Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your thermostat set for? What is the temp outside?

It is 34 here today and I am keeping it at 68 inside.

·
Registered
922 Posts
We are 35 also today. I keep it on 66 until the deep cold sets in and then it goes to 68.
It is an apartment so it stays pretty comfortable.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Its set at 72 but it never is. We have the addition w/ the separate wall space heater because they didnt run proper duct under it. Plus I run individual space heaters where ever I am

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Today inside I keep it at 72, outside it is 46.
I also have clothes drying inside to bring up the humidity.

·
Registered
413 Posts
It is 25 F outside, and I'm filling the stove with wood to get the temperature inside up above 60F. 62-64F is comfortable, if it approaches 70F it gets far too warm.

·
Super Moderator
2,130 Posts
For the first time in YEARS I have central heat (in a cold climate). No more wood stoves for me!! Heat and hot water are supplied with the rent. Two zone, hot water baseboard heat. Upstairs I keep at 65 but it stays warmer, I think a loop of my landlord's zone goes through my bathroom and the thermostat is right outside the bathroom door.

Downstairs I would like to keep at about 72 but the circulator pump, I think, is not working. Right now I have it on 76 and it is 70 at the warm end of the living room and about 66 at the cold end. The baseboards are warm but not hot. Also there is an added-on kitchen with a lot of glass (like a sunroom) that has electric heat, which I do not use. It is built on a deck with no insulation underneath. Always cold in the winter and hot in the summer. Really poor design. Not to mention the skylights leak.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
It was 27F this morning, and we have our heat set at 65F. We vary between 65 and 68.

·
Registered
286 Posts
We keep it at 68. It was 9 degrees this a.m. here in NH and got up to 26, but back down to single digits tonite. We have heavy curtains so it stays fairly warm inside and when you are chilly there's always 2 willing austrailian shepherds ready to cuddle!

·
Registered
175 Posts
A year or so ago we replaces the thermostat with one that programs. So it's set to 65 when we're here and awake and 60 when we're asleep or gone. If it's my day off and generally leave it at 60 and wear a sweater and drink lots of coffee. Unless it's just too chilly that day, then I turn it up to 65. If it's sunny I usually don't need to, but if it's cloudy? Brrr.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
not sure what temperature is out side at night i turn it down to 62 next morning i set it on 70 most of time i can live with that have had to turn up some in day time.

·
Registered
413 Posts
We have district heating. It's about 40 F outside, and the house is 72 F inside right now.
Is that like zone heating?
District heating is quite common in Europe. Many towns, villages or neighborhoods have one or several heating central, and then they use a network of pipes to spread hot water. Often it is surplus heat from industry, burning of waste, etc. Sometimes it is based on bioenergy, but it can also be from oil or gas, especially for peak load on very cold days. The prices are often quite good.

·
Registered
175 Posts
That sounds interesting. I'm guessing you can control your temperatures settings or is that centrally controlled as well? (Completely ignorant here. )

·
Registered
413 Posts
That sounds interesting. I'm guessing you can control your temperatures settings or is that centrally controlled as well? (Completely ignorant here. )
Yes, you set the temperatures in your house as normal, regulate the radiators up an down, etc. It might be a bit slower to react, since it is water based.

From an energy efficiency point of view, district heating is great. Economically, electricity is to cheap in Norway for anything else to compete, but in Denmark I’ve heard you can get payback on the investments in less than a year (and save a lot of money after the initial year).

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm home with at least one child every day so we keep it between 68-70. Today it's only been in the low double-digits so we've had it around 71. We turn it down to about 67 at night.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yes, you set the temperatures in your house as normal, regulate the radiators up an down, etc. It might be a bit slower to react, since it is water based.

From an energy efficiency point of view, district heating is great. Economically, electricity is to cheap in Norway for anything else to compete, but in Denmark I’ve heard you can get payback on the investments in less than a year (and save a lot of money after the initial year).
That's neat.

By the way, I'm half Swedish. So you and I are either "cousins" or feuding, depending upon your perspective. ;)

Reactions: gaja

·
Registered
432 Posts
64 in the evening 68 during the day....its BRRRRRR here right now 17 out there. we have three zones for the heat. Ooooooo I hear an owl! great horned owl. I was walking one morning and saw him! I thought he was a cat til he flew up to the sky! amazing!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought a new house month ago and the heating system is so cool here. It has a nice panel and the temperature is changing quite faster than in my parents' house. So it's 44 F outside and in the house is 70 F. I am a cold handed person so I need a bit more warmth. I love this house by the way. I worked a lot and my parents helped me to purchase a nice house from badya palm hills. So thanks to them I can live separately with my daughter since her father left us. Anyways, I think a new life starting in a new house! Take care.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts