Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every couple of months, at work, we have a building potluck lunch. Usually it's not a problem, but this month, they want it to be healthy. I'm sure there are going to be tons of veggies and fruit with dips, so I'd like something a little different. The only problem is, I have no idea what to make! Can anyone help with their favourite healthy potluck recipes?
Thanks!

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I'm thinking salads: bean salad and incorporate fresh green beans into it as well, broc & bacon salad, layered salad - looks impressive!

What about homemade hummus and baked pita chips cut into triangles.

·
Registered
904 Posts
WOW, I'm from the south and was going to suggest wet choc cake as it always goes over well at pot lucks. Somehow I think it may miss the mark at yours.

how about a fruit platter? Not sure of the cost there, but they are healthy and everyone likes them.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
If they/you have a hot plate and pot or perculator, how about hot spiced cider? Bascially just apple cider and cinnamin, clove, nutmeg, and orange rind. I know a couple of places have the cider mix in a cheese cloth bag for easier clean up but if you have a perculator with the bin where the coffee grinds go, that's easier. Try not to get the dry 'cider' mixes since a lot of them are basically flavored sugar.

Or you could bring in bread and cheeses to go with all the veggies. Veggie/cheese boards are my old standby for pot lucks.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Ham roll ups... thin sliced ham, a little soft cream cheese rolled around a fresh green onion. Always goes fast @ our reunions. The veggie pizza, above, sounds delish-right now! :)

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
A simple soup like chicken noodle, or vegetables in broth?

·
27,948 Posts

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
i was going to suggest hummus and pita and cucumbers...but, that has already been suggested.

what about a healthier version of mac-n-cheese? whole wheat pasta, 2% fat cheeses?

i sometimes make and bring many places this: roast asparagus w/ olive oil, salt and pepper. not too done though! make a dressing of OO, balsamic and some fresh parsley and fresh garlic cloves and pour that over the asparagus when ready to serve..it is good!

what about celery stuffed w/ low or no fat cream cheese and sprinkled w/ paprika? everybody likes that!

·
Registered
10,995 Posts

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
A fruit salad can be made really inexpesive with a can of pineapple, two cut up apples, and grapes. See what fruit is on sale the week of the potluck.

Do you know how to make california rolls? They are pretty inexpensive to make. Most people like them.

How about making a fruit granata? Basically it is just pure fruit juice frozen and flaked with a fork when freezing. Could have some nice vanilla cookies to go with it. You could use an ice holder to put the granata in.

How about a vegetarian lasagna? Even something simple like sliced zucchini with tomato sauce and onions and seasonings would be a good idea. Cheap also.

A rice pilaf with diced up veggies.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.