Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
like to do or make/bake etc that you've only known to come from your family doing it that way?

I make jello w/marshmellows on top & bananas mixed in (got from my Grandma)... :rollsmile I'm the only 1 I know that ever makes it that way... what do you like to make, bake, or do that not many people do but you do b/c it was done by grandparents/parents etc...

Kim

·
4,028 Posts
My Mom pokes holes in an angel food cake and submerges the cake into a bowl (seal-able lid) of jello and puts it upside down in the fridge for 30 mins to let it partially set then flips it over so it can finish setting. Just about all of the jello soaks into the cake but the middle is still nice and angel food white. :)

Fruit placed in the bowl first is very good too.

No one else I know makes jello cake this way and it is my all time favorite summer time treat.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I always start my pork chops, sausages etc. in water, simmer until the water is gone and then fry them.

I make pizzas with unusual toppings: broccoli; parsley; sausage meat and onions, no red sauce.

I keep keep my hard cheese wrapped in a vinegar soaked cloth in a plastic bag in the crisper in the fridge.

I use the brown Lysol liquid to clean the bathroom.

·
19,119 Posts
What great dishes you all have!! Cannot think of a thing myself - but love reading yours!!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
from dh's late mom:

A frugal meal she used to fix for her boys was "macweinners" and they loved it.

It's just boiled elbow macaroni, drained really well, with cooked sliced weinners, butter, salt & pepper.

Still fix it occassionally for dh, dd & grandson.
My dd and I used to have that.............we loved it and it was cheap!!
If we were really 'flush' we could toss some cheese in too. :laugh:

I can't thing of anything real specific........love the ideas posted.

Ceas--That angel food cake one sounds yummy.....have to try it.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I make macaroni salad the way my mom did - just macaroni, onions, celery, pepper, mayo, and the secret ingredient, celery salt. I also make bread pudding ala Grandma. She layered whole slices of bread with raisins and cinnamon sugar, then poured the custard mixture over it all. It comes out of the oven with a lovely texture.

·
Registered
586 Posts
We always had bananas sliced on toast with butter. That is the only way I eat bananas.

My grandmother used to make brown rimmed cookies. I thought it was her own recipe, when she passed away I found the recipe in her recipe box and it was cut out of a newspaper from Crisco! She was the only one who ever made them and they were delicious. We try to make them but they never come out like hers.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
When growing up, my brother and I use to always eat 'bread with butter and sugar'. Fresh homemade bread, spread butter and top with white sugar. Loved it and still endulge once in a while....but now I know how bad butter and sugar are so I try not to have it to often. :)

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I make a cooked salad dressing that's used over potato salad, ham salad, etc. instead of the typical mayo dressing.

I also make ham croquettes with Au Gratin Potatoes. I don't know a soul who makes this meal. I serve it with homemade yeasty bread filled with a lightly sweetened cheese. Big around here.

And like shoiji, I make shoo fly pie, sweet and sour dressing, and PA Dutch potato filling. She's right in that not many outside of this region cook this way. I like to pull out all the stops when out of state visitors are around. PA Dutch cooking always gets rave reviews from out of staters.

·
Registered
904 Posts
My grandfather would always make gravy with fatback grease. To this day that is the only gravy I like.

He would also use it to fry corn fresh off the cob and fresh apples. I know it isn’t healthy, but I sure do love it. Not figured out if it is the taste or the memory that I love though.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
When growing up, my brother and I use to always eat 'bread with butter and sugar'. Fresh homemade bread, spread butter and top with white sugar. Loved it and still endulge once in a while....but now I know how bad butter and sugar are so I try not to have it to often. :)
Mom use to put a folded over slice like this in our lunch box sometimes as dessert. YUM!!!! My kids will ask for it too!

~ syrup mixed with peanut butter then spread on bread

~ spaghetti with oil and garlic on the dinner plate, then we'd take a big spoon of tuna salad and mix it in with it

~ a spoon of peanut butter in my grits

~ blue claw crabs in spaghetti sauce - I'm sure somebody else cooks blueclaws down in homemade sauce but I've never heard anyone else ever mention it

I'm sure there's more but I can't seem to think right now

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
This topic reminded me of this story:

A mother was preparing the pot-roast for Sunday’s big family dinner. Before searing it and placing it in the pan, she carefully sliced the ends off. Her three year-old daughter asked “Mommy, why do you cut the ends off the roast?”

She answered, “My mom taught me to do it that way, and it’s delicious, so it must be a good idea. Maybe the juices from the meat mix with the vegetables?”

Everyone sits down for dinner, and when Father is serving the roast, the daughter remembers her question. She turns to Grandma and asks, “Grandma, why did you teach Mommy to cut the ends off the roast?”

Grandma thinks for a moment and says, “What a delightful question! I always used to cut the ends off the roast, it’s how my mother taught me. I don’t know why she did that, there must have been a good reason.” Grandma sits for a moment, remembering her mother. “Well,” she continues, ” there must have been a good reason. Now eat your dinner before it gets cold!”

The holidays roll around, and they’re having dinner at Grandma and Grandpa’s house. “Hey!” Grandma says to the little girl, “You know what, I was going through your great-grandmother’s things, and I found the old roast pan. We sure made some good pot roast in it. Let’s make pot roast with it tonight in her honour!”

They get out the pan and wash it up. It’s old, and well-seasoned. Grandma looks it over. “It’s smaller than I remember. I was a little girl, and everything looks bigger when you’re small!”

They put the roast on the counter before searing it. Just then, Grandpa walks by. “Do you want me to cut the ends off the roast?” he asks. “It’s the only way you’ll get it to fit in that small pan.”

Grandma and the little girl look at each other. And they smile.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.