Tuna
pasta bakes
chicken helpers
hamburger helpers
Tuna helpers
instant potatoes
pasta sauces
tomatoe paste/sauce

but my all time MUST have is gravy mixes for dh. I can't make gravy worth eating! :bang: lol

· Registered
10,036 Posts
canned tuna
canned salmon
jelly
variety of pasta
coffee (dh)
baking powder
variety of spices and herbs
baking soda
evaporated cane juice crystals
whole wheat and pastry flours
olive oil
quick oats
soy flour
sea salt
yeast
brown rice
pasta sauce
variety of canned and dry beans
variety of canned veggies
baking cocoa
nonstick spray
canned tomato sauce
molasses
honey
mustard
mayo
ketchup
vanilla extract
hot sauce (dh)
maple syrup
vinegar
grits (dh)
vegetable and chicken broth

I would love to have organic dry milk powder on the list, but all the health food stores and the nearest co-op haven't been able to get it for months!

· Registered
58 Posts
My list would include:
oatmeal
wheat berries, white winter and pastry, I grind my own flour
dried corn
oil
baking soda/powder
apple sauce, home canned
chili beans
dried beans
peanut butter
pineapple
whole tomatoes and sauce
pasta
brown rice
raisins
cane juice crystals
beef seasoning
dry milk powder
carob powder
olives, DH
ketchup
onions, I can`t cook without them!

I`m sure there is more, I`d have to go look.:D

· Registered
4,273 Posts
tomatoes
tomato puree
tomato paste
pasta
rice (brown and white)
bread flour
all purpose flour
cornmeal
sugar
honey
maple syrup
egg noodles
olive oil
vegetable oil
chili oil
peanut oil
peanut butter
oat meal
oat bran
rasins
canned pumpkin
chocolate chips
brown sugar
molasses
baking soda
baking powder
cream of tartar
spices and seasonings
boullion cubes
flavoring oils for baking
canned tuna
powered milk
crisco
butter (frozen)
grated romano cheese (frozen)
breadcrumbs
canned beans
dried beans
some canned vegetables
potatoes
onions
garlic
yeast
baking mix
a few canned soups
say sauce
worshteshire sauce
katcup
mustard
FF Italian dressing
refried beans
salsa
a few boxes of mac and cheese(emergency)
canned fruit

detergent
tiolet paper
paper towels
tissues
garbage bags
freezer bags
pleated baggies
zipper baggies
foil
seran wrap
parchment paper
wax paper
freezer paper

tooth paste
shampoo & conditioner
lotion
body wash
soap
extra stuff gathered on sales for gifts (bath stuff)
deoderant
toothbrushes
tampons
contact solution

There's more!

· Registered
71 Posts
Hmmm...
olive oil
vegatable oil
variety of pastas
canned spaghetti sauce
white and brown rice
canned tomato paste
canned tomatoes
ketchup
mustard
mayo
tuna
boxed mac n cheese
hamburger helper(on sale of course!)
salsa
tortillas
powdered milk

That is what comes to mind..
Amy

· Premium Member
9,936 Posts
sugar
splenda
coffee
creamer
flour
yeast
canola oil
olive oil
shortening
pasta
rice
spaghetti sauce
all my spices
beans
vegetables
canned tomatoes

I can make just about anything with those if I have some meat in my freezer :D

for convenience & sanity's sake we also like to have:
canned tuna
canned soups
ramen noodles
bisquick

· Banned
2 Posts
Mine are:
Sugar
Flour
Bisquick
Rice
Tomato Sauce
Canned Fruit
Peanut Butter
Creamer

I am sure there's more, but off the top of my head these are items that I "have" to have. LOL

Sara
I've been lurking around the "Good Eating" section gaining recipes and wisdom ... and LOTS of inspiration for a healthy kitchen. Thank you

Cuz' I'm a curious girl, and pondering our shopping habits, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing with me what items you keep stocked regularly in your pantry/fridge/freezer. What do you always have on hand?

I'm also asking because I'm buying around my meal planning right now, but that is kind of backfiring on me now that I'm not always making up a meal plan. I can't really throw stuff together at the last minute because I don't often have the right stuff to "throw"

Plus, our budget needs tightening and I'm in the process of deciding our "essentials" and am curious as to what those are for other folks.

Right now the things we always buy are:

soy milk
organic cow's milk
AP flour
sugar
yogurt (vanilla)
wheat bread
cucumbers
cheese
bananas
oatmeal
sugar-free popsicles for Boo
firm tofu
chicken breasts
graham crackers
peanut butter
butter
some type of fruit, besides bananas - usually grapes, pears, or apples
raisens
tea
bottled water
cottage cheese

Hmmm, that's all I can think of for now

Thanks for sharing!

· Registered
965 Posts
Skip The bottled water and drink tap water

Pick the cheapest fruit, check the bruised or 'over ripe' and go by the per pound price.

Skip popsicles and make your own if you must have them

Skip graham crackers.
Cheaper to make your own soy or nut milk in a blender....no equipment or special bag needed. Use the soy or nut meal left over to make muffins which will replace the graham crackers.

Learn to cook some basic flexible recipes. The simple recipes in the Tightwad Gazette books are great places to start. I use the universal muffin and pilaf recipes all the time. The book also explains advanced grocery shopping tactics that will really cut costs.

· Registered
13,264 Posts
This is a really old thread but,

The things I buy nearly every week:

vegetables, lots of them -- onion, carrot, celery, potatoes, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, cabbage, broccoli, etc. Usually whatever is on sale that week

bread --not always the same, might be sandwich bread one week and rye the next, or hot dog buns. Most of the time it lasts 2 weeks, so there is some variety

dairy -- milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, half-n-half... shredded cheese goes on sale periodically and keeps well in the freezer

pantry items -- canned tomatoes, coconut milk, mandarin oranges, nuts, rice (several kinds), pasta, baking goods, spices, herbs, condiments

meat -- whatever is on sale at a good price, which gets frozen for later. Lately I have not been buying every week.

I'm also asking because I'm buying around my meal planning right now, but that is kind of backfiring on me now that I'm not always making up a meal plan. I can't really throw stuff together at the last minute because I don't often have the right stuff to "throw"
You should meal plan based on what you have in the house already, combined with what you can get cheap locally. If you make a menu plan and then go looking for ingredients you're always going to come up short on something or pay more to get what you want. Eat what you have, buy what's on sale or marked down.

Also, come up with several easy pantry meals you can put together if you haven't shopped recently. Like spaghetti with tomato sauce and canned green beans. Or maybe a rice pilaf or stir fry using frozen vegs. Try some options that use minimal ingredients like a cheese pizza or flatbread, or scrambled eggs.

Right now the things we always buy are:
I'm curious to know what you make for meals with that list. Are chicken and tofu your only proteins? What do you serve with it? I don't see any vegetables or sides like rice, pasta, or potatoes. Do you snack a lot? Is the yogurt, bread, cheese, bananas, raisins, fruit for lunch or for breakfast? Help me understand.

· Registered
132 Posts
Off the top of my head:

chicken in the freezer
ground beef in the freezer
pasta
rice
sugar
butter
oats
olive oil
variety of canned tomatoes
coffee
apples
bananas
baby carrots
red peppers
onions
milk
yogurt
cereral for kids
tortilla chips
shredded cheese

· Registered
1,434 Posts
I eat all organic. My health requires it and it's my biggest splurge. I don't vacation but I eat well.

Extra virgin olive oil
Avocado oil
pecans, walnuts, macadamia nuts (all raw), seeds
pure cocoa
flax seeds, chia seeds, hemp protein
bananas
avocados
black beans, chickpeas, black eyed peas, green peas
tuna
sardines
canned wild salmon
nut butters
black rice
coconut sugar
protein bars
sweet potatoes (orange and purple)
red potatoes
Ghee
grain free pancake and pasta
dog food (ordered from Chewy)
tomato sauce, paste

Refrigerator and freezer staples
coconut milk
walnut milk
Greek Yogurt
eggs
good variety of fresh and frozen vegetables and fruit
grass fed beef
chicken
cultured sour cream and butter
wild salmon, flounder, Halibut, Alaskan Cod
goat cheese, feta cheese, various shredded cheeses

· Registered
9 Posts
Cuz' I'm a curious girl, and pondering our shopping habits, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing with me what items you keep stocked regularly in your pantry/fridge/freezer. What do you always have on hand?

I only shop one or two times a month because I have such well-stocked freezers and pantry. My shopping these days is mostly "topping up" when we run out of something and taking advantage of sales on items that we eat regularly.

We get most of our produce through a co-op. Delivery is on Saturday morning, so I make our meal plans after I pick up our produce so I know what I have to draw from. And although I say "meal plan", it's not a formal plan for three meals a day for the entire week. Rather, I survey what food we have on hand setting a priority for food that will spoil if not eaten soon. Hubby is responsible for his own breakfast and I take care of lunches and suppers. I make a undated plan for possible meals based on what we have and drawing from frozen and pantry items.

For the next couple of days, here's what we'll eat -- I only have a couple of days of firm plans:
  • Tonight I'm serving taco meat, a salsa made with ground cherries and tomatoes, homemade guacamole, and tomato rice. I have flour tortillas if one of us wants to wrap the taco meat up in bread. I probably will make a taco salad rather than eating the tortilla. There's also romaine lettuce, shredded cheese, and Greek yogurt (substitute for sour cream) to put onto tacos or to use to make a salad.
  • Tomorrow for lunch, we'll have a beef & veggie soup made from the last portion of Monday's pot roast and all the broth. I'm thinking I'll put barley into the soup, but haven't decided yet. Since there's a lot of salad items on hand, I'll make a romaine salad w/ cucumber and tomato and homemade ranch dressing.
  • Supper on Thursday will probably be pork cutlets, squash casserole, broccoli, and salad. The pork cutlets are in the freezer as is the broccoli, so I may change my mind.
  • Lunch on Friday or Saturday will probably be chicken salad made from a rotisserie chicken breast that's sitting in the freezer. I'll add celery and some dill weed to plain mayonnaise.
  • We will probably go out to supper on Friday -- though if things don't go well at work tomorrow we may eat out on Thursday and push the pork cutlets to Friday.
I'm heading out of town late on Saturday afternoon to attend a conference all of next week. I'll be leaving a few things for hubby to eat while I'm gone such as the remainder of the taco meat from tonight's supper. But he's been shown to be blind to food in the fridge so I expect that he'll mostly eat out or make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for his lunch & suppers.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts