Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
roll dough ferment?

I had made some dough for rolls last night and put it in the fridge. This morning, I got it out and shaped into rolls and set out to rise. Well, during all of this I had to leave and go stay with my grandma at the hospital. I didn't get home until late but when I got home I baked the rolls. When I got that out, I tasted one and it tasted odd. So I smelled it and it smelled like it had fermented! The entore batch did as well so I had to throw them all out :shame:. What caused that?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:attent: LOL I hope someone can tell me... that was ALOT of waste

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Was your yeast old? I don't even know if that could have caused that, but I'm just guessing. Sorry I can't say for sure; I hope someone else can help you out :)

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Where did you leave them to rise, and for how long? Dough that is over proofed will have a too-yeasty smell/taste. How warm was it where you left them? And what did they look like (shape, etc) when you put them in the oven?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Throw them OuT! OH, NO! YOu just made sourdough rolls! Yes, the yeast ferments but it's a good fermentation. Usually it's done in the dough stage, you just allowed it to happen by setting them out a while.

Next time.....

2 cups warm water with 1 cup flour.
Add 1 tsp sugar and 1 tsp yeast.
Mix - cover with a cloth

Don't use a mettle bowl or spoon. This does something to the reaction.

Let this set overnight under a light for a little warmth.

Then add 1 cup warm water and 1 cup flour. Mix and set again overnight.

It should be all bubbly the next day. This is good!

Now, make homemade sourdough bread.

Half the starter with 1 cup warm water or milk.
1 tsp yeast (test the yeast first in the warm water , rather dissolve the yeast)
Add other ingredient - 1 TBS sugar ( Cinnamon roll dough or sweet dough)
1 Tbsp salt
tbsp Oil

Add enough flour to make dough - Kneed , set, shape and bake.

350 for 1 Hr bread loaves, 25 min for rolls, cin rolls, more or less.

enjoy.

( I am assuming that most of you know how to bake your own bread from scratch. If not, this is not something to start with. Go to your recipe book to get basic information.)

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
yeast will make beer, wine, etc. It's yeast. We use a little to make dough, but leave it long enough and it will begin to ferment the food. Which in the case of wine or beer is exactly what we want.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PeacewithMyself said:
Throw them OuT! OH, NO! YOu just made sourdough rolls! Yes, the yeast ferments but it's a good fermentation. Usually it's done in the dough stage, you just allowed it to happen by setting them out a while. QUOTE]
They tasted HORRIBLE! I was so disappointed :dis:

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
There are different yeasts that take over, some are pretty awful. Sourdough can be started by bread yeast, but it is often colonized by some wild yeasts after a few batches. Or you take a starter off a neighbor with a good strain.

I wouldn't use anything that tastes awful.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think maybe there was too much yeast. The recipe I used called for two packets where I have never had a recipe call for two packets before. (It's an old cookbook from the early 60s). Could that have been the problem?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I would think leaving the dough out longer than usual would make it ferment, and the extra yeast just made it happen that much quicker/stronger. I agree with you and Canadian Gardener about not eating anything that tasted awful.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Next time I will just use one packet of yeast.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts