Frugal Village Forums banner
81 - 100 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
10 years ago when we lived in Vegas we put a water purification system in. (water out there is really bad) With the system we got 8 boxes of laundry detergent. With using about a tsp. of detergent in each wash we still have 4 3/4 boxes left and are 12.8 lb. boxes. Probably enough for another 4-5 years.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
In the past I have used just about everything under the sun, even homemade. Currenlty, I have been using only Tide w/fabric softner. I love the smell.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I was wondering about the trader joes soap. Thanks to those who posted about it, I think I will try it. i used to use bio-kleen. I loved it and I use just a little and it worked great. right now I use whatever is on sale, I have found the cheaper soaps (i.e. Sun,Purex,etc..) is not always the best way to go frugality wise, I tend to use more to get the clothes clean(I have boys case closed) then I would with the more expensive brands. Although, Purex powder does work better(to me) then the liquid. I feel that all powders work better then liquid.
Acidcookie~ I bought one of those Downy ball thingys and I pour my vinager in that. That way I do not have to waste time to add durning rinse cycle. I know you can benefit from time saving as you are a student:grad:
Lullaby~ its so nice to see others using cloth! I actually miss folding diapers!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I mostly use Purex (rain scent). Plus any free samples I get.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My Local Mexican Dollar Store Has 2 Types of Generic Soap That I can use Type 1 Comes in a Bag and looks like regular laundry soap , it can be used for bath soap , dishsoap , clothes soap ect , the other is a large block soap with words zapote carved in it , use it for everything under the sun , for clothes i just run it over a cheese grater a few times.

They run between 33 cents to a dollar a package

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Acidcookie~ I bought one of those Downy ball thingys and I pour my vinager in that. That way I do not have to waste time to add durning rinse cycle. I know you can benefit from time saving as you are a student:grad:
Heh, thanks! I don't think I know anything about this Downy ball though. I will have to check it out.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I just use whatever is on sale but mainly I stick to Purex (Fresh Rain Scent). I've tried 'Presidents Choice' (PC) brand and their 'No Name' brand as well.....dont really like it. There was a huge bargain on WISK in the jumbo cube jug with a spout so my dad stocked up - BIG TIME on it. I am working on the last jug. I am going to try Arm & Hammer next.

Like acidcookie said, I dont do much to make my clothes dirty and if I do, I just spot clean and let soak a bit longer or use a tiny bit more soap for that wash. I dont use the recommended amount but I am a fan of the liquid.

acidcookie - I just pour 1 cup of vinegar when the rinse water is filling up. I find doing this makes the clothes softer then they'd normally be when line/rack drying them. If clothes are that dirty or need deodorizing - I put 1 cup in the initial wash water as its filling up before I put the soap. I stop the load after its begun and let it sit. Vinegar does wonders!

Id like to make my own homeade version but I havent seen any recipes for the liquid kind. The Downey ball is a great idea for the vinegar part!

·
Licence to Kill
3,479 Posts
We use Sun. The box says 30 loads. It's 2.99/box.

Clothes smell clean and it seems to do just fine. :)

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I have been using ERA, but most of the time it's A&H, or Purex. I want to eventually try the homemade kind and see how they work with our extremely hard water. I also use the cheapest and least amount of liquid fabric softener I can find in the winter, but in the summer I only use vinegar in the rinse.

·
Registered
820 Posts
We have been married 35 years and I have never seen anything but Tide in the house.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Tide. I stray sometimes but nothing, and I mean NOTHING, cleans like Tide. lol

I recently tried the homemade stuff. Didn't work out.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Tide is definitely the favorite of my family to use...It doesn't only smell good, but it also really effective in whitening our white clothes.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
I used to use Tide, but now I make my own with ivory bar soap, washing soda and borax. It's a significant savings, I'm no longer breaking out in rashes from the detergent (I have excema too) and I'm very satisfied with how it cleans. It handles most stains very well. If something is really badly stained I will add a little oxyclean as a booster.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
arm and hammer powder or gain powder. anything else i end up having to re-wash or re-rinse.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
I used to use whatever was cheapest. However, as the years have passed and my kids have gotten older, I now use Tide. The majority of our clothes are hand-me-downs, so they've already got a few years of use in them. My kids wear clothes hard, and so I've found that Tide is the only detergent that keeps them bright and gets out all the stains. It's one of my non-frugal purchases that is well-worth it, to me.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I've just made my first batch of home-made with washing soda, Fels Naptha, and borax. If it cleans well, I won't be going back to ready-made.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Purex, stocked up last sale when I got it for 0.99 a bottle!! I have at least a years supply. I use free and clear (Purex or All) for the baby.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Costco's Kirkland brand works well for us and it lasts a long time.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I make my own and will never buy store bought detergent again. :)

81 - 100 of 130 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.