Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas on a meal to take for someone who just had a baby? My friend will be taking a salad and bread. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
if your friend is taking bread & a salad, i would make a big pan of spaghetti. that way she will have left overs & be able to warm them up again the next day. i'm a member of this moms group that takes dinners to women & their families who just had babies & i always take bread, salad & spaghetti!!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Chili is another easy to freeze/reheat meal. :)

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Well. . . I'd avoid the spaghetti, manicotti, ravioli dishes . . . when I had my dd, we got 2 solid weeks of that-- nothing else! Plus, if she's nursing -- spices might not be a good idea.

I always make either ham/augratin potatoes, or beef stew.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Here is a wonderful, comfort dish that will go well with the salad and bread your friend is taking.

Creamy Chicken and Noodles

1 (10 oz.) envelope Italian dressing mix
1 (8 oz. ) package wide egg noodles
2 Tbsp. butter, softened
3 cups chopped cooked chicken (can use rotisserie chicken from deli in a pinch)
1 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley

Remove 1 Tbsp. italian dressing mix from envelope, and set aside; reserve remaining mix for another use.

Cook noodles according to package directions; drain well, and return noodles to pan.

Stir in 2 Tbsp. butter, and toss to coat. Stir in chopped chicken, next 3 ingredients, and the 1 Tbsp. dressing mix.

Cook mixture over medium-high heat, tossing to coat evenly, 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Muffins, banana breads or the like freeze well and they make good breakfasts & snacks.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Meat loaf! Its a tried and true item here. Always given and gotten when the need has arisen.

Laurie in BRadenton

·
Registered
161 Posts
I took taco fixin's to a lady last year. They seemed to like it a lot. Of course, if she had just had a baby, that might be too spicy, but the rest of the family has to eat too!!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Some of the things people brought me which I really appreciated were:

Meatloaf, homemade mac & cheese, mashed potatoes

Chicken enchiladias

Vegetable soup

Chocolate cupcakes

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
No one brought me food. It would have made me upset if they did. I would have appreciated the gesture, but I've always been raised that if I need help, I ask for it. I am just too independent, that kind of stuff smothers me...and after Wesley was born he spent 5 days in NICU, so when we got home, I didn't want anyone there, I just wanted me, Zac, and our baby. Plus, my recovery time was not as bad as I thought it would be and I was able to do pretty much everything around the house. Again jsut me....

maybe stuff she can freeze? Lasagna, Vegetable Soup.

·
Registered
579 Posts
what i think is the best, is either fruit platters or muffins baskets, nursing women should snack alot on healthy things....again dont overload on the saucy casserole stuff....when my friends brought home their adopted daughter, i had a full meal waiting to be warmed up, roast beef, potatoes, broccolli and of course a celebratory cake!!

we have 2 friends expecting , and i plan on making muffin baskets...

·
Registered
182 Posts
I tend to agree with sunshine. When I had dd2, our church had planned to cook for us for 2 weeks and I politely asked them to save it for someone else the second week. Too spicy and too much thrown out.

Out of 7 meals, I was only able to eat one due to spices and nursing. I loved the ham dinner a friend provided.

I love the idea of a muffin basket or fruit platter.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I also would suggest muffins fruit and snack things. When I had my boys many years ago, friends sent dinner items, most got thrown away, because there was just too much prepared food. When one of my best friends had a baby not long ago, I sent a gift cert. to a local rest. that has wonderful fresh food to go, along with a basket of homemade quick breads, and muffins.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I'm like the lady who would be hurt if people started bringing me food.
I had a baby ( I didn't have major heart surgery, although they didn't bring me food then either )

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
This is one of my favorite recipes for taking to a new mom. It is easy to make and freezes great. It is from recipezaar.
Chicken or Turkey Tetrazzini Casserole Recipe #190135

Three flavors of canned soup takes the place of a creamed sauce for this recipe. Try not to overcook the pasta as it will cook more in the oven. This is really good!
by KITTENCAL
6-8
servings
1¼ hours 35 min prep

<TABLE class=ingredients><TBODY><TR><TD class=amt>1 (16 </TD><TD>ounce) package thin spaghetti </TD></TR><TR><TD class=amt>3 </TD><TD>tablespoons butter </TD></TR><TR><TD class=amt>1 </TD><TD>large onion, chopped </TD></TR><TR><TD class=amt>1-2 </TD><TD>tablespoon fresh minced garlic </TD></TR><TR><TD class=amt>1 </TD><TD>jalapeno pepper (seeded and finely chopped) (optional) </TD></TR><TR><TD class=amt>2 </TD><TD>cups sliced fresh mushrooms (or use one can sliced drained mushrooms) </TD></TR><TR><TD class=amt>1/2 </TD><TD>cup chicken broth or turkey broth </TD></TR><TR><TD class=amt>3-5 </TD><TD>cups chopped cooked chicken or cooked turkey </TD></TR><TR><TD class=amt>1 (10 </TD><TD>ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted </TD></TR><TR><TD class=amt>1 (10 </TD><TD>ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted </TD></TR><TR><TD class=amt>1 (10 </TD><TD>ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted </TD></TR><TR><TD class=amt>1 (8 </TD><TD>ounce) container sour cream </TD></TR><TR><TD class=amt>1/2 </TD><TD>cup grated parmesan cheese </TD></TR><TR><TD class=amt>1 1/2 </TD><TD>cups grated cheddar cheese, divided </TD></TR><TR><TD class=amt>1 </TD><TD>cup frozen peas (optional) </TD></TR><TR><TD class=amt></TD><TD>seasoning salt </TD></TR><TR><TD class=amt></TD><TD>black pepper </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  1. Set oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Butter a 13 x 9-inch casserole dish (or an oval casserole dish).
  3. Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling water until al dente; drain then transfer to a large bowl then toss with the chicken broth and all three canned soups, cooked chicken or turkey, sour cream, Parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup grated chedder cheese and frozen peas (if using) toss well to combine.
  4. In a large skillet melt butter; add in the mushrooms and cook until all the liquid is removed (about 10 minutes).
  5. To the skillet with the mushrooms, add in onions, garlic and jalapeno pepper (if using) saute until onions are soft; add to the soup mixture.
  6. Using a wooden spoon mix all ingredients together until well combined.
  7. Season with seasoned salt and pepper (or white salt).
  8. Transfer to prepared baking dish.
  9. Cover with foil and bake about 30-35 minutes (or until hot and bubbly) uncover and sprinkle with about 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, return to oven and bake until cheese is melted (about 5-8 minutes).

·
Registered
618 Posts
I tend to make Shepherd's pie (ground beef, gravy, mixed veggies, topped with mashed potatoes) - no spices. I would also do chicken or veggie soup (light or no spices), muffins, quickbreads (banana loaf, zucchini, pumpkin). Before I did any of that, I would ask if that would be a help or if there was something else I could do to help. Some people may not want help, some people may have special dietary needs (we are gluten-free). I like to cook even with a little one, but would have appreciated someone to watch my kids for a couple of hours so 1) I could get sleep or 2) I could have a little me time or even having someone that would run an errand for me. While food is good, there are other ways to help.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I tend to do mild dishes that freeze easily. Chicken divan always seems to be a hit. A nice pan of homemade macaroni and cheese with a couple of veggie side-dishes is also a good choice.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
i make chicken au gratin or ham au gratin.

here's some of the things that were made for us when we had ds2

roast beef with veggies and bread
spaghetti and meatballs
mild enchillada casserole
a "Taco Bar" (they had hot beef crumbles and all the fixins to make either beefor turkey tacos in one of those great big roaster pans (large enough that withthe taco shells on top they didn't get smashed) )
a roasted chicken with stuffing, gravy, corn and mashed taters
a egg casserole thing that was meant for breakfast
a deli type platter and crusty rolls (man was that a God-send!!)

um...i think that's what we were given. There is probably something i am forgetting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts