Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oldest asked for a Digital camera ... My middle son asked for Black-OP a X-Box game that will be released in November...My youngest want's another X-Box 360 console so he can have one for his room and the other console will be played in the livingroom..Their request's are hardly anything compared to what they use to be..

Money is really really tight for the first time ever since my kid's were born...I'm really not sure what they will get this year..I did tell them that the money is just not there like it use to be..

·
Registered
287 Posts
DD wants an iPad, but that is not in the budget, oldest ds would be happy with a Wii game and I have no idea what my littlest wants. I plan on getting them all a beanbag, not sure what else.

Reactions: brenda67

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
DD's main request is the newest itouch. She already has the previous itouch and we have definitely gotten our money's worth. That will be her "big" gift. She also has other various things on her list like some itunes gift cards and cash. She has asked all relatives to give her cash instead of gift cards this year. She is going to NY in March for spring break. The trip itself is $755 plus she will need another $300 or so for meals not covered and for souvenirs. She has $800 left from what she earned this summer and should get at least another $300 in money from relatives. Plus, she wants some extra spending money for our trip in December to Disney.

DS really has only asked for cash. He needs a new flat screen for his room so his dad and I may get that as his "big" gift. Then give him cash and other various things he has asked for in passing.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
i dont think i would ever have two of the same video game console - so dont feel bad saying no to that i would too LOL

and i am sure there will be a ton of digital camera sales going on .

22 yo son i asked last night - he is not sure he did mention he wants some button down shirts that fit him right - he is tall and thin so i guess i will set about looking for some athletic fit style dress shirts ( i guess thats about the closest to thinner ones i can find ??)
he needs to get back to me with neck and arm length if he wants them to fit right . i have a 10$ applebees GC for him

19 yo dd
she is a shopaholic- she works as a waitress - she loves to clothes shop etc so buys alot for herself with a % of each of her pays she lets herself spend i already have a few gift cards i have earned she will get - because she is also a foodie- loves to eat out . so far she has a sephora 50$ GC coming a saladworks 50$ GC i bought with yard sale profits a 10$ apple bees GC - i have a caboodle make up organizer i got at good will for 1.99 i am filling with make up and nail polishes i got a deep discount or free after rebates ECB etc .
she still has to tell me something on her list though - so i can wrap an actual gift - may be a pair of UGGS she just bought herself a pair but she wanted a diff color- if so that will be her main gift . of course she may change her mind so i will probably wat till december to get her main gift

16 yo ds - he is soo easy all the time - some xbox controllers rechargable battery packs ( bought at Kohls with a 30% off coupon code alread ) a new XBOX game coming out towards christmas - wii points to download things from wii ( we bought him the wii when it first came out - he bought himself the Xbox 360 a year ago ) - i have a 25$ gamestop GC i earned for him . i have a itunes GC for him put away i earned using my bank debit card

13 dd( to be 14 in dec) laptop- or Uggs - she is getting a laptop- hand me downed but dressed up to look new
one i bought about 2.5 years ago for my dh to use when he traveled for work so he could stay caught up- he used it maybe 1-2x a month - got a promotion and they gave him a fancy work laptop so she will get his - i bought a skin for 2$ and a zipper padded cover for 4.xx on deep clearance- sje also has some PINK brand scented sprays i got from VS ( floral - coconut- fruity etc not the sexy stuff ) for free using a coupon and a deep sale . oh and i found a caboodle make uop thing for her for free in a box next to a dumpster - i plan to clean it out nicer - maybe even decoupage or paint it to make it look nicer anf fill it with a little bit of make up for her dance recitals and nail polishes (again free or on deep clearance ) she also has a itunes GC from my debit card use ( i get points for using my debit card )

9 yo ds - only one who still believes in santa - probably his last year . K'nex ( bought yesterday b1 get 1 free @ acmoore with yard sale $ i made ) - new wii remote ( bought with GC i for TRU earned so free ) - wii game ( 30% off sale price at kohls )

he mentioned the new dsi XL but he has a dsi i told him no to that already .

he is a huge phillies fan so i have been picking him up some phillies stuff on sale or off ebay - Victorino bobble head -making a plain black wall clock bought on clearance into a phillies themed clock.
he has mentioned that paper jamz guitar but i want him to actually see and try one first before i buy that for him .

i have clothes for them all i have picked up on deep clearance during the year and often using 10$ off 10$ coupons i got in mail etc - probably other stuff i got for free - cheap etc during the year - hoping to crochet some stuff for them too.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Funny thing is our boys haven't asked for anything this year, and really didn't ask for much the two years previous. I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that we are too broke to buy them anything they may want anyway so why bother. They are long past the believing in Santa phase, good thing or they'd think Santa played favorites.

DS1 would appreciate anything food related or clothing. He's 21

DS2 would appreciate anything food related. He's 16

They both will be getting some homemade mixes like cocoa & cookies for one, maybe some beef jerky for the other. I'll be crocheting them some slippers. That's about all I think, I just have to see how the Christmas budget works out. Oh, and a $5 McDonalds card, or something like that. :)

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
I think they all want Nintendo DSi's. We'll have to see. I'm more of a mind to go with the DSLite, which I, personally, like better, but they really, really want the DSi's. We'll have to see how we're doing financially, a little closer to the holidays. They are such good kids, and if it doesn't break the bank, I don't think I'd mind. I get them all sorts of other gifts from second-hand stores, etc., so something like this might be okay. We'll see.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Brenda67, we're in the same boat here this year and we have three boys also. I've been telling them for a couple of months that they won't be getting as much as before. I don't want to use a credit card and the cash is just not there. My boys never tell me a lot of specifics anyway that they want. I usually just get something that they've mentioned and then whatever I want them to have that I think is cool.

I'd shop around for the digital camera and I wouldn't buy a second XBOX 360...just my humble opinion. I'd just buy a new game or two for the old XBOX.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Brenda, do you guys have a GameStop store in your area? They sell used video game consoles, games and accessories. DS has bought a lot from them and has never had any problems with the items. All have worked and performed like new. You can also visit their website - gamestop dot com to get a general idea of their prices, shipping, etc...

Just a thought in case you decide to get him a second console.

***BTW - we got our kids multiple consoles and have them in different rooms of the house, too. When both kids have company over and all four, five, six or more kids want to get on a video game at once it is a lifesaver!

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
Oldest ds - will depend on his job situation. . . I may get him some thermal under clothes, etc. if he's going to be walking outside a lot. Gas cards, solar powered items. . . he's never too picky.

Oldest ds's wife - nurse uniforms, gas cards, B&BW items, fast food gift cards for when she's going to school (LPN getting her RN)

Middle son - gave me a list :) His range in price from several hundred dollars (for an engine rebuilt kit for my dad's tractor that he inherited) to $5 pair of gloves. He's in the military, and doesn't generally ask for much, so I'm excited to actually have list with several items on it, in such wide price ranges. Several of us may go together to get him at least on of the bigger items.

Middle son's wife- wants travel mugs, artist supplies like paint, pencils, canvas. . . also some specific books, and gift cards.

Dd - has a list :) wants speakers for her car, an MP3 player, frame for a specific and odd shaped painting, an external hard drive for her computer, a webcam (her boyfriend lives out of state, and they are constantly using my computer with the web cam to video chat)

dd's boyfriend (they've been dating for almost 5 years and marriage bells are ringing in the not so distant future I think). . . he wants simple things . .. gas cards to come visit, some music stuff as he plays in a band at times, jeans, specific movies

Oldest grand daughter - wants a Dora popup tent, anything "princess", books, clothes

youngest grand daughter - books, clothes, toys with lights and sound.

·
Registered
682 Posts
All 4 of my kids are getting a DSi XL. I'm also getting DD #2 a cell phone and netbook and a pair of uggs. DD #1 is still thinking about it. DS #3 is getting a PS3 and a netbook. DS #2 is only 5, so not really sure exactly besides all the cars and trucks that he is getting.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Neeley for the info..A couple of hours ago I bought the X-Box 360 Final Fastasy Bundle pak for $299.99 on Amazon.com...it comes with alot of extra's..It will be the main present for all my fella's..just like you Neeley not all the family and extended family( meaning my little nephews plus my little cousin) can play on one console... then you deal with the "well that's not fair he got to play scenerio) I'm use to spending $100.00's on each one of my fella's for Christmas since this is the only time I really go all out on them..I already bought my youngest a awesome looking Lava Lamp..bought my oldest a disco type light that is really cool from Spencer's..I told my boy's that I bought them the X-Box & that that's for all of them..they are excited over it..I will buy a few more thing's that they will not know about..I never tell my kids what I get them for Christmas..so I do feel kinda bad that they won't be surprised like normal..However they do have more then most kid's..they really don't need/want for anything..so I shouldn't feel guilty at all...

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
re northface coats - my oldest dd bought me one of those fleece jackets last year for christmas and i thought how warm can this be but it really is warm - i love it because theres no bulk and i am driving and in and out of the car all day for work.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
We began trimming our Christmas budget drastically a few years ago and last year dh and I decided to not buy gifts for each other so we could save even more money. We pay cash for everything and times are tough in the winter months......

Dd20 and her BF. They just had a baby last month, so we're getting them one of those small video camera's. It's in layaway at Sears and was on sale for $125.00. Then we'll give them a $50.00 gift card to Walmart.

Dd19. I bought her a jacket she wanted ($40.00) and leg warmers. She also wants a subscription to US magazine and then we'll give her some cash.

Dd 10. (Her b-day is on 12/21) Wii Fit, A Wii game that I priced used on ebay for $15.00, a bean bag chair, A large box of plain paper purchased at Sams (she really wants this because she loves to draw,) a robe and stuffed animal.

For her birthday she's getting a Karaoke machine, a couple of Cd's (purchased used off ebay,) a pretty bath set I saw at Sams last month and some jewelry from Claire's.

Grandbaby~ She'll only be 3 months old, so it'll be rattles and a few soft toys.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
My 7 yr old grandson wants a green Bakugan, a Paper Jamz (drum/guitar contraption thingy), books, a puzzle, a green t-shirt from Walmart that says "Homework Drives Me Bananas", and a Fushigi Ball (that they constantly advertise on the kids channels.

·
Registered
199 Posts
My oldest daughter is getting in i pod touch for her birthday next month, refurbished it was a great price.
She has asked mostly for books and games for Christmas, which I got a few for a great price on overstock.com
I pre-ordered 2 games on Wal-Mart.com, that came with 2 instant $10 e-gift cards, which I used to pre-order a movie for her.
I am going to sew her a cuddly funky blanket and some amigurumi animals.

Little Munch will turn 1 (!!!!) on Dec 20, I bought some fabric book panels/stuffed toy fabric panels last year for 90% off and I'll be sewing those for her. A cuddly blanket for her as well.
I have some sewing patterns for misc baby toys, haven't decided what to sew yet.

If anyone is interested in a small cuddle blanket please pm me!
I was given lots of fabric and would like to spread my blessing!
I will also be giving a way some stuffed animals I am going to sew!
Times are tough, I would like to help if I can!

Many Blessings,
Melanie

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Dd18 is getting a crockpot (she's out on her own and doesn't have one) and I'm knitting her a few things.

Dd 16 has asked for an itouch, not sure if she still wants one. If not, we'll get her a digital camera. No clue what else.

Ds12 has asked for a PSP. We already got him one (used) that came with 1 game, 1 movie, and a bunch of skins for less than half of the price of new.

Ds9 has asked for anything Lego Harry Potter lol.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
DD (almost 10) wants the American Girl doll that can go on line. (my mom is thinking about buying this for her for Christmas)

DS (almost 14) want Lego gift certificates to help him pay his monthly fee for his online Lego game (Lego Universe) he also is asking for wii games (Band Hero is one he has mentioned)

·
Registered
328 Posts
:yippee:Well my little furry children havent told me what they want but I believe I will get them some pet toys and treats!!

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
With DS at university, he wants two things for his classes. A kindle and a mapping gps. Since he needs the gps, he will get that and I will have to see about the kindle. Also he will be stocked with shampoo, deodarent ect to last him the rest of the school year so he will not have to worry about picking that stuff up while there.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.