Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of my flowers have faded.Public enemy #1 Japaneese Beetles are back. :fight:
Blooming now are daisy, hosta,scabiosa,salvia,butterfly weed, scarlet flower and getting ready to pop, black eyed susan, purple coneflower and butterfly bush.

In the veggies are getting ready to explode.
In addition to lettuce:bunny: We have a flower on the zucchini & you know what that means. We have 4 hills of those.:toothy:
The swiss chard is just about ready to pick. Saw a tomato a bit bigger than an egg and blossoms galore.Before long I'll be making sauce to freeze.
Pesto making time soon too as the basil seemed to really like the heat of last week. Carrots & snow peas are looking good.
All my herbs are doing great. I'll be harvesting some dill,chives & parsley & basil to go into tonights pasta salad.
Whats popping in your gardens?

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I don't have much in the garden right now, My isis' are done and I have a few colors of day lillies.... I have apples on the tree (Not ready yet) and I have a bumper crop of blackberries, I am so jazzed about the berries, dd & I have picking everyday and have started filling my third gallon sized baggie........... Yippie !!!!!!

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
We have lots going on in the tomato dept. Unfortuneatly I didn't steak them well enough and my 2 plants are falling over! :blush: I also have basil. Darlene, what do you do with your basil to preserve it? I can't use all I have! It must really be happy where it is! LOL. I will have sunflower seeds again this year.

My flower garden is doing well. My red plate hybiscus is finally blooming like its pink sister. My mini rose bushes are thriving as well. I have to go and spray the japanese beetles and put out my traps again! ARGH! They are such pests!

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
frugalmel said:
I also have basil. Darlene, what do you do with your basil to preserve it? I can't use all I have! It must really be happy where it is! LOL.

I usually make pesto. I mix this up and freeze it in old ice cube trays & pop the cubes out and store in freezer bags in freezer. Whenever I want a nice side dish I'll boil up a lb of pasta add a couple cubes of pesto & heat through.Or use for any recipe that asks for pesto.
Here's a recipe~http://vegetarian.allrecipes.com/az/Pesto.asp

I do want to research drying some too.:)

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Here is our LONE flower for the year! :laugh: I told you we are not gardeners here!

Also do sprouting kittens count??? :yikes:

·
TammyBob
6,981 Posts
I only have a sec--so here's what we've gotten from the vegetable garden...corn,cucumbers,tomatoes,potatoes,banana peppers,and orka :D

Dh is out picking right now....

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
;) DH picked snap peas the other day. I froze 3 quart ziplock bags full. Delicious in stir-fry. Hostas, day lillies, ageratum, marigolds, salvia, loosestrife, sun flowers & our yucca are beginning to bloom, oh & petunias & geraniums, coreopsis, california poppies & the stella dora's are in full bloom. I guess thats it for now. :D

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
The roses, salvia, portulaca, petunias, shasta daisies, ice plants, poppies, cosmos and daylillies are all blooming! As for the fruit and vegi gardens, we have been pleading with people to come and pick our sweet cherries, the pie cherries will be ready in about 2 weeks, the summer apple tree is loaded with little green apples and a friend is giving me a peach tree! The strawberries are just finishing up, the lettuce is exploding, the brocolli is producing and the herbs are going nuts! I have little green tomatoes and zuchinni, the bean plants and peppers are growing and the onions are finally doing better. The spinach has gone to bolt already, so I am letting it reseed itself.
Today we gave away a huge bag of cherries and 2 bags of lettuce to a friend at church.:) He was so thrilled! Little does he know that he will now be the recipient of many more bags of produce!!!!;)

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, wish we all lived closer so we could trade some of our produce! Beautiful flowers everywhere,enjoy!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Hmm, wish I lived closer to Debbie ;)
We have some cherry tomatoes and leaf lettuce in the veggie containers, and the cucs and zucchini are blooming. And flowers blooming right now we have hosta, coreopsis, marigolds I planted from seeds, gladiolas and some roses. And my pansies are still blooming but looking kind of sad.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I just picked peas last night, and tonight I need to get out and pick some green beans. This is just the beginning, so I'm sure I'll be picking for some time to come. Can't wait to give ds his first taste of peas - fresh from mommy's garden!

·
Registered
601 Posts
WELL THE RAIN HAS PRETTY MUCH DONE US IN----but i do have these flowers still blooming:

Lantana
Mexican Heather
Dianthus
My lilies are pretty shot, the bugs have been tearing them up

1 - 12 of 12 Posts