Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
FV Buddy aka KathiBob
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can still remember our first TV. It was a huge thing with a very tiny screen. The first programs I remember watching were Howdy Doody and Romper Room. How about you? What were the first programs you remember watching on TV?

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Romper room and Captian Kangaroo....... :D

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Captain Kangaroo, Ed Sullivan, Red Skelton, Wonderful World of Disney, Daktari, and another program with animals, it was on Sunday, an older man with an assistant named Jim. I think it was assosiated with National Geographic. Anyone remember the name of it? :D

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I think that was .......
Mutual Of Omaha's Wild Kingdom....... I loved it !!!!

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
We didn't get to watch a lot of tv when we were little but I do remember always watching the evening news with Walter Cronkite, we also watched Wonderful World of Disney and Mutual of Omaha!!!

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
That's it Lori! Thanks :D

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
The first show I remember watching was locally (Atlanta) produced. It was called ."The Popeye Club". It was a children's show, kinda like ,"Bozo the Clown". I loved that show!!This was in the early sixties. I also watched, 'Captain Kangaroo". I love westerns, like ,"The Rifleman'. Mutual of Omaha's. "Wild Kingdom' was another favorite. Great thread, thanks for the memories!:D

·
Spendthrift Guru aka KarlaBob
1,479 Posts
First ones I remember was romper room and capt kangaroo. Did love to watch mutual of ohama's wild kingdom as well,

·
Registered
593 Posts
me too..wild kingdom..loved it..
Sesame street..the electric company..

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
The Olympics! :D
Our parents rented a tv just for it..other than that the first TV we bought, the only show we got at first was Beverly Hill billys

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Captain Kangaroo, Romper Room and Bewitched.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Star Trek. When TV came to the Yukon, it was the mid to late sixties and all my friends had a set, but my parents refused. They didn't like TV so of course I watched at a friends.

One of the first shows I saw was the first run of Star Trek, the original. I fell in love then and remembered the stolen moments watching it on other people's TV's. The episodes were burnt onto my memory!

Later when mum died and I went to live with my aunt and uncle(who had a TV) I looked for it on re runs but it wasn't shown very often, when I could I watched it eagerly. The last year of high school I was living on my own at the YWCA and the communal living room had a tv, which got a channel that carried Star Trek reruns.

Of course I made sure I was there at that time and comandeered the channel selection. :toothy:

There were years where I couldn't find it, but now with the current Trek incarnations, I can usually pick up Trek anyday (and for Trekless moments I have all the Trek on tape in all it's incarnations except ironically the original Trek)

It was the first show I remember watching, and it remains my top favourite show of all time. In fact even today, I have satellite TV and can watch whatever I like.

I don't like to watch most stuff, but Trek has NEVER lost it's appeal to me. I love it.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I didn't grow up with a TV, but remember as a small fry (before the Tv died and we never replaced it) watching the Wonderful World of Disney, Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and Cpt. Kangeroo.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I remember watching "Lost in Space" at my Grandparents on their little black and white television. I also remember watching Family Affair and black and white episodes of Bewitched. My other Grandparents faithfully watched Bonanza on Sunday evenings, that is one of my first memories of them, watching Bonanza while my Grandfather ate Peanut Brittle on Sunday nights.

Blessings,
Kathy

·
Registered
106 Posts
Definately Howdy Doody - remember Clarabelle? And the Peanut Gallery. My DH was in the peanut gallery as a kid! Are we dating ourselves?!!

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
I also remember watching Family Affair
I loved Family Affair I wanted a Mrs. Beasley doll so badly.:) Does anyone watch the remake of Family Affair on Upn?

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
We didn't get to watch a lot of tv but I remember the Ed Sullivan show and Mr. Ed the talking horse. I also remember Robin Williams in his very first show Mindy and Mork I think it was.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I watched a few that were locally produced. Sally Starr used to show Popeye cartoons. Captain Noah also showed cartoons and stuff. I also remember Captain Kangaroo, and I used to come home from Kindergarten and watch the Monkees (reruns of course), and my all time fave-the Banana Splits! Don't forget the Kroft stuff, Puf N Stuf, Sigmund and the Seamonsters, Land of the Lost, aw man I could go on forever!!!

DH fondly remembers Gene London, Captain Kangaroo, Johnny Quest, and watching Lawrence Welk while visiting his grandparents. That brings back such nice memories for him that he still watches Lawrence Welk every Saturday night just about. He knows all of their names-it's so funny.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts