Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this is a duplicate -- I couldn't find one for this month.

After months of not using my dehydrator, I dried four packages of celery last week and just put in 9 trays of sweet potato slices this morning. Our store had 40 lb. boxes on sale for $14.88 and it's going to take along time to do the whole box!

Anyone else dehydrating today?

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I'm dragging out my dehydrator either tonight or tomorrow for the first time in years. Hope it still works. Last night I bought some beef to make beef jerky. Never made it before and not sure how. I know I can't use salt or at least no more than what's in the marinade. You can marinade the beef first right?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NikoSan, sorry, I don't know the answer because I've never done meat before.

When I first turned my dehydrator on after it had sat for several months, it would not come on at all. We are very careful here not to leave most things plugged in because of frequent power surges, but I realized I had left it plugged in all that time. I was looking online to research my model to see if it had some sort of reset button or something, when it suddenly started running and has been fine since.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Thanks, I may start a post and ask if anyone knows. I'm not supposed to have red meat BUT...I don't eat it often but once in awhile I'll treat myself to jerky on the way out of a store...It's went thru the roof so don't anymore. I know there's a ton of salt in it and my cardiologist would have a cow herself. Thinking if I just flavor with the marinade and no extra salt I could at least "treat" myself..thanks pem

·
19,119 Posts
I forgot that I have celery that I wanted to dehydrate - think I shall put it in this evening - mahalo for the reminder.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Mango's and pineapple. Got some great prices on mango's so I am excited!

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MM, I'd never done celery before and was a little surprised at how it almost "disappeared" because of the high water content.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Beef Jerky, Sesame Ginger, A1, Teriyaki and Orleans Cajun...can't wait to try them!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I just bought a dehydrator last week. I've dried a pineapple. Turned out great! Yummy! I can't wait to do vegetables & other fruit. I bought it for 30$ from Menard's. It's pretty good size. I sat it on top of my frig in it's plastic bag. Not the best job in interior decorating..but oh well..........

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I'm doing very primitive dehydrating. I love to snack on whole, dehydrated carrots and got 6 lbs for 99 cents. I cut the tips and ends off and have them spread out on cookie racks on my counter :).

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I filled my dehydrator this afternoon. Bananas, grapefruit, mushrooms, yellow & red peppers are drying. This is all new to me. I googled tomatoes. I bought some today to dry. I don't know whether you can dry grapefruit, but I'm doing it! Any "tried & true" suggestions would be welcomed! :)

·
Registered
960 Posts
I have dehydrator and have no idea how to use it no book came with it. Free from somewhere Is there sites for me figure it out?
Most dehydrators simply have a fan to circulate air and a heating control. This site will give you an idea of how to prepare foods for the dehydrator.

Dehydrate2Store.com | Welcome - Educating and Helping Those Who Want To Learn About Dehydration

There is also a yahoo group for those interested in dehydrating food (Preserving Food (? sorry, I can't remember the exact name)), which has "recipes" for dehydrating lots of things.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I dehydrated some yellow and red peppers last week.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts