Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been painting and it puts me in the mood to reorganize things. I was curious what's on your dresser? I like neat and simple and not a lot of stuff, but looking for new ideas.

On top of mine has a lamp, a candle, my small jewerly box from France, a ceramic girl painted from Germany, and this cool crystal decoration from Hobby Lobby that I can't describe. :)

So how do you decorate yours?

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
You don't want to use my design right now. Totally cluttered mish-mash.

Makeup basket (on their way to my dressing room)
makeup brushes basket (on their way to my dressing room)
basket of massage oils
A fabulous pink stone lamp, purifies the air. Totally eco cool! :) We also have a massive white stone one by the bedside. These were when our bedroom was spa style.
An antique table lamp with frosted glass shade-it was my Dads. again fabulous.( I think it will end up in my French inspired dressing room)
lots of Candles, incense & burners
A pearlized frame with a picture of DH and I.
CD player (Plays sounds of the ocean, or rainstorm cds all night, or mood music ;) )

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds lovely. I think I will add a basket of massage oils. o_O

I keep my stock of incense in a drawer in the kitchen and I just bring it in with the burner and then return back to that drawer when done. It's like a China cabinet, with three drawers. Hmm, maybe I should rethink this. :)

·
Registered
540 Posts
It's not really a dresser, but more of a buffet.. On top is a t.v, collectible doll, dvd player, some rocks/minerals, some candles, vase with old flowers, and a couple picture frames..

·
8,714 Posts
~My dresser is in the closet. I have a white plastic drawer unit on top of it for my unmentionables.:crackup:
DH's dresser has a small tv and the vcr(we never use these, I should probably get rid of them), a stack of books that I'm reading, a wall mirror that I use as a tray, a basket of little toiletries on the mirror, an old dishwasher silverware caddy that I use for my hairbrushes and dodads, and a small collection of stuffed bears that have special meaning to me.
It's not decorated at all really but it does actually look neat. Our room is slated for an overhaul in the Spring. :D ~

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Normally my little jewellery box, which I never use because I only wear one necklace and I haven't taken it off in 7 years, and a little bowl and plate that someone brought from Japan, and a box that my husband empties his pockets into.

Right now I'm in my parent's room, so the dresser is arranged with decorative items, with all my papers, toiletries, and 2 months worth of dh's pocket emptying piled in front.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Our wedding photo and a small jewelry box my dad made me that I keep my earrings in. That's it. I dislike clutter, especially on surfaces!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
A vase with a plant in it. Two small green lamps from Ikea. That is what is supposed to be on it. On one end is a tray with dh daily junk. On the other are a few clothes. Those are the items not supposed to be on it.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
TV
Raggedy Ann doll my great grandmom made me
Heart pillow with my name on it in my aunt made me
Candle
At least one laptop, but sometimes two or three more
DH's underwear and socks for the next morning

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
1) The alarm clock/CD radio thing
2) a few current favorite CDs
3) a quilted box ( held our rings during wedding) now holds jewelery while I sleep or shower
4) a canning jar with every rose Hubby has given me
5) a baby cherub that Hubby gave me when we expecting our first child ( Dreamsicles A Child is Born)
6) a geode - plain rock cracked open to to reveal the "crystals" quarts inside, reminding me that "it's what is on the inside that counts" and "there is always a potential for beautiful things in/from even the ugliest things (rocks, times, people, etc)"
7) blood pressure machine (only because my dresser is the closest to an outlet)

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Our dresser has a mirrored hutch on it. On the little space that's left I have a jewelry box, a tray for DH's stuff and a very small clock.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
We have a 1940's Cape Cod style house and the drawers are built into the walls. So....nothing on top of those.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Nothing ...I don't have a dresser. I have a wardrobe. On the top of it is piece of white linen,a cross , a lion, and small witch.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
We have a 1940's Cape Cod style house and the drawers are built into the walls. So....nothing on top of those.
McD - would you be willing to post a pic of the in wall drawer unit? I can't picture it. Sounds really neat too and would love to see it.

My dresser has a small 3 drawer plastic unit on the left with toiletries - lotions/deo/hair stuff etc then on the right a funky vase with plastic yellow and blue daisies, in the middle a seagrass basket with body sprays in the middle. Oh....on top of the plastic drawers is a ceramic body of lady in a dress and for a head she has the wires to hold jewelry.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
McD - would you be willing to post a pic of the in wall drawer unit? I can't picture it. Sounds really neat too and would love to see it.

My dresser has a small 3 drawer plastic unit on the left with toiletries - lotions/deo/hair stuff etc then on the right a funky vase with plastic yellow and blue daisies, in the middle a seagrass basket with body sprays in the middle. Oh....on top of the plastic drawers is a ceramic body of lady in a dress and for a head she has the wires to hold jewelry.
Yup. Putting it on my weekend to do list. :)

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
We have two dressers in our room. The first is a tallboy type. It has the tv on it. The second is a low, wide type bureau with a mirror. On that one I have a small pitcher & bowl set my mom made me, a picture cube, 4 small wooden boxes, two picture frames, and 3 perfume bottles.

·
Registered
904 Posts
TV with DVD player on one and 2 oil lamps, a book and a small bowl for change on the other.

I dislike clutter too and beleive there should be a place for everything out of sight.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
My dresser top is FINALLY the way I always wanted it. On top of a gold color runner, hand-woven from Argentina, I have 3 over-sized perfume bottles. They're about 12 in. tall, but it's the bottom glasss part that I love. One is amber, one is like a teal blue, and the last one is green. The tops are really ornate, and they're antique brass (i think). But I loved them for about a year at the JCP site

I also have 2 ulight lamps that are similar to these, but the bottom is like a bluish colored, 2 handle urn. Again, very ornate. I only paid 1/3 the price of what's in the link. And, IMHO, I like mine better.

Antique-Style LED Night Light Uplight Table Torchiere Lamp | LampsPlus.com

Then I have 3 mall pictures on easels. My favorite one was inherited from my aunt. It's a cameo picture, and it's exactly like this, except the pic is of a mother and child. >>>

Cameo Creation Set2 beautiful ladiesset in velvet by pugpink

I also have a smallish porcelain doll, and a tiny red velvet jewelry box from Good Will, $.50.

I know it probably sounds gaudy, but it's Italian provencial, so me and my hubby love it. It's a BIG change from all the Victorian and Country we used to have.

But I love reading about everybody's collections, especially the sentimental things...raggedy ann. roses from a dh, wedding rings box, and a jewelry box from a DF. And Polly, you know me and lamps...hee-hee, I'd love to see the one from your dad.

So Palooka, I don't know how I just KNEW, (lol:)), but I did, and it came as no surprise to hear you having a "something/anything (lol:)) from France on there! I know what you mean about looking for new ideas too. That's about how I'm feeling right now in the family room though. And MrsMcD, my house on Long Island was a Cape, and we had the built-in dresser too. I wish they still made houses like that. What a great space-saver!

OK, girls....talked too much (as usual). So let me give your poor ears and eyes a rest :bolt:

Theresa AKA GABBY :)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts