Frugal Village Forums banner

What's your meat buying philosophy?

4K views 44 replies 37 participants last post by  greekislandgirl 
I buy meat when it goes on sale, I try for $1.99 lb but lately $2.49 lb has been the lowest I've found. We get our meat from either Safeway or King Soopers (Kroger), and usually will buy about 50 lbs at a time. Then I take it home, cut in into meal size portions and freeze. Last week I was able to get skinless chicken breasts for $1.79 lb, so I grabbed 3 pkgs which was all I could afford this time, but it was divided up into 9 pkgs/2 breasts per pkg, and added it to what was already in the freezer. Right now I have about 45 lbs of london broil, approx 50 - 60 lb of 93% ground beef, and 15 lb? of chicken. I am down to one roast, so watching for the sales on it. The only thing I don't get on sale is fish, as it rarely goes on sale here, so I buy frozen salmon and tilapia.

$8.80 per kg (calculator says that is $4/lb) is my benchmark price for beef. That is the regular price for whatever cut they are trying to get rid of on any given week and what I'm willing to pay for stew/stirfry/roast. I prefer to go half that high for ground, but that's a rare deal. I will go twice as much for steak, three times on a special occasion.

I will buy bacon if it is under $5 for a package, whole turkey if it is less than 2.49/lb. I only get boneless/skinless chicken breast, but we don't eat much chicken because it's usually twice as much as beef and birds kind of creep me out. I will buy frozen fish if a package goes down to $5 (1lb), otherwise we will pay market price for fresh, but usually just as a treat.

I would only buy lobster direct from the fishermen. I'm actually tempted to make it a regular part of the menu as lately it is about the cheapest thing out there.

quick hijack - Monkey - in August of '09 we took a vacation to Amherst to meet some internet friends in real life. They took us to the dock and bought lobster off the boat for $4 a lobster (canners) I will never forget that meal! 6 people ate 30 lobsters, and there was just enough leftover to make lobster rolls the next day. It was my first time eating lobster rolls, it was also my first time to see the Atlantic ocean. One of our friends father has a weir(?) that they took us out to see at Northport Park I think it was, plus they took us to Tidnish Beach, and Cape d'or. You have a very beautiful province. hijack over. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.