Frugal Village Forums banner

101 - 120 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had used Purex for ages and switched to Tide to help remove the BO from my husbands shirts. (he works outside) But since I have found that putting a cup of vinegar in the wash cycle does the same so I'm going back to Purex.

I wanted to make my own, but the only place I could find the Fels-Naptha soap was on amazon, and they want $5 shipping for that. I just can't bring myself to do that.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
I can't use Tide because DH is allergic to it. (Ask him about our first 3 mos. of marriage!)

I like the smell of Gain, but I USE Purex. A bit cheaper and I think it works well for me.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
I made my own for the first time and I really like it. It's the basic Duggar recipe and it has last forever and saves $$$$$

·
19,119 Posts
I make my own and am very happy with it.

Semo_mom - cannot believe that you can't find Fels-naptha in Missouri when I can find it on our little island. Next time I come to Missouri I'll bring you some!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I make my own and am very happy with it.

Semo_mom - cannot believe that you can't find Fels-naptha in Missouri when I can find it on our little island. Next time I come to Missouri I'll bring you some!!
People have told me they've seen it at Krogers in town but every single time I have made a special trip there, it's never there. :( I'll be waiting on your visit. LOL

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was a loyal Tide user but have switched to home made.

Kroger is the only store I have been able to find the Fels-naptha at where I live.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
People have told me they've seen it at Krogers in town but every single time I have made a special trip there, it's never there. :( I'll be waiting on your visit. LOL
I live in MO and the only place I have found it at is the hardware store. :)

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I use Sun & Earth's detergent. We're not allergic to the perfumes in it and you buy it in concentrate and I dilute my own. We buy it from their website.

Judi

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I have used Charlie's Soap for the past couple of years. It's priced pretty good and it works great. www.charliesoap.com

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well I made my first batch of homemade soap tonight using the Duggar's recipe. Hope I like it!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use Dr. Bronner's Magic Castille Soaps, lavender is my favorite. 2 small squirts per load with just a little bit of Borax. $8 a bottle, but one bottle has lasted me a year so far, and that is just doing laundry for me. Works well.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
semo_mom, try one of your drug stores but go to the cosmetic department and look in the beauty section where they sell shower gels, and beauty bars. This is where I found it.
I have been using All Small&Mighty for the last few years but I will soon be trying my first attempt at homemade soap as soon as I get a bucket and something to stir it with. I've been saving my empty All bottles because I like the size of them.

Cat

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I used to always use Purex. Now that we have an HE washer, we use the BJ's generic HE detergent that I think is supposed to be like Tide. Can't find the Purex HE, although my sister has told me it does exist somewhere.
I don't know if you are aware of this, but I have a front loader washing machine and when I was going to purchase it the salesperson said I had to use special soap. I said I couldn't buy it because I had too much stocked laundry soap. He looked it up in the book and you can use regular detergeant just 1/2 the amount. Problem is if you use full strength there are too many suds because of the less water

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Just this last week, I made my 1st batch of homemade. The recipe makes 2 gallons. I've used it several x's, so far-so good. I found Fels-Naptha @ my home store. Remember, it's in the laundry aisle. My Borax & washing soda came from Walmart. Since I use only 1 tsp of fabric softener per load, I buy, Purex, from the $Store...last forever. But when this bottle is gone, I will make homemade, using cheap hair conditioner. I date my bottles with permanent marker..just to see how long they last.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I like Tide the best, but typically I buy whatever I can buy on sale, which is usually All Small & Mighty, Tide, Cheer, Gain, Arm & Hammer.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I use the homemade but I do keep a bottle of Gain on hand to add to my homemade. I use a capful to a bottle of homemade...just gives it that Gain smell..

As far as cold water, I haven't had any problems with it.

101 - 120 of 130 Posts