Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well after a lot of things happening I'm back to my dehydrators-my neighbor gave me over 20 lbs.of boned deer meat and now I'm making jerky with it and when he gets me more ill can that in jars now that i have a pressure caner its good to get back into the kitchen--hugs to all fv

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I have been slacking on the use of my dehydrator. Today I am cutting up two heads of celery and putting them in the dehydrator. Once dry, I will make celery powder.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Each month when I do my monthly grocery shopping I always buy extra carrots and celery and whatever else is on sell to dehydrate.
But, I have recently decided to start dehydrating bananas. And that is what I have been doing recently.
We like banana bread and other banana things around here, I decide to do get a stock going for tougher times.
Also, as cranberries are not in season year round, I have been purchasing several bags dehydrating them. I have dried 3 bags already, but that has hardly put a dent in what I want to dry and put away.

·
19,119 Posts
great ideas on the broccoli and cranberries!! Both are on sale here, think I'll do those plus some apples!! Mahalo1!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Apples, tons of apples....lol I have 3 dehydrators going, making other things with apples as well I have 3 bushels to do.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Made another batch of fruit leather today.

Have to get some celery done too. I used all mine.

Has anyone ever dried lemon zest.........or orange zest?

Thinking I could use my fruit leather trays to dry some zest. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
OH!
I recently discovered that I love broccoli and cheese soups. So, I have been dehydrating broccoli as I find it at fairly decent prices.
I am looking forward to making some of this soup with my dried broccoli.
I dehydrated some broccoli and my DH invited me never to do that again...it reeked! :laugh:

It's unfortunate, because I love broccoli and cheese soups too!

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
Made another batch of fruit leather today.

Have to get some celery done too. I used all mine.

Has anyone ever dried lemon zest.........or orange zest?

Thinking I could use my fruit leather trays to dry some zest. What do you think?
I've only dried lemon and orange slices (with the peel on) and that turned out well, but I've read that the zest can be dehydrated with good results.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I dehydrated some broccoli and my DH invited me never to do that again...it reeked! :laugh:

It's unfortunate, because I love broccoli and cheese soups too!
I know. So I have decided that I do the dehydrating when he isn't around. If I know he is going to be gone I get the it done as soon as possible. And as soon as it gets mostly dry I will spray some cleansing essential oils or incense that helps clean the air.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've only dried lemon and orange slices (with the peel on) and that turned out well, but I've read that the zest can be dehydrated with good results.
I was given a bunch of oranges, and truthfully, we won't finish them before they all go bad. So, I thought of drying them. But I have no idea what I would do with them after drying. Can anyone enlighten me?

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Making fruit leather ......lots of it for DS to take back to school with him after the holidays. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Whats in my dehydrator

This weekend I'm drying some orange peels for zest/baking. And making some tomato leather.

May dry some potatoes too.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
That is EXACTLY the reason I won't be doing onions again. Thought I would NEVER get that smell out of my house......and I did it in the garage! UGH! I will buy them!

I was given a bunch of oranges, and truthfully, we won't finish them before they all go bad. So, I thought of drying them. But I have no idea what I would do with them after drying. Can anyone enlighten me?
I would zest them all first.........that stuff is like gold so don't waste it!!

Then peel them (of whats left).........run them through the blender.......and fruit leather them. Have read that fruit doesn't re-hydrate that well....but have never tried it. I love any kind of fruit leather! Mix the oranges with something else (fruit) that you would like in a leather.

I made some more fruit leather today.....will do celery tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
what is orange zest?
The zest of a fruit is the outermost, colored skin of citrus fruits. Zest is often used for flavoring in recipes such as pastries and pies, and is synonymous for spice or flavoring.

Read more: How to Zest an Orange | eHow.com How to Zest an Orange | eHow.com

With the chemicals they now use in lemons and oranges I try to only zest organic, if you can find them for a good price! Otherwise my son and I can awful headaches, so I researched and decided to only do the organic. I freeze and dehydrated my zest. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thank you, HappyMama.

I now have a couple of bags of shredded coconut in my dehydrator. I had to use saran wrap because the very fine pieces was going through the holes. And I don't want to loose any of it.

I also have more bananas going. My kids are helping me with the whole process.

I also have a few trays of apple leather going.

anyone ever make salsa leather? I have some salsa I have thought of turning into leather to eliminate the bulk of canning jars AND to free up my canning jars.
Anyone ever do that??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.