Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My house has some stark areas and I'm working on cozying it up a bit. Any of you have tips on what makes a cozy home? I'll post before and after pics in a few days.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Quilts!! Wall hanings, table toppers, lap quilts folded over rocking chairs, etc....

Nothin' says cozy like a quilt!! (I may be biased!)

·
Registered
501 Posts
To me, no matter what your decorating style, personal touches make a home cozy. Family photos, kid's artwork on the fridge or cabinets, etc. Light a few candles and you've got cozy to me. The most stark apartment can be warmed up with personal touches that remind you of your loved ones. That's just me.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Cats! Just seeing my 3 cats lounging around and hearing them purr gives me a cozy feeling.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I like plants. Unfortunately so do my cats. SOOOOOO, I have many "silk" plants and only two live plants strategically placed.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well, I think this might echo what everyone else said, but quilts, blankets, throw pillows, candles, family photos, etc. all give warmth and coziness to a home. Flowers do well, too. I used to buy a bouquet of flowers once a week along with my groceries. That way, we always had fresh flowers in the house. You could always use fake ones. Sometimes they look just as pretty in a vase. Get creative and have fun!

·
Registered
962 Posts
It's whatever makes your heart sing.

Cozy to me is a nice chair or couch to snuggle up in. Nice soft throws and pillows for catnapping. Scented candles burning. My favorite books and magazines close by. Personal touches that make me smile when I look at them.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I looove seeing a few great books around that are just waiting for me to see them. I think that the cozy factor comes from the little details. Wall sconces are so nice, we have received more compliments on ours. The cast a beatiful splash of light on a wall. I think nice baskets are homey. A collection of anything is great. A nice blanket thrown on a chair is so inviting. Different textures in a room makes for interest (like others said, quilts, blankets.) Different lines...for example, if the room is very square or boxy, try an oval coffee table. Homey doesn't mean cluttered. I think that the two get confused.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree that a clean smelling home is cozy along with scented candles. But often overlooked is LIGHTING.A room with one ceiling bulb is cold and stark.A room that mixes ambiant lighting and task lighting makes any clean room look cozy. Oh I forgot!!!! a fire!!!

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Fabric
Flowers
Fire
Furniture

These four F's can combine to spell "cozy."

Personally, I like books and art also in a room.

·
Registered
213 Posts
You know what they said on a decorating show once? "When you light everything, you light nothing." It's SO true! It's better to have a few lamps in the room then it is to have one big one hanging from the ceiling.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I love quilts too. I have them everywhere in my home. I roll them and put them in baskets, fold them over doors, sometimes put them over the dining room table, have one hanging out of my antique oak clawfoot dresser in my family room, etc. I think that quilts are so inviting. I also love white crochet table cloths or dolies. I love to put vintage sterling silver picture frames, candlesticks, spoons in a crystal cup, small trinket plates, etc on them. There is just something obout silver and crochet white. I love the smaller decor lamps too and there are so many cute ones to choose from. Love all of your ideas here!

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Prim Country decorating is cozy to me.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
It sounds like everyone has their own ideas of what makes a home cozy. I think you should sit down and make a list of things you like, just everything you can think of that you really like to see. My list would look something like...

red
flowers
vintage
white
pets
yellow
glass
baskets
uncluttered
hanging lamps, etc.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Bookcases crammed full of good books that just invites you to sink into a comfy chair to read.

Cats. Must have purry-furries.

A nice kitchen that is actually used, not just a show-piece. Drives me nuts when families that can't/won't cook and have no interest in even trying to learn, have the uber-modern kitchen crammed full of every appliance under the sun, industrial restaurant-grade behemoth refrigerators, giant stoves with all the bells and whistles just collecting dust. It's silly, put the money on things you will actually use.

I guess I just like the feeling that whatever is in a house is there because someone actually uses it or loves it, not just there to be trendy.

·
Registered
153 Posts
quilts, afghans, candles, pillows-those are what I like and use.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Bookcases crammed full of good books that just invites you to sink into a comfy chair to read.

Cats. Must have purry-furries.

Yep! Full bookcases, candles, flowers fave mags, plants, sewing or craft basket, a nice rug, pictures and pooties :cat:! :rose:

I'd like to come visit your house FrugalWitch

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
What a great thread. Yes to cats! lol as I have 3 myself. Just something about those cute furry babes.

Candles and all kinds of lamps big and small. Love it. I have like this routine where I turn on my favorite lamps at night with a candle or two burning while I spend my time here.lol I even like caraseen(sp) lamps!

I love books, but I think I used to go overboard before. Now I just keep a small bookshelf in the kitchen. Some in my headboard in the bedroom.

Mirrors. No I don't like to see myself in them, lol but I love the frames and reflections.

I have a ton of Paris stuff in my house. I am a French junkie.

A few angel stuff. Wine bottle pictures in my kitchen. Well, just wine stuff. :p

Wicker!!! Lots of it.

I love real plants but my cats eat them, so I just have a few fake ones.

I love sports blankets folded cute in the living room in the winter time. I know I know...

Lots of pillows on my bed and on my couches.

A backyard deck is huge for me. Very cozy and spend a lot of time there with family.

The colors taupe, green, silver, and blue.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts