Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That beef stew meat that comes cut up, besides beef stew? :) Dh is not a fan. I was thinking stroganoff because I have egg noodles but no sour cream...

I have a pretty stocked pantry and the veggies on hand are tomatoes, celery, carrots, onions, peas, and corn.

So shoot me some ideas and keep me from going to the store because this meat needs to be used. Just something simple for his lunch. :)

TIA

·
Registered
10,987 Posts
Tough one. Bourgouignon? But that's kind of stew like.

I'd find out what he doesn't like about stew and change it, lol!

I suppose you could grind it in the food processor for ground beef and make something with that. Meatballs or beef pie. Pulse it a few times until it has the look you want.

Reactions: Palooka

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Make vegetable beef soup..
Flour & fry, make gravy for over bizkits & mashed potatoes or rice
Slice pieces a little smaller, fry & use for tacos or fajita's
Make kebob's ..
Grind for hamburger..
Slow cook & make beef & noodles...
You've got a gold mine...Lucky You! :)

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I always make beef stir fry with it but with noodles instead of rice!!

That is what I do as well, with tons of veggies, dash of organic soy sauce, marinated in orange juice , ginger and pinch of turbinado sugar, and serve over brown rice. Yum....lol

Reactions: Palooka

·
Registered
265 Posts
I would be careful using "beef stew meat" for stir fry, depending on the cut of beef it was cut from. If it's a tougher cut that is meant for stewing or braising, then a quick-cooking method (like stir fry) won't yield tender results.

I would either grind the meat (and then use it for whatever you like to use ground beef for), or use it to make beef-barley soup, chili, or simmer it for at least an hour in marinara to make a meaty spaghetti sauce.

Kara

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I would be careful using "beef stew meat" for stir fry, depending on the cut of beef it was cut from. If it's a tougher cut that is meant for stewing or braising, then a quick-cooking method (like stir fry) won't yield tender results.

I would either grind the meat (and then use it for whatever you like to use ground beef for), or use it to make beef-barley soup, chili, or simmer it for at least an hour in marinara to make a meaty spaghetti sauce.

Kara
Kara,

I have found if you slice it and marinate it , it comes out so very very tender, no matter the cut. But I do buy good beef, so not sure if that is it. I even marinate sometimes, and decide to cook something else and freeze, take out and stir fry and so delicious . Jmo. But yes you could always grind, etc.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I would cook it in the crockpot

My favorite to make with tough meat is

A Year of Slow Cooking: CrockPot Broccoli Beef

If that isn't something he would like maybe there is some other crockpot idea on that site. She has tons of crockpot recipies

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have found if you slice it and marinate it , it comes out so very very tender, no matter the cut. But I do buy good beef, so not sure if that is it.
I'm not at all trying to be argumentative, but I don't really think it's a matter of "good" beef vs. "not good" beef. It's more about different parts of the cow are tougher (tend to be more inexpensive) and some are more tender (tend to be pricier). But that's great that you have found that marinating the tougher cuts helps you get around the need for long, slow cooking.

I don't stir fry beef these days since I only buy the cheaper, tougher cuts for stew and chili and grinding. But I will follow your advice and experiment with marinades to see if I can stir fry again. Thanks!

Kara

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I'm not at all trying to be argumentative, but I don't really think it's a matter of "good" beef vs. "not good" beef. It's more about different parts of the cow are tougher (tend to be more inexpensive) and some are more tender (tend to be pricier). But that's great that you have found that marinating the tougher cuts helps you get around the need for long, slow cooking.

I don't stir fry beef these days since I only buy the cheaper, tougher cuts for stew and chili and grinding. But I will follow your advice and experiment with marinades to see if I can stir fry again. Thanks!

Kara
Kara,

Love your posts and never think others or your opinions are augmentative, that is how we all learn. Especially me I love learning or gleaning from others everyday. Maybe you are right just has worked for us ,hope it works for you or I will feel bad.

My Uncle a told me the key is to marinate, and has worked so far. I don't buy premade marinates as we have allergies but love stir frys to stretch. Let me know if it works for you, must marinate at least a couple of hours.

Hugs,

Angel

Reactions: moasmom

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Here is an Q and A answered by a chef

How to Tenderize Meat

Q:How do you make a tough cut of meat tender?

A:There are several methods: squish it, hack it, dust it, drown it, or coddle it for a very long time in gentle, moist heat.

The article/answer continues giving more specifics

How to tenderize meat

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Quick tip for tenderizing beef - use baking soda. :)

We thinly slice cheaper cuts of meat for stir fries - think beef with broccoli etc and then sprinkle some baking soda in and stir it all around til its lightly coated. Let sit for 5-10 mins, cook as usual. Voila - Chinese take out quality beef :lol:

More info: How to Tenderize Meat with Baking Soda | eHow.com

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'd coat it in a bit of flour, add seasonings, garlic & herbs and some stock and put it in the crockpot. Add some beer and veggies and make pie filling. You can then either bag it and freeze it for another time or fill a pie dish and top with pastry and bake it. Voila, steak & ale pie (Classic English Pub Dish) and serve it with some mashed potatoes and other veggies.

That said, I'm definitely putting in another vote for pasties, then any leftovers can be taken easily for packed lunches.

KB xx

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
stew meat
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 package dry onion soup mix
1 small can mushrooms
1/2 soup can of water
a couple shakes of worcestershire (sp?) sauce

add all of this to a crockpot and cook on low for 8 hr.

Serve over cooked noodles or rice.
This is simple enough for me and I have everything to make it.

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. Meat is not something I enjoy cooking. :D

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I made chilimac with our partial package of beef stew meat. I diced it up small and basically stir fried it in a bit of oil. I then added in chili fixin's and let it cook for a while. I then added noodles to it. There wasn't enough meat to go around for the family, but with beans and everything added in, there was plenty.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.