
I like crime, drama, mystery type stories. Also love books that make me laugh.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Kathy, if you enjoy "The Egg and I," I'll bet you would enjoy Betty MacDonald's other books as well, especially "Anybody can do Anything" and "Onions in the Stew," which pick up where "The Egg and I" left off with her life story. They're all available at Amazon.com and usually very reasonably priced - I inherited my enjoyment of these books from my mom.:angel2:

I also can read just about anything (except don't care so much for the romance novels) - always have a book with me. My two favorite authors are Nikolai Gogol and Sylvia Plath (Gogol for making me laugh, and Plath for making me cry......) I also enjoy biographies, and several of the modern fiction writers, esp. Stephen King - he scares the bejeebers out of me!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't have as much time to read as I used to, but I love to read. About the only things I don't read are sports books, technical manuals, or anything really depressing. In my home, we have books on just about every topic, from romance to science fiction/fantasy to science to religion to history to...... Well, you get the idea. LOL

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I read just about anything. I do like mysteries, trillers, Nora Roberts. I am reading a book by Karen Harper called "River of Sky" set in the late 1800's, it is about Indians & life out west. Pretty good so far. I hear she also wrote, at least, two books about The Amish. I enjoy those stories also. Reading lets you Dream!:biggrin:

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
I used to read a lot, but not so much anymore. I have a very bad habit of reading until I am crosseyed! :laugh:

I used to have about 4 book clubs a month come to the house, 4 books in each club and I would be done with them in 4-5 days!! So if I pick up one book, I have to read dozens before I can stop! :crackup:

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I also love Jean Auel and The Harry Potter books. In high school some of my favorite authors were Steinbeck, Plath, and John Irving. Which may explain why I was so depressed as a teen. LOL Maybe that is why i like all the fluff now. Why as we speak my Dh is behind me egging me on saying,"Oh come on just put Danielle Steele!" MEN!! LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts