Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
that you ever saw on a Thanksgiving table, or just one you won't eat?
I'm afraid of jelled molds, lord only knows what's in them. They look like... :sick:
Lets not forget the hoof factor, right Lisa? :laughing:

Reactions: thesightofoneself

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I've seen some pretty scary "gourmet" stuffing! :D

Worst was when my sister spent several days making a "kimchee" salad, to impress my mother. My mom refused to even try it, so I ended up eating a huge serving of it, just to make my sister feel better. Even went so far as to tell her how good it was and to ask if I could have the left-over! :) (It wasn't that bad, but it wasn't THAT good, either!)

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Turkey. Even before I became a vegetarian, it freaked me out. I think it looks like it's ready to get up and trot away. *shiver*

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Well, I did not see this on a Thanksgivng table, but my friend's great aunt served it once and I just about threw up thinking about it. It was jello with stewed tomatoes in it, and it was disgusting.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
I hate when people make simple foods complex. So many "traditional" Thanksgiving foods are so delicious in their plainest form, but some people go hog wild with adding so much to them. It just ruins it for me. Thankfully I cook holiday meals here and it's just us. I don't have to endure strange foods. It's shocking what some people can do to just turkey, some mashed potatoes, and stuffing. gag! And you know how much it stinks when someone screws up the pie!!! LMAO Just ask Gabe about that one. I have always felt it's just not the time of the year to try new food experiments. LOL To each their own though. Some people might hate what I make and think it's too plain.

Reactions: HandyMom

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Cold pea salad. Yuck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Cold pea salad. Yuck.
Ugh, with the little chunks of cheese in it.
WHY would you eat that??

My ex-mil is German and would serve the funkiest things at Thanksgiving.
One thing that stands out was this weird red sauerkraut stuff that was
sweet and sour. UGH..I think I just threw up in my mouth a little just remembering it...:yucky:

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Slight OT, since it was not served on Thanksgiving, but I did learn quickly not to eat "chocolate meat" served at the home of one of my Philippino friends. Trust me, if you don't know, you don't want to know.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I went to a friend of my sister's in Texas for Thanksgiving dinner. She told me that I was going to experience a real southern Thanksgiving. One thing that we had was chicken and dumplings. It was just a big gluey mass of wet dough with bits of chicken in it. I have never had it before, I don't know if that is the way it is supposed to be, but it sure was not appealing at all.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I went to a friend of my sister's in Texas for Thanksgiving dinner. She told me that I was going to experience a real southern Thanksgiving. One thing that we had was chicken and dumplings. It was just a big gluey mass of wet dough with bits of chicken in it. I have never had it before, I don't know if that is the way it is supposed to be, but it sure was not appealing at all.
I hate to hear you had a "bad" chicken and dumplings experience. I made some a couple of weeks ago and feed some to a man from CA. He had three big bowls and asked to take some home to his wife.

Chicken and dumplings are awesome if made correctly.

Now, back on topic. I ALWAYS try new foods for Thanksgiving/Christmas. It is one of my favorite things to do for the holidays. I don't think I have ever cooked anything disgusting, but, jello molds with stuff in them can be quit scarry!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Well, I did not see this on a Thanksgivng table, but my friend's great aunt served it once and I just about threw up thinking about it. It was jello with stewed tomatoes in it, and it was disgusting.
Tomato Aspic (not sure on the spelling) is what you are referring too, and before I even saw your post...that is what I was going to say!

My grandmother was notorious for serving this at holiday meals. It is tomato jello with tomatoes and sometimes celery in it. (Hold on, I have to go search for the barf smiley... Ah, there he is...) :puke:

I have a thing about textures, so I am not a fan of jello to begin with, then when you mix the weird texture of jello with any type of solid, be it fruit or vegetable, I physically cannot eat it without gagging. You should have seen me at age 8 or so trying to gag down my tomato jello, since we weren't allowed to leave the table without cleaning our plates. I still resent that woman to this day for that stuff! It was so gross!

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
I like plain too.

I like jello, and I like stewed tomatoes, but the thought of the tomato aspic is, well, let's just say it's not what I would put on my plate.

My things to void are anything with pumpkin or mushrooms, though I can get them down if I must.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I'm not a jello fan, but I do like raspberry cream which is made with jello. And I love oysters and look forward to the oyster dressing.

What I don't care for is duck or goose. They are just too oily and the flavor is way too strong for me.

Probably the weirdest food I have ever had is from when we lived in the orient. Nothing like shrimp with the eyes still on. Nothing like your food looking back at you!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Okay....my family makes this weird jello salad. It is lime jello, cottage cheese, mayo, pineapple, horshradish and nuts. I know it sounds really disturbing, but my sister, I, my dad, and my SIL love it!!! It looks positively vile...and I think it's an acquired taste. :) It comes from my dad's family.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Slight OT, since it was not served on Thanksgiving, but I did learn quickly not to eat "chocolate meat" served at the home of one of my Philippino friends. Trust me, if you don't know, you don't want to know.
It's blood and meat. Did she make it different? I'm Filipino is why I ask.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
LOL It might have been how they made it. I LOVE chicken and dumplings. One of my top 10 comfort foods.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
I'm not a jello fan, but I do like raspberry cream which is made with jello. And I love oysters and look forward to the oyster dressing.

What I don't care for is duck or goose. They are just too oily and the flavor is way too strong for me.

Probably the weirdest food I have ever had is from when we lived in the orient. Nothing like shrimp with the eyes still on. Nothing like your food looking back at you!
I totally agree with duck and goose. *shudder*

I know all about the eyeballs thing. LOL I can't eat seafood of any type. Thanks mom. LOL

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
It's blood and meat. Did she make it different? I'm Filipino is why I ask.
No, that is it. :) I would never have guessed the "chocolate" part of the meat was just the cooked blood. I'm part Korean, and I'm sure I eat some things that would make others who are not part of that tradition gag, but hey, let someone know you are eating something cooked in its own blood, eh? ;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I once had an admin assistant who asked if I would allow her to leave work early the day before Thanksgiving...She had to pick up the smoked possum at the butcher's before she hit the road to Mississippi to celebrate with Family. I could only nod, "yes" - - as I am positive I would have bleched if I'd have opened my mouth. I have eaten possum before; didn't know what it was...The person who served it is no longer allowed to bring food to my home (bless her heart); she is, however, welcome to bring sodas and/or toilet tissue if she insists.

Anna (who liked the puke smilie, but didn't have time to search for it)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts