• a mini freezer

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And what do you like/dislike about it?

I've finally talked DH into buying a freezer to put in the garage so we can do more bulk shopping.

I know I want one with lots of baskets/bins as opposed to shelves, since most of my freezing is done in Food Saver bags.

I also want one that's frost free.... I think. Would I really need to defrost it that much? That seems to make a big difference in price.

We want an upright model, probably as big as we can get to fit in the space we have in mind in the garage.

Is there anything else I need to look for? Any brands better than others?

TIA!

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
We purchased a freezer in May. It's a Frigidaire frost free (auto)upright. (forget the cubic ft) sorry about that.
Anyway, I was told that manual defrost kept the foods better for longer. I plan on rotating foods quite often so wasn't too concerned with that. I also wanted my freezer in my basement and just didn't want to manually defrost it. (not that it's that much work) I just pictured me and my personality emptying out a freezer, defrosting, and refreezing and putting everything back in.
I initially wanted a chest freezer, but ended up with an upright and am happy with my decision. I like that I reach in and not down. (but will admit I am just thrilled to have a spare freezer at all and would have been happy with even the smallest of chest freezers even with manual defrost)

Happy hunting and enjoy whatever you end up getting. :)

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I have an upright in the garage, I love it ! It belonged to dh's grandmother, when she passed, we bought it for $50.00 ....... It works like a charm and we've had it for about 7 years....

·
Registered
948 Posts
I have a medium-sized chest freezer. It's great, but it's not large enough. I'm hoping to get another freezer - maybe upright, as I just have too much stuff once I'm done freezing veggies out of my garden!:D

·
27,948 Posts
We have a large chest model and it's in the basement. It's got to be about 16 yrs old,lol and still going strong. I love ours but wish I could find a way to be more organized with knowing what's in there. I'm not very good at faithfully keeping the inventory list up to date. Oh, ours is manually defrosted and we do it once a year, lol in the winter so I can put the food out in the cold to stay frozen. Could probably stand to get defrosted a little more often though, I just wouldn't know what to do with all the food while I'm doing it. I keep the thing pretty full most of the time.

This is really our only freezer as the refrigerator we bought has a freezer that's only big enough to hold ice cube trays and ice bucket. We love a large fridge and a large freezer, lol.
It's definately a good investment.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I have a medium sized chest freezer-auto defrost, and a large upright freezer-manuel defrost. I bought the chest and the upright was given to us for free and so I could not pass it up. I love the upright for the convenience of being able to see what is in it but I absolutely hate having to defrost it. I like my chest freezer but it is hard to find food in and when things are in the bottom of it is hard to reach to the bottom to get them, I love that auto defrost though.

Which ever one you get, I am sure you will love it.:D

·
TammyBob
6,981 Posts
I have a chest freezer in the garage and a upright in my laundry room we bought this past March. It's a Frigidaire commerical,frost free. I think it may be a 20 cubic feet but I could be wrong lol
I wouldn't buy one if it wasn't frost free,but thats just me :)

·
DebbieBob
1,692 Posts
I have a chest freezer in the gargage. A regular fridge with feezer on top in the garage for sodas, beer,water and bulk purchases. We have a side by side in my kitchen.
You can never have enought freezers when buying cheap or free meat!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts