Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What to you makes the South distinct? I haven't been to many places but the few I have seem very rushed, it seems more laid back in the South.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
What to you makes the South distinct? I haven't been to many places but the few I have seem very rushed, it seems more laid back in the South.
It's a lot of things, yes we are more laid back. It's the whole attitude of southerners, actually. We're more polite, have more grace, and are more hospitable. We are not, as my mother would say, "rude, crude, and socially unacceptable".

Southern women are the best! They can cut you to shreds with the sweetest smile on their face. Like if you are wearing something hideous, they will say "That's an interesting outfit". "Interesting" is an insult. Never doubt it, as in when you're telling them some story, and they say "Isn't that interesting?"

Also "Bless his/her/your heart!" can be an insult. Depends on the context, but sometimes they'll say something like "Well, you know she just can't seem to keep a job, bless her heart".

Southern women are always "appalled"...this is the ultimate disapproval, as in "I'm just appalled at what he said last night!" or "Lord, those new neighbors are just appalling! Have you seen what they did to that yard? But you know, they're from Ohio." Being from up north is automatically assumed to be a character defect.

These are actual examples from my life growing up in the south. I love being a GRITS (Girls Raised in the South), and I'd never try to be anything else.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL My pastor told us during a sermon that it's still gossip if it's ended with Bless her heart LOL

·
Registered
713 Posts
I think it also has to do with honoring your history and traditions. I'm not talking about Confederate flags (although everyone knows there's a lot of those down here) but more like family history, accomplishments in the region, favorite recipes passed down, respect for elders, etc.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I think the easy going, hospitality and charm are part of it. I think our family ties are another. I know other communities will pull together after a disaster, but not like we do. I know after Katrina, it was everyone pulling together, putting on our big-girl britches and going to work. It definately wouldn't happen like that in California (no offense CA). We look at ourselves as extended family (regardless of blood or marital ties) and treat folks the way we treat family members (including that crazy cousin everyone wishes would just pull it together - lol)

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tigo that is so true! I wouldn't know about the California part though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts