Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
never finance a pair of blue jeans... this comes from a good authority~ (mother knows best)

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Its not how much you saved its how much you spent.Basically,just because you can get it 505 off doesn't mean its a good deal if 1.you don't need it,2.You haven't compared prices elsewhere,3.Something else will do the job just as well.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Waste not, want not. Fix what you have. Make what you can.

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Track your spending- it's much easier to stop the flow of outgoing money if you know WHERE it's going in the first place.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Food shopping and eating out can be the biggest leak in my budget. So for me, to shop loss leaders, use coupons, shop with a list, have a meal plan, cook from scratch and limit eating out, are the things I do to keep on track.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I guess my best way of being frugal is never buy anything i don't have a coupon for --and if i can do without it don't buy it at all....

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
If I see something I would like to buy, that I don't really need, I sleep on it for a day or two, and if I can't get it out of my head I will go and buy it....I rarely ever go back and buy it:cool:

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Don't go shopping very often, but when you do have a detailed list, coupons, buy the loss leaders, AND keep my freezer full of meat bought at the butcher's (it's less expensive and better tasting). That way I don't have to run to the store for meat for supper=spending more than I intended.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
You really don't need new clothes as long as you take care of the ones you have. Most of the people I know who are in credit card debt have closets full of clothes that they've bought, and yet they can't remember where all the money went. Also, garage sale or hand-me-down furniture is just as nice as new, expensive stuff if you keep it clean.

·
27,948 Posts
I have 2~

~If you have a credit card pay, it off in full every month. If you can't do that don't have one.

~You are all the more richer for enjoying what you have than to always be wanting more.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Thrift shops, garage sales, flea markets. I bought most all of my kids clothes at thrift shops and garage sales and they were always dressed well and stylishly.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
my favorite is shop clearance racks..im a plus size girl and cant find my size at yard sales(dont know why, i see lots of other plus size ladies buying with me).

i only buy my clothing that way, unless i have to have something like a coat i cant find(and then its usually on sale)

i even get gifts that way, i already have my brother,sister and best friends christmas gifts.and i planon making bath salts to had out to everyone.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I only buy what we need and always at the best price possible.

Patience is a very frugal tip I could also give. Wait and think and see how you cope witout the *object* you wanted to buy...;)

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Lori Biever-Launder said:
I have two:

Remember the old axiom, "Use it up, wear it out. Make do or do without!"

My big tip..... Use your imagination, you can solve many costly situations if you do.......

·
Registered
948 Posts
I have several:

~Cook from scratch when possible
~Try fixing everything first
~Use your library!!!!
~Garage sales
~Learn to talk to other people - many times if you need something, someone else has that thing and is willing to give it to you free or for very little $

·
Tina Bob
1,591 Posts
These are big money savers for me:

~ use the library

~ menu plan - it means least trips to the grocery store

~ same home

~ don't buy anything on impulse - take a day or even a few hours to think about it first.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
-stay out of the mall!!! :blind:
-put money away every month into a separate account
-have money deducted out of your account for an RRSP (IRA)
-pay off your credit cards and cut them up (leave one for an emergency-hide it)
-use less soap detergent etc.

·
Spendthrift Guru aka KarlaBob
1,479 Posts
Wonderful suggestions..
Use less when you can (laundry soap,etc)
There is a Big difference between want and Need!!
Cook from scratch and use a menu
Leave dh home as much as you can when at the stores.
Make do with what you have, if something needs fixed do it quickly don't let it wait.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts