Frugal Village Forums banner

What would you recommend for a good vacuum sealer..

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Grainlady 
#1 ·
I really would like to try to vacuum seal some dehydrated foods. I am wondering what the best one is. Is there another way to do this?
Are there little packets that you can buy and put in a mason jar to help keep the moisture out. Or do i need to vacuum seal the stuff in a bag to make it last for years....

Thanks!

#2 ·
Yes, there is another way, but I'm not sure how long it will last.

Run a sink full of cold water.
Put your food in a ziplock bag but do not seal it yet.
Place the bag of food in the sink of water up to the neck. This pushes all the air out.
Zip it closed while the bag is in the water being careful not to get any water in the bag.

And obviously make sure you have no leaks.

#4 ·
Go to the foodsaver website and sign up for their online newsletter. They will send you sale notices. That is what I did. I got my foodsaver for a very good price. They sent me coupons also. So I saved up my money and when they had a sale on canisters and rolls I placed a big order. I got the sale price, my coupon discount, and free shipping because my order was over $100. I paid ended up with about 50% off.

#5 ·
I've owned 3 FoodSavers and have used them since 1986. The next one stored in the basement - I wouldn't be without one. The one in storage I got "dirt cheap" at Tuesday Morning.

I use our FoodSaver several times a day and have a special cart for it. I keep the FoodSaver on the top and a basket on a shelf with the bags, hose, jar sealer attachment, Universal Lids, a Sharpie for marking bags, scissors for cutting the bags, all in the basket. The tip to using the FoodSaver is to have it OUT.

I use glass canning jars to store home dehydrated foods and vacuum-seal the canning lids on the jars. When those foods get moved from storage to the pantry, I replace the canning lid with a FoodSaver Universal Lid, which can make a canister out of nearly any container as long as it has a smooth rim. Universal Lids are fairly new. I think they are a better investment for storage than buying canisters. I've had a number of canisters crack over the years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.