Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd have to say for me it's freedom. I married young, started my family at a very young age and have just always had kids. I never knew anything different and am certainly not complaining about that but my life was anything but simple. Now that our dk's are all grown and on their own I'm finding that I'm feeling 'foot loose and fancy free' for the first time ever. I still have responsibility ofcourse, wouldn't have it any other way but still.....things are different. The next thing that I love the most is the lack of so darned much laundry :lol:

Next....?

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Almost an empty nester. By next year at this time I will be. DD#2 just got engaged last week and is planning a June wedding. I am looking so forward to a clean house, not being a slave at dinner time, and just thinking about the lack of dirty laundry gets me excited!

Dh and I had the kids right away, a home daycare for years, and have also cared for and lived with dying parents. Freedom? We are not sure what that is but we are ready to try it out.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I like coming & going as I please without having to be home at a certain time for anyone.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I must agree with everything you ladies have said!!! For my own little twist, I would say that this is the first time in my life I am not "responsible" for anyone or anything else. No kids, pets, my parents are deceased. DH is a healthly adult with two good legs--if I choose to eat chocolate for dinner he can make his own.:cheer4:

AND I love having the grandbabies!!! So much better than being the mom.

·
Registered
857 Posts
My kids are still at home, ds 23 just moved back when his contract finished with Honda. Our dds are 14 and 15.

I think at this stage of the game I am thankful that my kids are old enough now that if I do want to just up and go visit with a friend etc I can. No babysitters to worry about lol.

I often wonder what it will be like when it is just dh and myself :toothy:

·
27,948 Posts
Hmmm...Kids are gone....
Running around naked whenever you want
Not playing maid unless I want to.;) :laugh:
Less housework
Knowing that I'm probably right about most things
Being able to say no & know without regret that it's OK
Being a phone call away & getting those calls from certain people who said years ago "who cares about that?" Now they care & ask my opinion. :thumb:
Knowing that hubby still loves me even if I'm not perfect & visa versa ... it's a given & cherished by both.
I could go on & on. Even with all the so-so changes this age brings, so much good stuff to enjoy, nurture & enjoy.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Definitely the freedom. It's nice not to have to consider someone else when I come home, and be able to eat what I want, or eat out. It's also nice that I don't have to do chores until I get ready to! LOL

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I would have to say for me it is the Grand daughters. It is great to be able to experience and enjoy them and then give them back! LOL
Being able to ignore dinner and the chores and read a book if I want to is great! As is being able to sing outloud and dance around without someone rolling their eyes and saying...oh mother.......

·
Registered
351 Posts
Twin sons just turned 21 and are starting last year of college!!!!! Our house was the "hang out place". Always lots of kids coming and going - missed the fun and hubabalu for the first month, and now love the calm and quiet!!! Spent the weekend at MIL and saw my bro and sis in law with the kids (14 / 11 / 5 / 4) and it made DH and I remark how happy we are that our rugrats are grown!!

Best part of being a grown up with an empty nest - time to reconnect with DH and friends! Looking forward to more of this when I quit my job.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Life is just simpler, more relaxed. I like that.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Well we are a few yrs from being empty nesters. Ods is going to college in a couple weeks and yds is 15 so we have a few more yrs. I like the fact that we can go out, just dh and I. I also like being able to see the people my kids are becoming. Give me a few more yrs. Freedom sounds wonderful

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
You know I have the same hairbrush I had when DD moved out LOL No way could I have kept one with her in the house. So first I say it is nice not to have to "share" personal items with anyone else. Mine! Mine! Mine! LOL
Skinny dipping every evening in the pool. DH and I are really close now. No schedule to keep. Shhhh sometimes we have ice cream for dinner!
We can travel at the drop of a hat. We do have fur babies, funny how we love those so much. We say it is because they don't get into any trouble, don't talk back and we don't have to pay to school them!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I love the freedom -- that is, and always been, a high priority of mine. But just as much its a feeling that I have a better sense of perspective. I've seen more, experienced more, and have a much better hold on what matters and what doesn't. Being comfortable and settled with myself. Life is good.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Being seen an an adult!

I'm under 5'0, and until a few years back had freckles too. Up until I was about 45 I was continually mistaken for years and years younger than I actually was. Irritating? You bet.

I've had people pat me on the head, tell me the "juniors" section was over there, yell at me because only 3 highschoolers were allowed in the store at a time, etc. etc. etc.

I LIKED getting gray hair and wrinkles, at least a little! Although these days, ironically, now I've got people asking me if I'm over 60, I'm 53, so I'm probably going to dye my hair, again. (I dyed it after it had started getting grey in streaks, heck if I wanted to look like Cruella DeVille!)

Is it too much to ask that I'm seen as my age or maybe just a bit younger? Maybe I'll get my beautician to leave a few grey strands....

jd

Ack!

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
I'm an empty nester. My 23 yr. old ds lives 2000 miles away at grad school and has become a resident of that state and has an internship as well as being a student. My 21 yr. old ds is in college a state away, lives off campus with some other kids, and has one--maybe two years more to go.

It IS nice to have less laundry and less dishes and be able to eat whenever and wherever, etc. My ds#2 is home right now for a few days and I LOVE when they're home.

Life IS simpler and more relaxed, especially since I have taken measures to make it more that way--frugality and simplicity. For years it was run, run, run to sports and school meetings and events. And loads of cooking and tons of kids in the house. We were the 'crash' place for our kids' friends. It was a zoo, but I have fond memories of being the snow-day mom with cocoa and cookies, after the snowball fights. ;)

But OH, am I enjoying the quiet.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I love not having the presure and responsibility of taking care of the kids. They both turned out great and I would not hesitate to do it all over again. Besides we see the grandkids almost as much as we saw our own, so I don't really feel like an empty nester.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sometimes it is the peace and stillness of the house that I like. I have 2 dogs and they are SOOOO sleepy in the mornings. They aren't old dogs but just have their routine. I work but am on summer hols and it has been lovely watching them snooze the morning away. My DSS x2 come at weekends (so will be here from this evening) and then I enjoy the extra comings and goings....then on Mon morning all will be quiet again!! I go back to work at the end of next week so this thread has actually made me sit up and take notice of what I enjoy most - my quiet mornings!
W

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
Im almost there. At least my oldest who's turning 15 in Sept. babysits when we need him. And me and hubby get to do coffee more often. I just turned 36 last Saturday so Im getting there. A little bit of freedom is better then none at all.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm a "third ager" but my kids are still rather young and still in school. I do like the freedom of them getting older though and love that they are basically independent in caring for themselves (yay! no more diapers!!), but have to say, now that my daughter is 15 I find myself missing her as a baby now that she has her own "life.":cry:

My little guy is 9 and I enjoy watching him turn into a "little man.";)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts