Frugal Village Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
We keep it at 68....We used to put it at 65 during the day and 68 at night....I am cold all the time and sometimes, those temps are to o cold for me but I try to wear lots of clothes and drink hot liquids. If that doesn't work, I jump under the electric blanket.

·
Super Moderator
2,132 Posts
I have a big living room, like 15' x 24', hot water baseboard heat on the two long walls. Two very old and drafty windows in one long wall and the other is shared with an unheated kitchen built on a deck. I would like to keep it at 72 F but if I set the thermostat at that, it is too cold. I think the heat is inadequate for this space. I set it higher but I still get cold in the evenings, my chair is near one of the windows. Can't complain too much, heat is included in rent. Some nights I just go upstairs early. Upstairs is nice and cozy, it has new windows.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Jo- We have drafty windows in our home and honestly, they need to be replaced. The plastic frame on one has separated from the glass. I have put a plastic tape over the frame but it didn't help. I got prices on new windows and they're costly. The thing is, there are smaller windows above the sliding windows and I don't know how drafty those are and we didn't get a cost on replacement.
We replaced 3 windows in our rental at a price of $5000. One was a bathroom window (30" x 40") and 2 living room windows (30" x 54") and they were name brand (andersen). They made a huge difference in keeping heat in as they sit above radiators and keep noise level down as the building is on a busy road. And that price was a sale price as the month of november is when sales are slow so they gave us discounts.

·
Super Moderator
2,132 Posts
Jo- We have drafty windows in our home and honestly, they need to be replaced. The plastic frame on one has separated from the glass. I have put a plastic tape over the frame but it didn't help. I got prices on new windows and they're costly. The thing is, there are smaller windows above the sliding windows and I don't know how drafty those are and we didn't get a cost on replacement.
We replaced 3 windows in our rental at a price of $5000. One was a bathroom window (30" x 40") and 2 living room windows (30" x 54") and they were name brand (andersen). They made a huge difference in keeping heat in as they sit above radiators and keep noise level down as the building is on a busy road. And that price was a sale price as the month of november is when sales are slow so they gave us discounts.
The new landlord moved in Oct. 2019 and is now paying for the heat in his part of the house, mine, and the VERY drafty apt. over the barn. You would think he would be motivated to do some insulation and replace windows (they're all very old except for 3 that were replaced in the rental units). But nope.

·
Registered
10,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Wow, those were some expensive windows! When we had ours done (5 30x54", and 1 small kitchen window) they were about $200 each. Double pane glass, double hung windows. Lowered our electric bill by 30%. We had old metal frames with single pane glass, that were stuck shut.

Anyhow, right now we keep the heat at 68 during the day and 63 at night. It is actually 71 in here right now because we had sun during the day.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
wow that is expensive.. with the tiling etc seems like you are in a exp area for home renos. We have replaced a few windows 2ft by 3ft etc just go to home depot and $200 basically. ..even our big living room window that needs replacing is about $500. now labour to put in it can be costly but really it was taking off all the siding and putting it all back properly was the money and think for 2 sides of the house and the bathroom window... $1500 plus $600 in windows.

dh put plastic over the front window cus drafty! and the front door which I am in between. basement door was so drafty.. had to have oil heater on. plus another for bedroom down there. we get the sun in the morning so can be quite warm 80s in living room and 60s in the bedroom but I like the house 70 to 76 depending on the cold and damp. the house hold heat so if it is warmer outside furnace doesn't go off as much. the rest of the windows are drafty too and need redoing.. they were done in the 80s.

now we don't get really cold here though and I am sitting in a caftan and heating pad lol so could turn it down more if needed but natural gas isn't that expensive here.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Well......I live in Florida....but it does get cold here. So far I haven't needed the heat but my home office was only 68 when I woke up. Neither the heat nor the A/C has been necessary for the past three weeks.

In the Summer, the A/C comes on if the inside gets above 74. My level of comfort for sleeping is between 68 and 74. My electric bill has never been over $100 a month and that covers everything. I do have triple pane windows and, I'm sure, they help a lot.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
We keep the heat at 74 during the day and 68 at night....Texas but it does get cold....I have insulted drapes on all the windows....not that many really...one in each bedroom and a double one in our bedroom....only one long window in living room...I think the drapes help...our windows are the original ones when house was build in 1980....people are always knocking on door wanting to give us an estimate to replace but husband doesn't see a need since we don't live in cold weather area.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Suppose you have a family of four: parents and two children, a boy and a girl. You and your wife work a lot remotely, and you need two separate offices. Cabinet, as a rule, is oriented to the north so that the work does not interfere with the sun. Children need different rooms. In this case, it is better if the children will be equal: the same area and facing the same direction windows, for example, south or east. A child may feel less loved if his room is smaller than that of a brother or sister. Be sure to have a parent's bedroom (preferably with a walk-in closet). To consider all these points, you need to contact the designers, or better to hchoose a plan that you and your family will be satisfied with.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts