Frugal Village Forums banner

What's on your childs wishlist?

3K views 33 replies 22 participants last post by  Ashley01 
#1 ·
Another poster got me thinking that I don't really know what to buy my fella's this year..Would love to hear from anyone what you've already bought or what you are going to buy..If you don't mind posting how old your child/children is also..

#2 ·
So far this year, my kids (dd-13 and ds-8) are only asking for PS2 and DS games (I buy off craigslist and used from game stop, so this doesn't cost me a whole lot). They will probably get some crafting things (dd), board games and clothes (both kids), and an rc boat (ds). I used to go overboard with my kids too, but found now that if I scale back to only what they really want (and finding it used if possible - my kids really don't care), they enjoy it so much more. Last year I think I spent about $150 total on both of them, and that included clothing that was needed, plus everything on their wish list. I guess it helps that my children are a little older and they are aware of the money situation. We aren't bad off, and have some money for extras, but they know times are hard and that we save all we can "in case of".

Reactions: brenda67
#3 ·
Electronics!

My boys are 16 and 19 and my daughter is 15. As they get older, their Christmas wish list goes from quantity to quality. My 16 year old is into music and plays guitar, bass and drums. We're getting him a new bass for $200 and a microphone for less than $50, I think. We're putting the bass on lay away this month at Guitar Center.

My 19 year old has a job and buys most things he wants himself. He is just asking for a Nintendo 3DS and a game or two.

My daughter keeps going on and on about her own laptop. I don't know about this. I'm sure she'll spend all her time in her room on the computer then. Right now the kids share a desktop and I have parental controls on each person's account, limiting their time online. So, we'll see about that one!

#4 ·
My kids usually ask for video games. They're 19, 13, and 10. The youngest wants a laptop which I want to get for him so he'll stop using mine and everyone else (his brothers and dh and I) all have them so why should he be left out? He also likes Legos and wants the Lego subscription thingie again where he gets a Lego set in the mail several times a year with the magazine. He had that Christmas before last and loved it!

#6 ·
For about the past seven or eight years we have told the kids (DD 18 & DS 16) what their Christmas budget was and from that they tell us what they want. This year both have requested cash for Christmas.

It makes sense to me since both have gotten lot of new goodies over the past year. Between new iphone, itouch, laptop, video games, digital camera, etc...they are pretty much set for the next year.

I am a cash kind of girl and I think they must take after me. Ever since I was about 8 years old, I have only asked for cash for Christmas, birthday, Easter, Valentine's, etc...and 100% of gifts from my parents and about 90% of gifts from aunts, uncles and grandparents have all been cash.

I plan to wrap their money in several different boxes. In addition, I will do stockings for them. Happily filling them with a pair of PJ's, a DVD or two, a gift card, candy, a watch and black Nike ankle socks for DS and a necklace for DD.

#7 ·
You know from reading your Christmas post over the years I wish I was your child..LOL..Now that our children are older I still like trying to surprise them like you do ie: wrapping the money in different size boxes that is something I would do..LOL..I want to make this Christmas a special one because for the first time in 17yrs I will not have to worry if I will have to go to work on Christmas Eve or Christmas day or even the day after or 2 out of the 3 day's !! I alway's stress myself out every year trying to get everything perfect before I go to work...or missing out on the family gatherings or just plain to tired to give a crap that even stresses me out more..Another reason is my oldest will be 19yrs old in Dec and will be going to college (he decided to take a year off) and moving out so this will be his last Christmas with us before leaving the nest..

#10 ·
My youngest wants a guitar. We gave him DH's guitar last year for Christmas, but I guess it was of really poor quality because the handle came apart with repeated use. :( Thinking that I'd check out the pawn shops. I don't know how much they'd go for so I don't know if he'll be getting one or not. The pawn shops are overloaded right now so maybe I'll find one cheap.

My oldest will take cash :) He'll put it towards something he really wants.

The only other thing they want is candy and cookies for their stockings.

#11 ·
Both of mine (11 and almost 7) want Nintendo 3DS. They'll probably get them. :D I tend to go overboard at Christmas, so I'm trying to do better, but it's hard.

As for what else they'll get, probably money, ds7 will get a Build a Bear gift card (he loves that place!), and some video games.

#13 ·
Val, he gets it from his music teacher.

I wonder how much they'd be asking at a pawn shop? Any ideas?

Reactions: valerian
G
#14 ·
My son is 5 and changes his mind so frequently that I never get him anything until Thanksgiving. I might just go with a few books and a lego set. He's the only grandchild so he gets way too many toys from everyone else, so I usually don't stress about it. I think my MIL got him 10 times as many presents as we did last year (no lie - I think last year we bought him 5 things - she got him a plastic sled full of presents, plus 2 large bags full of presents, plus a scooter and a snowboard.... way too much stuff IMHO).

#16 ·
Off Topic..................WOW..................I can't believe Owen is 5 yrs old already! :shake: I remember when you were getting close to your due date and couldn't wait to find out if you had had the baby yet...I also remember posting that I thought you should become a stay at home mom and thinking how wonderful that you had the option to do so..Anyway when is your next one :baby: coming? LOL..Owen need's a baby :tedblue::tedpink:..I know :blah:

#17 ·
My kids are older, 22 and 20, so they ask for a clothing item or specific pair of shoes.

My 1 1/2 year old grandson has so much stuff already. 95% of his toys come from yard sales or thrift stores. I have a Mega-Blocks fire truck, and 2 wind-up toys put away for him.

He loves Toy Story so I keep looking for Toy Story toys at yard sales and thrift stores. I'm always on the look out for add ons for his Mega-Blocks and Duplos. If I come across Legos, Tinker Toys, and Lincoln Logs I put them away for when he is older. I like sets that can be added onto. Board games and card games are great too, for kids that are a little older.

#19 ·
23 yo large suitcase ( RV 200 paid 47ish)+ carry on rolling suitcase ( RV 179 paid 14$ after clearance -% off and coupons) for trips for work or with friends -and clothes for work or casual all bought on clearance thru the year - and best buy GC - i am getting with points we have earned with mypoints and from points on dhs work CC . so if he wants to get a new laptop etc he can use the GC to cut his OOP price 10$ applebees GC 20$ itunes gc ( he has an iphone he pays for )

20 yo dd -college student - doesnt live at home pays own rent etc 100$ GC to victorias secret ( she uses their yoga pants for work and since she no longer lives at home i have no idea what she does and doesnt have. victorias secret perfume sets i got free last christmas time with rewards cards i got for buying her work pants ) misc clothes bought on deep clearance or were free with coupons etc . earrings free with JCP coupons- 25$ walmart GC 25$ CVS gc earned with point programs. 20$ itunes ( she also has an iphone she pays for )

i also am making up a basket for her and her roommate of apt things - cleaning beauty household things etc stuff i get free at CVS deals -or with coupons from penneys etc should be able to make a nice basket of things for 10$

17 yo ds - laptop (he has no idea and will be thrilled ) on sale for 100$ off and used 100 in best buy GC - getting him accessories for it on clearance with coupons etc . clearance/ free/ almost free clothes . got a 4gb scandisck usb that was free after rebate - i hope to use cash back from turning in ink cartridges at staples to get more accessories technology stuff for him . watching clearance areas of anything to do with car accessories as he will be driving in a few months.

14yo- charger that will charge her ipod- ipad2 ( school required puter ) and is a alarm clock radio - clothes and accessories i got for free or next to free with clearance and coupons - a pair of ugg boots that were 45$ after amazon gc ( fyi kids sizes are cheaper and can get sizes that = up to a ladies 6 or 7 in kids sizes ) victoria secret pink brand scents (-for free ) - the only thing she is now asking for is the radio and a new purse . ( we wear almost the same shoe size so we can share the boots ) 20$ itune gc i want to get her a keyboard for the ipad if i can get a good deal ( also hope to use staples ink rewards for this - i have 34$ from september and should have at least 40 coming to me by end of this month )

10 yo ds - only is asking for a ipod touch -since last spring ...- at first i thought now way but when we were on a day trip he used the 14 yos ( which she bought herself ) and it saved my sanity and is smaller and more portable than his nintendo ds ( not to mention the ds games are more than a itune game )
so i got one used a bunch of amazon gC i saved over the year from points and from swagbucks and it was only 50$ OOP. a charging speaker thingy i got free with target GC i had from shopping at target and found cleaning the basement christmas box ( no one claimed it so i got to keep it lol) he had misc clothes on clearance - a 25$ itunes GC . a 100$ battery operated wireless helicopter i paid 19.99 for after clearance and coupons.

they really dont get anything from relatives a 20 $ Gc or present from family pollyanna .

#25 ·
oh i forgot .my 14 yo dd is getting a sony touch screen camera i bought for myself a few years ago that i just never got the touchscreen thing down right -she loved to borrow it .

last year i bought myself a kodak i am better with and out the sony away in my closet so she hasnt seen it in a while
her camera broke so i am handing it down to her ( just have to locate the battery charger and the transfer cord )

and the 17 yo will be getting a garmin gps that i bought for dh a few years ago but that he never uses -he likes it all on paper before he goes out the door . so i just need to find all the parts and figure out how to update it and he is getting that as a gift since he will hopefully be getting a car a few months after christmas .

so two cool gifts for free .

#26 ·
DS-Skittles and money
DS-clothes
DD1-wants Coca-Cola items..Sam's had party tub with glass bottles of soda, done. Found Coke calendar. personal items, Looking for other coke items or flat pennies. Probably DS game,
DD2-clothes-already purchased, personal item..done

#27 ·
Only little one we have now is our grandson~8.. This is (weather permitting) the first Christmas in 5 yrs. that we will get to spend it with him, so I have been saving my change sense June so we can get him some good gifts.. He wants video games and needs pants, so we're getting him some of each..

#28 ·
you know i got a really decent guitar for my kids online before alot of the online music stores will have coupon codes and free shipping deals

i like Music Instruments and Professional Audio Equipment | 800-449-9128 | Musician's Friend i found what i wanted ad then checked back until there was a coupon code and a deal i likes

we have bought
2 guitars ( classic acoustic and electric and a keyboard and a set of drums thru this and and another musical website very similar to it and have been very happy ) and saved alot over retail and sale and i think i was also ablt to go thru mypoints for extra points when u bought it

Reactions: pollypurebred39
#29 ·
#31 ·
My 13 and 14 yr olds have both asked for an ipod touch and both have a couple video games they want. My 13 yr old would also like a gift card for her kindle. My 18 yr old hasn't asked for anything, she works fulltime and has been successfully spending her income on her wants. My 7 year old has asked for games for her ds, and she wants a fijit friend.

#33 ·
my dd(14) has asked for a keyboard & piano lessons. we don't own a piano (none of us plays), and our house is too small to accommodate one so this is a compromise. she's already an accomplished singer but has no idea how to play any instruments. we figure it's an important component so we're looking into it. she wants to start w/the piano and then move onto the guitar.

my ds(12) really hasn't asked for anything yet. i think it's still too early for him to even be thinking about it. :)

i've already picked them both up some odds & ends and stuff i've got for cheap or free w/sales and coupons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.