Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was the hardest thing for you to give up or forgo on the road to frugality?

For me, it was taking cabs, which I used to do about 4 times a week, and since I don't drive was ultra convenient.

Reactions: QM

·
Registered
545 Posts
putting off having children until we are debt free :(

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
having to say "no" to whatever

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
My education. By that I mean further education. I already have a B.A., but that was over 30 years ago. I had hoped to go back to university when the girls left home. But we really don't have the money for that. Plus I have developed health problems that make working problematic at best. It's hard to justify spending money on a further degree when you know you won't get any of it back in the workforce.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I am with IntlMom just having to say no to what ever,stop shopping so much,

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Date nights with my hubby! It's not to say I don't like family nights, but we used to go out alone 2-3 times a month. And come to think of it, right now I can't even remember the last time we did go. :ugh: I loved getting a little dressed up, doing my "bettter" make-up and nails. It reminded me that I am a woman and somebody's wife. I miss that!

Theresa :)

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
The illusion. That a credit card is a back up plan when I want something. (non emergency). That you can just float along and it will be all right.
Every month now i total those debt numbers. If the numbers went down. The whole added up number,we did well. If some went down but the overall number went up I MUST figure out why. No more games w/ myself. Play time is over.

Number 2 and a close second was -facing that our standard of living has gone down even though we are trying harder and being more careful w/ our money. And worse,that it won't end anytime soon. My DH works way more hours under much more stress,costs continue to rise as we have lost $120,000 off the cost of the house, (ironically the cost of the original mortgage 15 years ago). We have given up lots to tread water not get ahead. Frustrating although not fatal.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I didn't give up anything, I just cut back on everything. We were doing fine before, but really had no direction (budget) Now I'm telling my money where to go instead of seeing where it went.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Not trading in my car every three or four years for a new one or buying a new one when it's paid for.

Also going out doing whatever we wanted.

Not clothes shopping and shoe shopping for the fun of it.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Romantic getaways with my DH :(

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I don't know that it was so much a 'sacrifice' as it was just a
re-training process for me.

The first would be-----not buying the convenience foods. I still buy a few things but less of them too.

Cutting the 'eating out'.........I still do but not nearly as often. I now go maybe 2 to 3 times a month.......used to go about every week --at least once.

I have always hated shopping so that part was a breeze. Now when I have the 'urge to splurge' I head to a thrift shop! And only allow myself to buy something that I really need (or craft items)........not just some piece of clothing cause it is cheap.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
The two things I miss most

eating out 2x month with dh
not getting a paper, magazines or books The library is great but I'm a bibliophile and would love to own them.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
I have been practicing frugality since I moved out of my mother's house, so there isn't very much I miss, because I never started it in the first place. I've never paid for television, I've always bought secondhand clothes, I have driven the same car for over six years (it's a 2001 I got in 2004 secondhand), I learned how to yard sale and use the library at a very young age, I never went on vacations anywhere other than to visit family within the province, I never bought anything new for myself til I'd divorced my ex-husband and bought myself new furniture. Before I went to school, I had one credit card that I kept paid completely.

Once I started at school, however, the credit card, the line of credit and the student loan all started building up, and since I was only working a part-time job and going to school full-time I didn't have the money to keep afloat. Now, since I met my husband and we pooled our finances, his (previously impeccable) credit is being dragged down by mine.

I'd say that the thing I miss most however is going out to eat at restaurants. It wasn't so bad a few years ago when I was dating a chef, but my wonderful, handsome, intelligent husband does NOT like to cook, so I do the majority of that.

Other than that, I'm pretty content. I am looking forward to some things, like replacing our dead car, paying off our debt so we only have the one credit card (and the emergency backup credit card), and purchasing a house. Our plan is to do it all on one income because we want me to stay home with the kids. So it's not so much sacrifice as the things I've done to get where I'm at. :)

·
Registered
904 Posts
I was raised poor (different from frugal), but started spoiling myself as soon as I got my first job (mowing yards at 12).

Since I went into "Semi-retirement" and mom had some issues, I have had to cut back greatly. I am getting everything back in order now and should be up to snuff by the end of the year.

The things I miss most is NOT thinking of money all the time. I now think through every purchase. "Do I really need this or just want it" "Can I post pone this?" "yes this bulk purchase is a better deal, but do I really want to spend that much money right now on 4 years worth of fabric softener"

I miss just walking in and throwing what I wanted into my cart and not worrying about it. I purchased very few things on credit in comparison to the amount of money I made. Now the amount that is on credit is far more than I am comfortable with.

·
Registered
579 Posts
i miss buying clothes for me, that fit and look decent..
i miss buying clothes on sale for the kids...they are still dressed, but wear their clothes longer...till they're a little short..too tight...
not feeling guilty....now i always feel bad when we splurge
but we're better off..and the kids hearing NO, more often, is also a blessing....they also have to learn

·
Registered
493 Posts
~ Eating out...huge sacrifice for us. We used to go out or order in at 3 times a week.

~ Grocery shopping without a budget

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Really miss not having a car.

One of the hardest things was to quit smoking. Was able to and really happy about having better health and the extra dollars.

Do miss eating out more often. Even though I try to make what I would normally eat out. Now if I do go out to eat all I can think of is how expensive the plate of food I am eating is.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts