Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Ladies,
What was your favorite vacation as a child? For me it was a toss up between 2 very different ones.
The first was going camping in cabins up in the mountians of the Big Island of Hawaii with my family. There were no phones there so we got Daddy all to ourselves!:)
The second is a big family trip we took the summer I was 12 and going on 13. We flew to California to see my Mom's father, stepmother and brothers and went to Disneyland, Universal Studios, Lion Country Safari, and the Hearst Museum. We then flew to Ohio to see my Dad's father, my aunts and uncles and cousins. Made it through a tornado while we were there.:)
From there we went to Quebec and spent time at a beautiful resort in the mountains there, then took the train from Montreal and stopped all along the way at different places in Canada! We stayed at the Jasper Park Lodge, Harrison Hot Springs and a few other places. Then we took the bus down to Portland, Oregon and spent time there with some old college buddies of my parents.
Two very different vacations and I loved them both!!!

·
27,948 Posts
We never went on one. Dad worked 2 jobs to keep a family of 5 alive & well. Seems like everyone we knew were going places-disney land ,camping etc. but we always stayed home.
I didn't notice much until I got into my teens & then I was jealous of everyone else.
Still haven't been on many vacations but wish that my Dad and I had the chance to get to know each other. One of my biggest regrets in life as he died when I just turned 13. :(

Vacations are memory makers GO and DO!!!!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
well as a kid we went on 1 vacation and it was to Florida from MA to get away my father had died and my grandparetn (who raised up) took us to Florida to see my grandmother's sister and her husband.. It wasn't a great vacation BUT it was fun and we were togetehr as a family, we didn't go to Disney or anything like that, we went to the pool and hung out..

Eileen

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
To the shore for a week. I had a blast.

·
Registered
14 Posts
mine

Going to see my paternal grandparents!
They lived on a farm for like 30 years while I was growing up where my father was raised. It was really cool to stay there cause of the rual area and they had horses and relatives lived nearby.
Boo

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
We really didn't do vacations. Our family had a cottage and we spent time there. We took a few daytrips to places like amusement parks and the adirondack mountains. I went to Disney when I was 11, but we really didn't pack up like Chevy Chase and family and do any of that.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
My family took a vacation in a motorhome from Oklahoma to Colorado in 1977. My Grandmother went with us and it was on that vacation that I heard on the radio that Elvis had died. That made it a sad day, but other than that it was a nice vacation.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I loved the camping trips we took a couple times a year......
My fav was when we got to go to Yellowstone....... I was about 11, I've been there once with dh....... I love that place...... I hope to go again...

BTW.. Dad drove thru Yellowstone as fast as he could, it was Mom's idea to pass thru ......I Loved every blurry moment of it !!!!!!

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AngeleeBob
1,471 Posts
When I was 12 we went to see family in Louisiana. It was a 13 hour trip I think. It was with my dad and we didn't get to see him very often(Nasty divorce). It was so fun to spend time with him.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
We riverbank camped every summer while I was growing up for atleast a week or two at a time. Dad was a trucker and took off when he felt the need to fish, lol No tents, just the pickup truck and the station wagon. There were 7 of us kids so we always had someone to play with. We mostly fished, swam, oogled at boys , and slept in the bed of the truck or beside Daddy on the river bank while he fished all night. I loved waking up to smell of Mom cooking bacon and eggs over an open fire, the river water running, and the birds singing.

Gee I miss that!

·
Registered
25 Posts
We had a pop-up camper and went camping every summer. We mostly went to Canada, but also went to Yellowstone twice. We were very lucky because both of my parents were teachers and we would go for 2 weeks to a month at a time.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
We didn't take many vacations, but we did do a few.

One Easter we loaded up the car and started out. At every turn they would toss a coin and if it was heads we went left, tails we turned right. We didn't know from minute to minute- where we would end up, but we found some wonderful out of the way spots and had a blast.

We also all packed up when I was a junior in HS and went to Nashville TN with my grandfather. We sang on the stage of the grand 'ol opera, met Johnny Cash and Tex Ritter too!

·
Registered
203 Posts
The camping trips EVERY summer from the time I was 9 with my Dad and his side of the family!!Coulda done without his wife but I enjoyed being there anyway!!!! The family still does it every summer and we always miss the trip cause honestly we really can never afford to go.I wish my kids could expierence what I did.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts