Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran out today to get a couple of hams ($6.99 each for 4lb boneless ham, or $1.75/lb), and it made me think of my basic meat philosophy. We only buy meat that is 1.99 a lb. or less unless it's a very special occasion. Beef is the only thing we break the rule for, but that's because we buy a side beef every fall. We actually split the whole cow with my parents, so it comes out to about $2.40/lb which is so-so for the ground beef and an excellent price for the sirloins and roasts. Well worth it for better tasting beef that is local, grass-fed and not injected full of hormones.

Bone-in chicken I try and pay $1/lb, and I'll stock up on boneless breasts when they are $2/lb. I'm excited when I get sausage and ham for $2/lb, since these items are almost always much more expensive around here. DH prefers all his meals have meat in them, though he is happy even with a small amount, such as a diced slice or two of ham added to a big pot of broccoli-cheese or bean soup.

So now I'm curious about what is everyone else's meat buying rules? Do you have an overall top price you'll pay regardless of the of the type of meat, or do you have specific rules for the different types? Any secrets or tricks you've learned for saving more on meat items? I'd love to hear about them!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I only buy chicken parts @ 99 cents, sausage @ $1.99, I will splurge on London Broil @ $2.39 because sometimes there's nothing like a piece of steak. We like pork but I only buy it marked down on Manager's Special (red tag).

I will buy fresh/frozen turkey parts out of season and make Thanksgiving dinner in Jan, Feb or March or hot turkey sandwiches.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Joshin - see you are in Spokane.........so you will know the stores I refer to........

I buy roasts......both beef and pork and cut my own pieces. Don't have a "meat saw" right now so primarily buy boneless but can get it cheaper.....make the sizes I want....and saves me $ too. Usually watch for sirloin or pork loin.......and cut them up.

I like the meat at Trading Co. the best ----unless I really splurge and buy Costco (which I don't too often ---too $) Yoke's and Rosauer's are pretty good but they usually don't have great prices. Albertson's is okay........if their $ is ever decent.

Won't buy Safeway, Fred Meyer, or WinCo meat......not even hamburger.

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
My philosophy, is that meat is not a necessity. I have a grocery budget, and of that a certain amount is set aside for meat. If I can't find GOOD bargains, we don't eat meat - we get protein from other sources instead.

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
I buy roasts......both beef and pork and cut my own pieces. Don't have a "meat saw" right now so primarily buy boneless but can get it cheaper.....make the sizes I want....and saves me $ too. Usually watch for sirloin or pork loin.......and cut them up.

This is an excellent way to buy meat and you can buy a stainless saw at Amazon: Amazon.com: Eastman Outdoors 90610 Meat Saw with Stainless Steel Blade: Patio, Lawn & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@31paUIBxNIL You could get a regular old hack saw and use that but it won't be stainless and you would need to be sure it is completely dry or it will rust. Personally, I would spend the money and buy the stainless one.

All that said... Around here, if you buy the whole piece, weather it be a pork loin, a rib roast or whatever, they will slice it for free.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I will NOT buy meat at Walmart. Ever. Albertson's here has started to sell only USDA| choice, so I'll buy it there if the price is right. Sam's has Choice, too, and they don't "enhance" it like WM does with "up to 12 percent of a solution". When we go to Dallas, I shop at Central Market for the best I can buy without mortgaging the house. Some of it is pricey, but they usually have a good sale on something we like.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
My philosophy on buying meat is "Yes" :D

·
27,948 Posts
Joshin, my meat buying philosophy is pretty much like yours as I never try to buy meat above $1.99/lb. I usually haven't a problem doing this because I buy it when I see it (often times marked down meat & I've been known to stalk the person with the meat gun as they go down the meat case) and freeze so try to have a variety of meat stashed away for whatever I want to make. I do splurge for sirloin steak every once in a while and I use b'day loot for shrimp,lol. I wish I could get good fish (not from China) at a good price...

·
4,028 Posts
My philosophy is a little bit more complex than Greebo's. LOL

I really try to get the best price around. I buy large and do my own cutting as much as possible. We're still able to get whole chickens at $.89/lb so I'll usually buy 2 or more and cut them up for freezing. Chicken thighs and legs I can occasionally get for $.99/lb so I'll stock up on them as well. I figure the 10 cents/lb is worth my time.

I tend to buy extra and freeze for later. So at Thanksgiving, I'll get 3-4 turkeys at $.49/lb (usual sale price). In March, I do the same with corn beef briskets, December is for hams ... you get the idea.

When I find a good deal in the "Manager's Special" section, I'll take what I have the room to store and that my budget can handle. These pieces get cooked that day or put into the freezer. I've never purchased anything spoiled and chicken goes right into a pot for poaching first then freezing.

I recently found picnic roast (pork shoulder) for $.99/lb but I had to buy a 2 pack. One went into the crock pot and the other got ground into sausage which was easier to do than I anticipated. I'll be doing that again for sure because the best price I can get sausage is usually $2/lb for name brand or $1.69 at Aldi's.

I hope to find some good sales on beef so I can start grinding my own burger. I'm finding I would rather do the processing myself so I know what I'm getting and reduce the chances of any contamination and additives.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
I really try to get the best price around. I buy large and do my own cutting as much as possible. We're still able to get whole chickens at $.89/lb so I'll usually buy 2 or more and cut them up for freezing. Chicken thighs and legs I can occasionally get for $.99/lb so I'll stock up on them as well. I figure the 10 cents/lb is worth my time.

I tend to buy extra and freeze for later. So at Thanksgiving, I'll get 3-4 turkeys at $.49/lb (usual sale price). In March, I do the same with corn beef briskets, December is for hams ... you get the idea.

When I find a good deal in the "Manager's Special" section, I'll take what I have the room to store and that my budget can handle. These pieces get cooked that day or put into the freezer. I've never purchased anything spoiled and chicken goes right into a pot for poaching first then freezing.

I recently found picnic roast (pork shoulder) for $.99/lb but I had to buy a 2 pack. One went into the crock pot and the other got ground into sausage which was easier to do than I anticipated. I'll be doing that again for sure. But the best price I can get sausage is usually $2/lb for name brand or $1.69 at Aldi's.

I hope to find some good sales on beef so I can start grinding my own burger. I'm finding I would rather do the processing myself so I know what I'm getting and reduce the chances of any contamination and additives.
And this is why I'm not allowed near the meat aisle. ;)

·
Registered
8,457 Posts
I have pretty much the same guidelines, $2 lb with a few exceptions. I can usually get a selection of pork or beef for the $2 limit, though the beef sales haven't been as good lately.

My once in a while meats and about the best prices I can find are cube steak (2.99), smoked sausage (2.50), boneless ham (2.50), sandwich meat (3.00), bacon (3.00).

I eat a lot of chicken, so I try to stock up when I find bone-in breast for .99 (got it for .77 a couple of weeks ago) and boneless breast around 1.69.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I buy meat when it goes on sale, I try for $1.99 lb but lately $2.49 lb has been the lowest I've found. We get our meat from either Safeway or King Soopers (Kroger), and usually will buy about 50 lbs at a time. Then I take it home, cut in into meal size portions and freeze. Last week I was able to get skinless chicken breasts for $1.79 lb, so I grabbed 3 pkgs which was all I could afford this time, but it was divided up into 9 pkgs/2 breasts per pkg, and added it to what was already in the freezer. Right now I have about 45 lbs of london broil, approx 50 - 60 lb of 93% ground beef, and 15 lb? of chicken. I am down to one roast, so watching for the sales on it. The only thing I don't get on sale is fish, as it rarely goes on sale here, so I buy frozen salmon and tilapia.

·
Registered
287 Posts
We bought a whole beef this year and split it with my parents. It's organic grass-fed and we paid $3.00 lb. It's a little more expensive but so much better for you. We plan on getting a organic pig this year. Chicken is usually boneless skinless and generally get it on sale at around $1.76 lb. We raise chickens for eggs, not meat, but I'm not opposed to doing that some day. We used to butcher our own chickens when I was younger. Legs and thighs I pay no more than .99 lb. I get fish from Costco, only wild, none of the farm raised stuff. I love their wild pacific salmon.

Reactions: Jamauk

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
We bought a whole beef this year and split it with my parents. It's organic grass-fed and we paid $3.00 lb. It's a little more expensive but so much better for you. Chicken is usually boneless skinless and generally get it on sale at around $1.76 lb. We raise chickens for eggs, not meat, but I'm not opposed to doing that some day. We used to butcher our own chickens when I was younger. Legs and thighs I pay no more than .99 lb. I get fish from Costco, only wild, none of the farm raised stuff. I love their wild pacific salmon.
This is pretty much what I do, saves me time , money and I can't have certain preservatives due to allergies .

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
My philosophy is buy the meat (beef) from the store that has the yummiest meat, the local grocery store. When they have it on sale. Which is about twice a year or so.

Today was that day. Ground for $1.99 and roasts and steaks for $2.30 a pound. The butcher will cut them and wrap them for free for you. The I freeze them until needed.

Other meats ( chicken sausage, fish) I buy when they are cheap or needed.

I use to shop the marked down meat. But it has been more expensive lately then the yummiest meat stores sale price.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I will only buy organic, 100% grass fed beef (a lot of "grass fed" beef has been "grain finished" for up to 3 months).

I buy organic chicken, it's hard to find it pastured unless I buy it local ~ which is sometimes hard to do around here. My local market just had organic, free range pastured chickens on sale BYOGO & they came to $1.25/lb. It was a great price, so we bought six of them. We boned them ourselves and canned most of the meat. We froze some pieces and I made stock out of the bones (and canned that, too).

I'm still looking for a brand of pork that is pastured, that I trust and can easily find. So, until I do we just don't eat much pork.

My meat is expensive, but my husband and I have discussed it and we're willing to sacrifice in other areas to pay more for this type of meat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My "Meat Philosophy" is this:
1. Buy it as a baby from either a trusted friend or a quality stockyard.
2. Raise it up in my pasture, eating 99% grass out of said pature, not letting it have growth hormones or unnecessary antibiotics but giving it plenty of room to move and grow.
3. When it's about 18 months, calling a nice man who will take it away to "Freezer Camp".
4. Three weeks later go and pick up a lot of beef from said nice man and pay an average of $2 a pound for everything from steaks to roasts to hamburger.

Please note that I can't do that with pork as I live in town and can't have swine. This only works with beef and goat meat.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I will only buy organic, 100% grass fed beef (a lot of "grass fed" beef has been "grain finished" for up to 3 months).

I buy organic chicken, it's hard to find it pastured unless I buy it local ~ which is sometimes hard to do around here. My local market just had organic, free range pastured chickens on sale BYOGO & they came to $1.25/lb. It was a great price, so we bought six of them. We boned them ourselves and canned most of the meat. We froze some pieces and I made stock out of the bones (and canned that, too).

I'm still looking for a brand of pork that is pastured, that I trust and can easily find. So, until I do we just don't eat much pork.

My meat is expensive, but my husband and I have discussed it and we're willing to sacrifice in other areas to pay more for this type of meat.
Yes I buy only " grass fed only" as well, for the beef and lamb from a local organic farm. Chickens local and organic pastured.
Making sacrifices in other areas and cooking from scratch I find this method really isn't that much more for me to buy this way.

I do the same and make my own broths, etc.

ETA: We do the same for the turkeys . We do make our own lunch meat though including pepperoni so it does save us. We went to all this for health, as I am allergic to some preservatives but it has saved us time and money in the long run.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Some of the best sale prices on meat recently include:
~ .99/lb country style ribs - bought 2 pkgs
~ .39/lb - 10 lb bag chicken quarters - bought 1 10 lb bag
~ $1.99/lb 80% lean ground chuck - bought 10 lbs
~ .99/lb fresh picnic shoulder - haven't bought...yet...not sure about it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.