Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We finished our classes through the county, and now we have to get our homestudy done. We are hoping to adopt 1-4 children from foster care, and in a few years do international adoption. :)

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Congrats on getting through the classes, we have done some of ours. It is hard right now for us to get to the classes as I work 2nd shift and of course that is when the classes are.
We are currently #10 on the list and will move to #7 when 3 placements ahead of us become final.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Seadream--that's sooo exciting! As you may remember, both of my sons were adopted from Korea. I love, love, love hearing adoption stories! I had a talk with my oldest this morning (he's almost six) about birth mothers. He then told me that out of all the moms in the world, he's glad he got me. Tugs right at the heartstrings. Makes it all better when he's beating his brother over the head with something a few hours later!!

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
congrats with finishing your classes. my dh & i are foster parents for the state of indiana. we have 4 kids of our own & 2 foster kids.....yes 6 kids!!!! good luck adopting. so many kids need good home, you are a true angel!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
We're waiting for foster or fost/adopt placement. I don't know what I should buy; I guess I'll rush out and get everything we need at the time but it seems like it will be hard to find good deals, coupons, etc. at the last minute like that. I bought a Moby wrap today that I can use with a baby I've been babysitting for. Hope it will save my wrists!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
We have moved up to #6 now and we have our home visit set up for July 13th.
Yikes...we have exactly 3 weeks to get our bedroom remodel done and the whole house cleaned and straightened up from this remodel project.

·
Licence to Kill
3,479 Posts
That's wonderful! My Dh and I hope to adopt someday...will be several years from now...we're trying to be patient. It's encouraging to read your story! :D

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
We have moved up to #6 now and we have our home visit set up for July 13th.
Yikes...we have exactly 3 weeks to get our bedroom remodel done and the whole house cleaned and straightened up from this remodel project.
How did your home visit go?

·
Registered
125 Posts
We got our bundle of joy!

We finally got the call: a healthy, newborn baby boy. Picked him up from the hospital a few hours after he was born. Yay!! Now to stay frugal with the new demands on my time...

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
We finally got the call: a healthy, newborn baby boy. Picked him up from the hospital a few hours after he was born. Yay!! Now to stay frugal with the new demands on my time...
:congrats:

wonderful news!

just curious: how long did the process take you from start to finish? was it through an agency or state?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks folks! We are beside ourselves with joy. The journey began seven years ago with trying to get pregnant, fertility treatment, and all that stuff. We started the adoption process about one year and one week from placement. It was through the county. We did foster care for a 2 1/2 year old and we did respite care for a foster infant for a few months. I got the feeling that doing foster care gave us a bump up on the adoptions list but I have no real proof of that and it's probably just a weird preference among our group of social workers. Also, we were told at one point that everyone ahead of us wanted a girl. We got a boy. He's perfect!!!!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Congratulations, fizzie! That's so exciting.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Congratulations on the little one!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Congratulations on your new baby!

DH and I are just finishing up our dossier to be sent to Colombia. Then we have about a three year wait! I'm trying not get impatient yet, I've got a long way to go!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I was so impatient! When they say, "Hey, that happened pretty fast!" I get so irritated. Or, "What an easy birth, eh?" There were 7 years of trying, surgeries, procedures, miscarriages, and lots of heartache. But of course it all seems worth it now.

Three yrs seems awfully long, but at least you know that it could take that long. Hang in there!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was so impatient! When they say, "Hey, that happened pretty fast!" I get so irritated. Or, "What an easy birth, eh?" There were 7 years of trying, surgeries, procedures, miscarriages, and lots of heartache. But of course it all seems worth it now.

Three yrs seems awfully long, but at least you know that it could take that long. Hang in there!
People really should think about what they say before they say it. I've been dealing with all the "when are you going to have kids" questions and comments during three long heartbreaking years of trying to get pregnant. It was really tough and it's such a relief for me to be adopting, even if I have such a long wait! Hearing stories like yours really is an inspiration :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
My husband and I have adopted both of our sons from Russia. My oldest son is now 5 1/2 and was adopted from Izevsk, Russia in July of 2003 when he was 15 months old.

Our youngest son, just 14 months old, was adopted from Yaroslavl in April of this year (2007) when he was 11 months old

If anyone has any questions on the Russian adoption process (it can be grueling), let me know.

I love adoption!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Adoptions costs

Hi
We have been wanting to adopt for about 3 years, however the agency I spoke to said that it would cost 20-40 THOUSAND dollars....

Are there less expensive venues out there??? We cannot afford that much.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Kelly :purpcat:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts