Frugal Village Forums banner

61 - 80 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I confess that I buy whatever is the cheapest on sale and try to also combine the sale with a coupon. My mother lets me do laundry at her house instead of my apt. so when I go over there I use whatever she has in the laundry room.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I usually buy what is on sale. I like something with a scent. My dh likes unscented, but since I do the shopping we have scent. I got a great deal on arm and hammer a couple of weeks ago. I bought 4 large containers.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I use Sun. I really like it because it works great and it is only $1.99 for a 32 load bottle. Occasionally I can get it for a little less than that on a good sale, like $1.79, and I stock up! There are different scents and unscented. I like the Mountain Fresh. :thumb:

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
i use purex clear here too.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I use what ever is cheapest. Right now im using Gain my husband bought it when i was gone in November. When its gone ill switch back to my trusty sun since its always cheapest and works just fine for what i need it to do.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I now never flounder from tide. It just works the best and cleans better than anything. Huge diff if I switch detergents. Does anyone prefer liquid or powder specifically?

Does anyone know what ratio you would mix powder to water? I have a huge thing of powder of the brand GAIN. Although powder is supposed to save more money I find it wastes more money because the powder is so messy and I think I spilled more than I used lol I'm not sure how concentrated I'm making it as I mixed it in a bottle of Tide and added water to it. Its annoying using powder and liquid is more convenient as powder always gets stuck where u dispense, etc.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I use ALL Small & Mighty. There are coupons in the paper every few weeks, and sales usually correspond with coupon time.

I read that Consumer Reports review of detergents. I might consider switching to Tide, but frankly, we don't get our clothes dirty enough to really matter. ALL didn't do too badly, so for now, I'm happy. Now if I had kids, I might be singing a different tune.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
We use Purex liquid. There was a huge sale a last summer, and I was able to stock up in a big way. We probably have at least another year and a half before we run out. It's okay, but I might switch when we run out.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Right now I am using Arm & Hammer because it was the cheapest at the time. I prefer to find unscented detergents because I'm really sensitive to perfumes. Also I prefer powder to liquid. Finally, I'm not really DOING anything that gets my clothes dirty (except my gym clothes) so I don't use very much.

I get the feeling I do much less laundry than most on this board: I do a small load or two about every other week so in living in this house for over a year and a half I just started my second box of detergent a few months ago.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I use this no-name brand. Seems to work ok. I'm almost out of that. I've also been using up samples and my mom gave me a whole bunch of sunlight 5 load samples that I'm going to start using. I'm considering making my own.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I make my laundry soap... now, DF won't wash his clothes in anything else, it is economical, smells great AND you don't need a fabric softener

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm like Lady V, and make my own. The recipe is very simple:

2 cups of washing soda (sodium carbonate)
1 cup of grated laundry soap (we use the purest we can find, which is Sunlight soap)
1/2 cup of borax

Mix all ingredients in an icecream container or similar, use one scoop per wash. It works out to be about 10c per wash. Apart from the obvious cost savings, the clothes are cleaner, they don't have any of that horrible shiny buildup that you get with manufactured detergents; none of us have any ezcema, and it is good for the environment. I bucket out the grey water onto the garden and it THRIVES on it!!

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I use Xtra or Dynamo right now. think i'll try making some though.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I use Ultra Ecos Free and Clear, plus good ol' vinegar for the rinse. I also keep a box of Borax as an additive for really dirty, smelly laundry.

·
Registered
442 Posts
If you don't have a dispenser, just add it at the time you would normally add fabric softener (i.e., the rinse cycle)

·
Registered
580 Posts
I get the big bucket of liquid Kirkland (store-brand for Costco) free & clear. Originally we got the free & clear for dd's eczema, but now I've noticed the perfume of other brands really bothers me. It's fairly inexpensive, and the jug lasts us forever. It'll feel empty, but if you tilt the jug towards the spout, I can get another few weeks of detergent out of it.
:yeah:

We are still using our first bucket and it has lasted for MONTHS! We have one of those HE washers, I use maybe a teaspoon of it, less for cloth diapers. Definetly buying another one once we're done with it.

61 - 80 of 130 Posts