Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own and show an American Staffordshire Terrier. This isn't a common breed and many people have never seen one. I have been involved with animals all of my life and have been showing dogs for nearly three years.

Don't get me wrong--I love mixed breeds too. As a matter of fact, my last dog was a mix. I was curious though: what breed do the rest of you like and why?

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
I have a dog that is part Jack Russell and part Dalmation. But, I would have to say I really like Jack Russells. We are thinking of getting one so that Madison has a playmate and will leave the cat alone.:D

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Love My Beagle!!
He is a perfect fit for our family, big enough the kids can't squish him but small enough he doesn't take to much space in the house. Beagles are known for being barkers/yowlers but we either trained him well or got lucky and he is really quite.

Now we are looking for a bigger dog to live outside/in garage when we move to more land. Thinking a mix but not sure what mix would be the best for us.

·
Registered
260 Posts
great thread, one of my favorite subjects...

We have two dogs (Fergie and Di). Fergie is a black Scottish Terrior and Di is a blonde American Cocker Spaniel. Di is my "baby" although she's 11 now. She is so gentle and loving and is so willing to please. Now Ferg, my scottie (12) .. she's my manly girl LOL Scottish Terriors can have quite a reputation for being ornery, but I took the time when she was a puppy to socialize her well and train her properly and she has been a fabulous pet. She's friendly to everyone and totally loyal to us. I love terriors for their spunk and energy, and spaniels have a special place in my heart. Before these two, we had an English Cocker Spaniel. Hard to pick one favorite...they all have brought such pleasure to our lives and have been great family pets.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Papllions are my fav breed. I have one.

And i also have two chuiuhuah (sp) too.

I saw a show today that had a Irish Wolf Hound on it. I thought it was an amazing dog. it was humungous though. something like 32 inches at the shoulders alone! i wouldn't wanna clean up after that dog!

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
I love Redbones too Dixie! My parents bought me a Bassett hound when I was 6 months old and we have always had at least oe in the family, they have oone now and my db and sil have one now.

Dh and I have a mixed breed not sure mixed what..lol..he's a little bitty scutter, the cats are bigger than he is!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I love my black lab. He's perfect for our family. He's just so much fun. If I could have a small dog, I'd like a papillion (sp?) They are so smart. My husband knew a guy that had one and he would take it to school with him.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
We don't have a dog right now, but we plan on buying a Weimariner (sp?). We think they are gorgeous. Besides those, my favs are golden retrievers, and collies.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ohh, Justjenn my aunt always had weimerauners they are wonderful dogs! I miss them.
I also like golden retrievers--i saw a beautiful one today, she had wavy fur and was a purebred. So pretty.

·
27,948 Posts
I like lovey mutts.:D

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Australian Shepherds are my fave. :D

They are loyal, great with kids, protective, tons of fun to play with in the yard, very loving and affectionate........

Here's my youngest baby, Charlie.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Well I'd have to say American Eskimo Spitz, we have 2 of them right now and they are so cute.

Even though they are pure white they are not hard to keep clean, but the hair sure does drive me nuts. There isn't a item of clothing or blanket in this house that doesn't have some white doggie hair:(

We have owned 3 of these dogs now and all 3 have had different attitudes, they can be weary of strange people so they need lots of sociallization when they are young.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
For us it's Doberman's We've been breeding and raising them for 15 years.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Keyshound's (sp?) my mom had one and he was wonderful- he died of old age last summer. Great dog and wonderful fur to spin.

We have a mutt- part black lab, part Brittiny, part Dalmation. He looks like a Holstein cow and is nearly as big as one too. He has a black patch on his right hip, that when he sits on his haunches- it makes a perfect heart shape- that's how the kids picked him out of the litter.

I also love collies- had a pure bred one when I was a kid (age 2 til he died when I was 18)

·
FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob
2,161 Posts
We raised and showed rottweilers when I was growing up-love them, loyal and smart.Problem is they have a short life-only about 9 years. We had a weinmeraner-chocolate with yellow eyes, she lived to 11-she was beautiful, but more loyal to mom rather than the entire family like the rotties. Most recently I had a beagle/jack russel mix that was an incredible little dog. I adopted him as a companion for my aunt who was in a wheelchair, he was perfect. When she had to move to a nursing home he lived out the rest of his years with me. Playful til the day he died-at about 18 years. I miss having a dog so much.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
My favorite are huskies, they are just beautiful! BUT I have only had mutts all my life..
Our family dog now is a mutt we were told a mix between shepard and a samoyed but my husband is sure there is wolf in her BUT she looks like a husky with brown eyes...

Eileen

1 - 20 of 27 Posts