Frugal Village Forums banner

What to feed a growing boy?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Buc-O-Mama 
#1 ·
My son is 6 and is eating like a teenager lately!
I think part of the problem is that at school they only have 20 min to eat so I don't think he's getting a lot of food for lunch. They do have snack in the afternoon, but I'm kind of limited on what I can send for that. Although I'm open to suggestions! I fix him a snack after school, usually fruit with a protein... I try to do a protein and carb for him. But then at dinner I swear he eats like this is his first and only meal!
Any ideas for frugal dinners that are also kid friendly?

Thanks!!
Jill

#2 ·
Here's what we do in our house:

split pea soup
beans over rice
spegetti
creamy chicken casseroles
breakfast for dinner
tacos/burritos
impossible pies/quiches
baked chicken W/ scratch rice a roni

hth

#3 ·
MIne eats hardy all the time.
For snacks
~pre baggie - pretzels, animal crackers, honey nut cheerios
~pre portion cereal in the rubbermaid screw lid bowls
~when I cook chicken I make extra and put in a smaller container
shredded cheese and that with a bit of ranch on a tortilla is a great wrap.
~keep ham and cheese too for wraps
~we also have a sandwich maker so sometimes I premake the fixings for the stuffed sandwiches.
~lately also I have been taking fruit cocktail and sugar free jello and making individual treats.
- remake a cake recipe, fat free, a bit extra fiber and then cut a piece put in contaiiner..poke and pour in a bit of jello and refrigerate.
just a few run on ideas..

#4 ·
Maybe you could send some peanut butter crackers with him for snack. You could make them together, trying out different crackers. Just bag them up and maybe the protein burst at snack time would help him out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.