Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't shop Walmart for a variety of reasons, so I'm not familiar with their bargains. However I got a $10 gift card this week as a refund from a subscription service that shut down, and money is money.

What's a good buy there?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hi Contrary:

Some of their food is a good buy, have found some good fabric and jewelry findings there also good buy as is some over the counter medicine like "baby aspirin." You really need to know your prices though. I find that Target and Kmart are more expensive for the same manufacturers products as walmart. I wish there was a store that sold only American products. I like to buy american and put an american to work.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I would check out the clearance section. If I had $10 I had to spend.
Those deals are good.

Or spend some of it on cleance halloween candy. 50% off the day after halloween 75% later but the good ones are all gone. We frreze the candy and fold it out for the rest of the year. Oh and I once stocked up on pump hand soap it was on clearance because it had a halloween cover ( which can right off)

The also have some summer clothes and camisoles for $1 right now at my walmart

Reactions: Contrary Housewife

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
We like their fake Triscuits.

We try not to buy much there, but one must-have is their half gallon jars of olives. Best deal we've found on olives. Of course if you don't go through olives very fast, that might not work for you.

Otherwise, any kind of consumables you might use, like toilet paper, paper towels, dishwasher detergent, cleaning supplies, shampoo, etc.

We won't touch electronics there. We've had too many incidents where we've gotten home and found out the packages had been opened and the item wasn't all there or didn't work. Due to the frequency of this happening from different stores in different states and including their mail order stuff (remember the lap stand fiasco of 2012?) we've concluded it's their policy to put returned items back on the store shelves without verifying whether they work or are damaged or not. NOT cool!

Meat and produce are terrible at every WM we've ever been in. Milk can be a good buy, but compare prices.

Cat litter is sometimes a good buy, but compare prices.

We mostly shop at WM when we're on vacation because WMs are easy to find and have trailer-friendly parking lots. Otherwise, we avoid them too.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
We love the WalMart brand (Equate) of brand name vitamins, pain meds, allergy meds etc. The brand name and WalMart versions are right next to each other on the shelf for easy price comparison.

·
Registered
530 Posts
We won't touch electronics there. We've had too many incidents where we've gotten home and found out the packages had been opened and the item wasn't all there or didn't work. Due to the frequency of this happening from different stores in different states and including their mail order stuff (remember the lap stand fiasco of 2012?) we've concluded it's their policy to put returned items back on the store shelves without verifying whether they work or are damaged or not. NOT cool!
Ds worked nights stocking shelves for WM for a while. They have a huge problem with theft, especially in electronics. Groups of teenagers will come in at night and horse around for fun. A lot of the improperly packaged items, boxes with stuff missing, broken products, etc. that you get in-store come from that. It's really hard to control it, even when the store is quieter at night. People will call the store in the middle of the night drunk and take up workers' time with weird questions or just ramble on and on. Other people will come in at 3 a.m., also drunk or on something, and want help buying a prepaid cell phone. It's really hard to keep an eye on thieves, stock the shelves, and help customers all at once. Ds scared off a thief who was trying to pry a rifle off the overhead display in sporting goods one night.

I will buy electronics if they are obviously unopened or in the locked case. Sometimes I'll buy a battery in an opened case if it's obvious that someone just bought the wrong battery and brought it back.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
If you you want low carb spaghetti ours has Dreamfield for 1.79 a pack. Our produce is good. I agree with the equate brands in the meds. I think they are high on paper products. The meat is high at ours. It really just depends on what you want. If you know the normal prices you pay you can come out good with just a little looking around.

Reactions: Contrary Housewife

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Equate meds, summer clothes are on clearance right now, Halloween will have clearance next week after the big day.

I find their paper products are high, meat is horrible, baking items well priced.

If I only had $10, I would be checking out all the clearance items ...... check all END shelves...you know at the end of aisles...that is where great deals can be found. :)

·
Registered
432 Posts
The only thing I shop at Walmart for is the Equate brand OTC meds (ibuprofen and allergy meds) and Cold-eeze lozenges. I'm not a Walmart fan at all, but the prices on those are much lower there than at other stores in my area, so I make an exception and stop in for them.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
If they have a gas station attached you can get .03 off each gallon of gas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts