Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a great fan of Oprahs, at least most days and yesterday they were talking about families and geneology. Dr. Maya Angelou was on (she is a great lady), sharing what her greatest gift was from her grandparents, when her parents abandoned her and her brother.

It made me stop and think what my greatest gift was and it came from my second grade teacher Mrs. Magee. She gave me the gift of reading. She taught this little girl how much enjoyment there was in books, how much knowledge we could receive and the thrill of finishing a book. She then gave each student a book!!! I've never looked back.

What was your greatest gift you received as a child and who did you receive it from?

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Same as you CJ!

My thrid grade teacher, Mrs. VanGorder introduced me to reading. Every morning before class started she would read a couple of chapters from The Little House series. If we were good as a class, she would read more in the afternoon. By the end of the school year, she had read the entire series to us. I too have never looked back and could not even hazard a guess to how many books I have read in my life!

Thank you Mrs. VanGorder! :thanx:

·
Registered
166 Posts
What my greatest gift was isn't much. The year after my father passed away some friends of his knew how poor Christmas would be for us that year. But Christmas morning his friends were sitting on the couch and I had all sorts of presents under the tree thanks to them helping mom out. The best was a handmade doll cradle to go along with the doll they got me.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
The present came before I did, but the best thing I got as a child..... My Mother made it just for me.............
It's ROBIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks Mom !!!!!!:angel:

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
All the elders in my family participated to give me the gift of self esteem- I was told from the day I was born that I was beautiful, special and wonderful. I have since had to deal with the harshness of life- racial discrimination (based on my Native American heritage,before it was "cool" to be Indian) and so on, but my belief in myself has not wavered.

I see so many of my co-workers and friends who have never had any self esteem and all the problems that go with it. I am very thankful that my parents/ granparents/ aunts/ uncles/ etc. were so supportive of me and my early efforts.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
What was the greatest gift I've ever recieved?

My best friend....we were womb mates...hehehe My twin Sis, Laura

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
The greatest gift I ever received was from my Grammy, she instilled in me that no matter how much money, status, or possesions one has it's what's on the inside that counts. To always treat others fairly and ALWAYS be polite and smile, even if you are down in the dumps.
She also instilled in me to always look my best when going out of the house. Because I'm not representing only myself but my entire family.

Thanks Grammy, I miss you so.:angel:

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
My greatest gift that I received as a child was unconditional love from my grandmother. No matter how bad things got at home, I knew that Grandma loved me for who I was and that I could go and spend a few days with her. I was her favorite and we had a very special bond. I miss her so much!!!

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
The greatest gift I received as a child was time.....the time I spent with my grandparents is priceless and nothing is more valuable to me then the memories we made.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
The best gift was the love of all animals and to care for the earth. My parents instilled this in me at a very early age. Another special gift was the love of history, from my mom.

·
27,948 Posts
There is a lot of stuff I blocked out of my past (coping thing?) but I do know that I am so glad to have my sister Missy in my life. We've been through a lot and are now(once again) putting the past behind us and moving on. I wouldn't be who I am today without her in my life.:heartsm:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts