Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Uph! Ouch! Oh! Ugggg.... groaaaaaaaan........

The above sounds were courtesy of my body telling me it hurts tonight. I worked today at our new church putting together cabinets, then came home and did yard work and then washed windows.

A few years ago I would have done this and then played kickball or gone for a jog. But that was then and this is now, and I HURT!!!!

I was in pretty good shape for my age until last year when I suddenly began having trouble walking, climbing stairs, standing, up or getting up off the floor. It reached the point where I could only go up a step if there was something to grab so that I could pull myself up. I had worked out at a gym regularly, and had to give that up as the pain became too intense. I could not walk very long, and I had always been a good walker. And my body had always been super flexible, and now it was becoming stiff.

I went to the doc who had some tests run. He concluded that I was losing the cushioning in the joints. He had me go to physical therapy, which helped some, but not enough. I was beginning to think that I would end up crippled.

I decided to increase my fish oil supplements, while still trying to stay as active as possible. That helped. I began soaking a little more in a hot bath which helped. I also rarely get down to the floor, but instead use a small stool. That way I can get back up more easily. I now can walk and take stairs much better, but I still have some trouble getting to a standing position from a sitting position. So with a few little changes, I am still active.

All this rambling to say that for years I had wondered which part of my body would wear out first. As active as I always was, I never dreamed that it would be knees and hips.

So tonight, my body says "ENOUGH! Give it a rest!". So guess that's what I'll do.

What part of your body do you think will be the first to wear out?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Knees and lower back. This is not a prediction, but a news report.

I wonder which of us says ouch and groans louder? There are even some nights I come to work at the library and tell my college student assistants that they will just have to be my feet for the evening. Happily they are all helpful and good natured about it, and cheerfully do all the walking around and pushing cart tasks.

·
Registered
177 Posts
When I read just your subject line and not your post, my first thought was KNEES. I know my grandmother had a lot of trouble with her knees in her elder years and I've always thought they'd be the first thing to go on my body.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Hmmm...........

My eyes are going fast. I don't like that because I do a lot of knitting and quilting.

My neck and rt. shoulder--from knitting, I suppose. It aches sometimes so badly I need to take a day off.

But I'm doing fairly well for 53. I'm OK to do hard work yet.

I'm not looking forward to having the things going on that you do, forHISglory.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I predict it will be my eyes and my neck area.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I am only 56 years old. My neck was the first to go. That happened so many years ago. I believe that hanging my head over a desk for all those years contributed to that. Next is my hands, they constantly get the tingling numb sensation. It helps to put a pillow under my elbow to straighten out my arms, this relieves the numbness.
Then we have the eyes. I wear readers to look at close up items or to read. Daily my eyesight goes blurry, mainly because my eyes get dry. So I use eye drops to moisten them when they get blurry. This is not a very good thing to have happen when you are driving.

Now it is my joints. My left knee has arthritis and 3 bone spurs in it, I saw the x-ray to prove it. I wonder if that is what is has been wrong with my neck all these years.

Whine, whine, whine.

·
27,948 Posts
I'm guessing my knees or ankles, they have been so easy to injure. :dis:

·
Registered
723 Posts
I think my knees because after I have been sitting awhile it is kinda hard to get going (like my legs don't want to walk)......:( My neck is also a possibility because it will easily get stiff and kind of out of whack (and boy does that hurt). A few quick trips to my chiropractor will usually fix it right up till the next time........

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
When I had chemo it ruined my teeth, and my ankles and knees. So those are already in the process of going.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
I am on borrowed time wth my hips already. I am just trying to wait a few more years before I have them replaced.
(my younger brother had his first one replaced a few weeks ago already...he is 35)

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
No doubt about it, since I'm already afllicted with back and hip pain. They both run on my dad's side of the family...have cousins who've already had hip replacements (at about 45). I'm doing my best to stay in shape with low impact stuff and keep moving......this in my humble opinion is the worst part of getting older.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I think my knee's and lower back. Have had some symptoms and can't do high impact exercise but I keep on pushing. ;)

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I'm almost 50...my knees have been shot since I was about 35. I see replacements in my future :-(
It's not the years...it's the milage!

·
Registered
590 Posts
I had been chugging along pretty good util recently and my knees started acting "old", so I am going to say that my knees and shoulder/neck area will get hit first.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Forgot to say that my mom has hip, knee problems, so I wasn't too surprised that mine are affected. I was just surprised to have it happen so young!

The part that I don't want to ever wear out are my eyes. Right now I don't even wear glasses or contacts except for some reading when I am tired. But my mom is going blind from macular degeneration and its scary.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Hi,

I guess for me it'd be my knees and lower back and my eyes are getting some worse but I need new glasses so that'd fix them. :)

Getting older isn't all that it's cracked up to be, is it? :lol:

Love,

Jen

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Definitely my hips, eyes, and back. My back has bothered me since having children (and even more since the ladder accident in December). I broke my hip when I was 17 (and therefore have an artificial hip & screws & plates in my pelvis), and I was born nearly blind in my right eye. So, in addition to all the usual "old age" moans and groans, I have those "challenges". :)

I think the key is to take care of ourselves...eat right, rest, and don't over-do. Listen to our bodies when they're telling us to slow down. I think that's easier than done though...especially when I still feel 20 yrs younger than I am :laugh:

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
I was thinking about this thread the other day when my rt. shoulder was aching. LOL!

I used to do yoga several times a week and never got the ach-eys. I had stopped for about 18 mos. (just busy and couldn't find my mat :pin:) and started up again recently. Oooooh, the stretching feels so good! It isn't a cure-all, and isn't going to help make your joints like you're 25 yrs old, but boy, the flexibility returns (slowly) and everything relaxes and feels loose. Aaaahh.

Try yoga.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I'm gonna say my back. I spent a year waiting tables starting when my youngest was 1 year old. I was 34 and every morning I would wake up and my back was killing me...along with my heel spurs. They had hard ceramic tiles floors to walk/stand on through out the restaurant. Not good for us "old" people. I bought some cushy mats for home around that time because I couldn't bear to stand to cook, do dishes, laundry, etc. before work.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts