Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
baked, grilled, etc??

Me? Oh gosh where do i start?? when i was learning to bake I was making these stuffed cookies that are sort of like chocolatey cakey cookies that sandwhich a sweet frosting like filling. Back home in Maine they are called Whoopie Pies, i don't know what they would be called anywhere else. So I was following along the recipe, so very proud of myself. I got em all done and put together and the cookie/cakey parts seemed a bit heavy and stiff. My brother came along and tried one. Poor guy, he tried so hard to hide the fact that they were horrible, bitter and just plain awful. He desperately tried to sspare my feelings. But they were awful. I could have used em for door stops. even the dog wouldn't eat one. I read and re read the recipe to my mom to see where I had gone wrong...it was the baking soda. the recipe called for 1/4 teaspoon...i put in 1/4 cup!!!:eek: that's quite a difference.

I have made really terrible casseroles, still do. LOL, even the one tonight DH mentioned was bland and tasteless...

So, whats the worst you've done??

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
I think the worst I have done is fried chicken. I have only made it once and never will again. I worked so hard on it and man it was gross! I really don't know why but I do not plan on trying it again!

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I'll have to think about this one for a bit...I know I've had some disasters in the kitchen, but I'm drawing a blank now.

Whoopie pies...YUM! :)

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
There are so many to choose from,lol. I think it would be when I first married (at the tender age of 17). I wanted to make brownies. I didn't have a suitable pan, so I improvised.:rolleyes: I learned that you can't use a pizza pan to bake brownies.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I have the same experience with fried chicken as Lacy. I can not fry it, I have tried several times but it always turns out inedible. I have learned to like take out fried chicken, LOL.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
lots!

EVERY time I bake bread from scratch it comes out heavy and solid :( It just never rises the same as what normal bread should do...

I baked some chicken breast and then added mushroom soup and rice to it...it tasted like throw up to ME but my poor guests i had cooked it for as well ate it all up and kept raving about it. I told them they didn't have to lie but...oh well...Maybe they really liked it? I don't normally eat chicken so maybe it was just me, but BLECH

I remember when I was little I made dinner for the family. It was just plain lettuce for a salad and then corn muffins. But man the muffins were WAYYY too sweet, I felt so bad and no body said anything.

The last batch of chocolate chip cookies were a real bust :(

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Homemade biscuits. For some reason, I can NOT make them. I follow my favorite "aunt's" recipe (she's not related by anything but love). Her biscuits are to die for. Mine have been used by professional hockey players! LOL:toothy:

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
The diaster that I always get teased about:

First day or two home from my honeymoon and I decided to bake dh a German chocolate cake (his favorite). Put it all together and popped it into the oven. Suddenly there is a horrible smell in the house- apparently a mouse had made it's home in the oven while the place had been unoccupied, and I had just baked him.

The stench was unbelievable- the cake was inedible as it absorbed the aroma.

My family still teases me about my "mouse cake".

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
We love ham, so I took some leftover ham and made ham croquettes. I got the recipe from one of my Taste of Home cookbooks. They were HORRIBLE! Yuck :puke: I'll never waste good ham on those again!

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Gravy!! I swear you can lay bricks with it! I can't make gravy to save my life. It either tastes like flour or grease so I don't even try anymore!

·
5,451 Posts
Ellise, keep on trying! I have only learned to make decent gravy, just a few years ago and I'm 43, so there *is* hope.lol.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
I'm not a good cook at all. I look at the meals I make and they are very basic. I'd like to improve in this area. I've had so many flops. It's not even funny. If I had to pick something that I just never seem to get right, I guess it would be cakes. They are always too dry imo. I follow the directions and still don't have a cake recipe I love. Maybe I am not so much of a bad cook as I am a dull cook. I am tired of making the same ole meals. I just feel like I am on this pork, chicken, beef rotation from hell.
I tried making fried chicken a couple of times...not a good experience.
:bang:

·
5,451 Posts
Ah Sara, it couldn't be *that* bad. Remember the "Weight watchers" cards from the seventies? *Thats* bad. lol

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
ROFL! I tried the mushroom soup and rice thing - but I tried making it with meatballs. Totally gross. I will not use canned mushroom soup again in anything.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
I dunno. I made this crockpot chicken and noodles "thing" and Gabe ate it out of sympathy, but we both agreed it shouldn't be made again. :eek: I had made something like it before and never gave it much thought, but this time around we both kinda looked at it and poked it a few times with the fork and moved it around our plates. LOL It truly was funny. I was like this really is awful isn't it? LOL It tasted fine, but looked like something horrible.

::Fish balls, fish balls, roli poli fish balls::

·
5,451 Posts
Rofl, laughing. I was singing the fish heads song the other day and my dkids looked at me like I was off my rocker. (Dh was cleaning trout he had caught).I guess they just don't appreciate good humor from SNL.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I can't fry chicken either,I have to oven fry! There have been so many screw ups in my kitchen-I don't even know where to start!
My idea of cooking is anything that ends up in one pan,casseroles,stews,etc. I think the worst one was our first Thanksgiving that I cooked. The turkey was dry outside and not done inside. The dressing tasted like bread and water,and I forgot to add the sugar to the pumpkin pie:surprise: That did get me out of the next few years,DH made it instead!

·
Spendthrift Guru aka KarlaBob
1,479 Posts
I think the worse for us was the catfish we had caught at the river...now these were big..dh filleted(sp) them ...I breaded them and fried them...oh man they were so pretty....and they tasted like river mud!! they were the nastiest things you ever had....then to top it off we did give it one more try and soaked them with salt/water soda/water no luck....now we catch and release the fish.

·
TammyBob
6,981 Posts
I remember right after Steve and I married,we were going to his family's for Chrsitmas. I decided to make m&m cookies.Even though I took home ec in school I had NO idea what sifting meant.I decided I wasn't going to sift the flour....needless to say those went in the garbage.

Then a few years later,I was on this mission to make gravy,like my mom made. She told me what I needed and how to do it. Seemed easy enough....I tried and tried and everytime it looked like mashed potatos. I was so determined I could make gravy I bet I tried like 10 times in a row.I'd mess up,throw it out and start over. Then I gave up and realized i could not make gravy LOL

Being married 14 yrs. I have learned alot through trail and error and have become a good cook :D I make very good gravy and my cookies are always good and if it says to sift..I sift :toothy:

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
This thread is really fun! :laugh:

My worst one-time distaster was an attempt at making sweet-n-sour chicken in the crockpot. I followed the recipe, but learned that cooking soy sauce all day long results it being totally black and burned. Yuck! The tiny apt. we were living in back then stunk for about two days after that.

My worst consistant thing is pancakes. I can't make a decent pancake to save me. They're either burned, doughy, or just a mess.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts