Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading articles on ideas about where the stimulus money should go and a podcast about what one family will do ..Some will add to their emergency fund, stop putting $ into 529 college funds, pay bills....

Here, it will be used to pay bills, help pay college tuition and a little in the emergency fund.

·
Super Moderator
19,680 Posts
I'll be shocked if that money actually shows up, considering the clown show.

If it does, we will be putting a lot of it into a food stockpile to see us through the second wave, third wave, however many waves it takes before there's a vaccine in a couple years. This isn't going to be over anytime soon.

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
It will go in the bank to be spent or invested as needed. We have few expenses, fewer while sitting at home, and not many "wants" that we can't already pay for. Honestly not expecting another 2-3 month shutdown for the fall flu season, but DH can and will WFH if required. Doing reasonably well with my stockpile, will replenish later out of normal grocery funds.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Mine is going into the bank until this craziness has subsided. We are saving for either a pond or a whole house generator. I'm leaning towards a pond so we can me more self sufficient and we have friend who will let us get fish from their ponds for free.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
We have a bathroom that basically needs a gut job due to a bathtub that has many cracks in it. No idea why except it was a dud. Floor under it is starting to go and the outside wall has no wall. Again no idea. Not gonna be cheap. So it will go toward the gut job.

Reactions: ermadunk

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
There are so many things I'd like to do with that money. New dryer, new freezer, new bathroom/shower, extra driveway. I think the only thing we'll do is the driveway. We already had the money saved for that. We'll see on the others. It's not like we are desperate for the new appliances. They are old and do need to be replaced before too long. The bathroom is fine. Would like to do away with the tub. We never use it. I know, it could be a negative for selling it one day. I'm sure we'll just save the money and help friend and family that may need help.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
We have ordered through amazon, dog supplies for two foster groups in the area. One gets senior dogs out of shelters and places them with fosters and hopefully in a home. We sent them a good order of dog food. Another group in the area picked up a litter of puppies that was dumped . We sent them puppy formula. I wanted to send more, but there was a limit on how much I could send. I'll try next week to see if I can send more. We love pets so much and thought this was a good way to help them out. They both had amazon wish lists. We have been blessed and have been looking for ways to help those around us. Dh has helped people with broken lawn mowers and often just buys the parts needed to fix it. He's always looking for ways to help people. Dh called his sister to see if she needed anything. She was able to get unemployment and is actually doing better than when she was working.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Three weeks ago, I woke up to my dog yelping in pain. Two vet visits and $500 later, we found out that my 5 year old dog has both diabetes and Inter-vertebrae Degenerative Disc Disease (IVDD). Luckily, she didn't need back surgery and is fine after two weeks on anti-inflammatory medication. However, she needs two shots of insulin a day, prescription dog food and a trip to the vet every 10 days to get her blood glucose checked. The insulin costs $70 a month, the syringes are I think $10 a month, the prescription dog food is $60 a month and the vet visits are $200 a month (2 visits per month at $100 each). Being that I just lost my job and that I owe $950 for taxes this year, which I irresponsibly didn't save for (one emergency after the other drained my emergency fund and then my savings for taxes), $950 of the check will go towards taxes and the rest will go towards my dog's vet bills. I was self-employed and was denied for unemployment. I did some work in February and March that I haven't been paid for so I'll have a little income coming in for the next two months but after that, I have no idea what I'm going to do. I'm trying very hard not to freak out. :sad:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Ally I don't know if this helps, but years ago our cat was diagnosed with diabetes. I was paying $100 a vial for his insulin. A friend of mine told me to check out Sam's club. I am a member, but you don't have to be to use the pharmacy. I spoke to the pharmacist who told me to see if my vet would approve of using their brand which apparently was Walmart/Sam's brand. It was $10 a vial and I could also get a box of 100 syringes for $12. It saved us so much $. Worth checking out if you have a Walmart or Sam's club nearby and your vet will approve and call in Rx.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Well, the week before I got the stimulus check my dehumidifier died followed rapidly by the TV and microwave. That took a good chunk. A couple weeks ago I invested in two new pairs of shoes. I cannot walk into a store and buy shoes they have to be special ordered so I decided to consider new shoes a valuable prep. At the rate retail stores are closing, I felt it prudent to buy now. Can't predict the future, but I sure don't want to be barefoot if the S continues to HTF.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I purchased several pr of sneakers during the pandemic since prices were low and they kept sending discounts. One pr cost me all of $3. I wear them to work, gym and running around.

Looks like another stimulus check is on the table. What plans does everyone have for it if that happens?

I'm going to put it in my emergency fund since I know that surgery is inevitable for me. Either this year or next year.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts