1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's mine:

Stuffed Peppers:

4 or 6 green bell peppers
1 can chili hot beans (can use plain pinto beans or black beans instead)
1 cup leftover rice
1 can diced tomatoes
1 cup spaghetti sauce.

Clean peppers.
Mix rice and beans together.
Put a bed of diced tomatoes down in crockpot.
Stand up the peppers in crock.
Fill with rice/bean mixture.
Top with rest of diced tomatoes
Pour spaghetti sauce over all.
Cook on low all day.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
They sound nice, I think I'll give them a go the next time I'm over run with peppers.

I'm hoping to make more vegetarian recipes in my slowcooker. Here is a ratatouille recipe that I enjoy in warm or cold weather.

1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion peeled and chopped
2- cloves of garlic peeled and chopped
1 large aubergine diced
1 lb tomatoes
1 red pepper peeled and chopped
1 yellow pepper peeled and chopped
1 can kidney beans drained and rinsed
1/4 pint vegetable stock or red wine
salt and pepper
handful of sliced mushrooms
2 courgettes sliced
handful chopped basil

Fry the onion, garlic and aubergine for 5 minutes. Add all other ingredients apart from the mushrooms, courgette and basil, stir well. Put into slow cooker.

Cook on high for 3 hours, add the mushrooms and courgettes and cook for another 1-3 hours. Serve with sprigs of basil. this is good with some hot bread, pasta or potatoes.

I vary this recipe by adding more or less of different spices to keep it interesting!

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
I'm going to copy my original post over in Homestead Gardens from my OAMC thread, OAMC, the easy way, no burnout, just good home cooking in the freezer - Homestead Garden Forums where I shared my favourite bean recipes, most of which were crockpot ones. I am allergic to beans now, but I'd love to share my old favourites and hope that someone else can enjoy them even if I can't anymore.

".......section, lets take a little change and go do some vegetarian meals to bring this OAMC into real budget relief.

A gentle primer for the humble bean, on how to cook and eat with less gas!

Cheapest EASIEST way ever to cook is using the crockpot. Pour beans to about a quarter of the crock. Fill with water, stir, drain and fill again. That rinses the beans the first time.

Put a tsp or half tsp of GARLIC POWDER in with the beans. (smells good, BUT the reason to do this, is IT REDUCES THE GASSINESS OF THE BEANS!)

DON'T put anything else, not salt, not sugar, not tomatoe sauce not vinegar NOTHING else! in there with those beans or they will go all tough and won't cook down to tenderness EVER! it's a chemical thing, trust me.

Now let er rip (ahem, cook) for several hours and when you think about it, change the water, drain out, replace with fresh hot water and some more garlic powder.

That reduces the gassy factors again AND LISTEN TO ME HERE ---RINSING DOESN"T GET RID OF VITAMINS AND MINERALS! The B vitamins and all the minerals are still happily tucked in the middle of the bean all safe and ready to use. The bean has a natural little jacket on remember?

Now at some point towards the end of the day, you will come by, and test the beans by

pulling out a spoonful and blowing gently on them. When the skins crack and peel away they are done. Or you can mush them gently, but I always like the weirdness of the skins cracking and peeling.

RINSE ONCE MORE WITH HOT WATER! or cold if you plan to freeze the beans.

You now have COOKED beans ready to use in any recipe calling for them.

You can now proceed onwards to chili or baked beans or soup.

I like to then take 2 cup portions of the cooked rinsed beans and put into no name zip lock sandwich bags and freeze flat in the freezer.

EACH ONE IS NOW EQUIVALENT TO A ONE LB CAN OF BEANS or so in a recipe

I am now badly allergic to legumes so I don't do this anymore but that is how to precook huge amounts of beans."

And here is my favourite crock pot bean recipe of all time:
Sue Greggs Baked Beans: (these come out like the best baked beans in a can)-- sue has a website with more of her recipes and techniques at www.suegregg.com

Cook in crockpot overnight or till tender
3 cups dry white beans in 6 to 9 cups water (follow my bean cooking in the crockpot directions above) Rinse well when done.

Drain those beans and combine back in that crockpot with:
1 big onion chopped
1- 28 oz or 29 oz can of diced tomatoes
1/4 cup molasses
2 TBSP Honey (I have omitted at times but it adds a nice flavour)
2 tsp dry mustard (that is the mustard powder)
up to 1-1/2 tsp salt to taste.

cook on low all day.

Freeze leftovers (they freeze best if its' a bit soupy).

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
thanks for that, I'll cook beans with garlic powder next time to remove the gassiness.

I know it's not a slow cooker recipe but I'm going to try the curried potato salad with red lentils, it sounds great.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
oh that one I got from Nava Atlas and she is top notch. I was sharing her site with my cousin in Britain as he and his family are vegetarians.

http://www.vegkitchen.com/recipes.htm

and it's half way down the salad days menu http://www.vegkitchen.com/saladdays.html#cur

I adapted it a bit. I think I stuck it in that thread but can't honestly remember. I know that I used parsley instead of the cilantro which is expensive and I don't care for the taste. Parsley works great in it. And I used the much less expensive 3 green onions tops and all for the expensive little scallion.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
:bump: for you, Sara

1 - 7 of 7 Posts