Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got all 3 of my dehydrators going with mixed veggies,tomato,s,onions and bell peppers getting ready to make another batch of soup starter i get might 20 vacuum bags out of this batch---hugs fv --whats in your dehydrator

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
Thanks for starting the July thread, Marla! I've been MIA for a few days thanks to a severe reaction to an antibiotic I was on. Sounds like there will be a lot of soup in your future! I love soup, don't you?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes i simply love soup bean with ham,home made potato soup,veggie soup,etc,etc.i ues the kiss method ---keep
---it
---simple
---stupid
lol well any kind of soup is good always good to share a recipe

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
One of my first supervisors years and years ago taught me the KISS principle - that advice has definitely stood the test of time!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i have 3 dehydrators going -10 lbs. of potato's-5 lbs of onions--house it starting to smell like fried potato's mmmmm--i need to get another dehydrator -just not enough to keep me busy lol---hugs marla

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
Marla, do you regularly used dehydrated foods in your cooking or is this for long term storage? One of my biggest fears is overstocking. (My husband thinks we either have enough or not enough, but there's no middle ground.....it's a little difficult for me to wrap my head around that somedays.)

Also, I'm not sure who it was that mentioned the square 5 lb pails for food storage, but I did a google search and found some food grade square containers in multiple sizes, they had the 5 lb ones, and they had several smaller and larger ones, anyway the point I'm getting to is that the prices were extremely reasonable. I'm thinking about ordering some.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lucky i do use some of my dried stuff but a lot of it goes into long term storage-i have a ready source of buckets from a friend that works for food lion that works in the deli and all the buckets are food grade-plus i do give away some of my stock pile to people who really deserve it

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i boiled a whole family value pack of boneless chicken breasts then i cut the meat in small pieces and now i have a whole dryer full of chicken ---useful tip don't throw the water away that you boiled the chicken in save it and put a little bullion in and rice and you have chicken flavored rice

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have 10 lbs. of frozen mixed veggies in 2 of the dehydrators and another 10 more lbs.to in after the first 10 and 2 stalks of celery and 3 lbs. of carrots to after the mixed veggies are done ---going to start on another big batch of soup starter again ---just waiting to go get some cling free peaches when they are ready

·
Registered
867 Posts
I just did apricots and strawberries. The house smelled wonderful :) It's too hot today, so I will do more later next week.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
FINALLY found some pineapple on sale.........so I will have some pineapple going tomorrow.

they won't last long..............they never do!!

·
19,119 Posts
I am avoiding the sale on Pineapple here 0nly because if I buy it and dehydrate it I will then eat it and it is really too sweet for me. Oh well!!

·
Registered
960 Posts
I haven't been dehydrating like I was last year. Zucchini and yellow squash are cheap enough now, but I didn't really like the zucchini I dehydrated last year. Has anyone had good results with zucchini?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
got 3 lbs. of lean ground beef jerky strips in one dryer and 5 lbs of lean ham in strips in the other 2 dryers
-house smells like cooking meat mmmmmm-been a busy day just got a 4x4 dodge truck-1989- for 1000 in perfect order from a friend now that makes 2 trucks and a chevy blazer all 4x4,s need to rest some then back to my canning ---hugs to all fv

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
I haven't been dehydrating like I was last year. Zucchini and yellow squash are cheap enough now, but I didn't really like the zucchini I dehydrated last year. Has anyone had good results with zucchini?
Yes, I have had good results rehydrating it, draining and then cooking it with a can of Rotel. Very tasty!

·
Registered
669 Posts
I found the dehydrated zucchini to be good in soups.

I have not done this for many years, but you guys are inspiring me to pull that old dehydrator out of the basement! Plus I found a book at the library that you all may have already seen but which was new to me, Food Drying with an Attitude, by Mary T. Bell. It goes through dehydrating techniques (and one of the things is an adorable pineapple flower - that's what's calliing to me!), but the book also has a lot of recipes for using the dehydrated products.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
I found the dehydrated zucchini to be good in soups.

I have not done this for many years, but you guys are inspiring me to pull that old dehydrator out of the basement! Plus I found a book at the library that you all may have already seen but which was new to me, Food Drying with an Attitude, by Mary T. Bell. It goes through dehydrating techniques (and one of the things is an adorable pineapple flower - that's what's calliing to me!), but the book also has a lot of recipes for using the dehydrated products.
That's great that you are getting back in to dehydrating! I haven't read Food Drying with an Attitude, but I do have Mary Bell's Complete Dehydrator Cookbook and it is quite good. I'll have to see if our library carries the one you mentioned - I love the name!

·
19,119 Posts
Nothing, absolutely nothing - and then I read all your wonderful posts and I look around, nope nothing but another yellow squash to dehydrate - so that shall be it!!

How do you cut your zucchini to dehydrate? Mahalo!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts