Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is that special dish that you only make during the holidays? Will you share the recipe?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
"Punch Bowl Cake"

Served layered in a punchbowl.

1 box of yellow cake mix prepared, cooled and torn into pieces.
2 boxes of instant vanilla pudding prepared
1 large container of cool whip
1 can of cherry pie filling
1 can of crushed pineapple, drained very thoroughly
chopped pecans

Layer all of the above items in the punch bowl 3 times.

1st layer, cake
2nd layer, pudding
3rd layer, cool whip
4th layer, arrange some cherries along with some of the thickened cherry filling along the outside edge of the punch bowl on top of the cool whip(This makes it look like a pretty red band around the bowl) then arrange some more cherries on the remaining cool whip in the center, sprinkle some pineapple in with the cherries. Sprinkle some chopped pecans in with cherries and pineapple.

Repeat the layers 2 more times. This will fill up the punch bowl rather nicely. Cover with cling wrap and store in the refrigerator.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I make bacon cocktail weenies, not just for Christmas but for most holidays that call for good eatin'. I only make them for special occasions because they are somewhat expensive to make.

Bacon Cocktail Weenies

1 package cocktail weenies
1lb bacon, cut into thirds
brown sugar

Wrap each weenie in a piece of bacon, secure with toothpick, cover with brown sugar and bake until bacon is fully cooked and sugar is melted, basting occasionally.

People go nuts over these. I usually double the recipe.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I always used to make both of these and serve them along with my Kentucky whiskey cake & eggnog when Christmas guests came over.

Authentic German Chocolate Cake
Original Mrs. German's Recipe!

2 cups flour
1 cup butter, softened
1 pkg. Bakers German Chocolate
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup water
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup Buttermilk
1/4 tsp. salt
4 egg whites
4 egg yolks

Frosting:
1 can evaporated milk
4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup butter
1 pkg. coconut
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 425 Degrees F. (50 Degrees C.) Line the bottom of a round cake pan with waxed paper.

Melt the chocolate squares until
completely melted. Stir well.

Mix flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.

Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in chocolate mixture and vanilla. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating after each addition, until smooth.

Beat egg whites in another large bowl with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently stir into batter. Pour into prepared pans.

Bake 30 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched in center. Immediately run spatula between the cake and sides of the pans. Cool 15 minutes and remove from the pan onto cake board or cake plate. Remove wax paper.

Cool completely on wire racks. Spread coconut-pecan frosting between layers and over entire cake.

Coconut-Pecan Frosting:
Mix milk, sugar, margarine, egg yolks and vanilla in a large sauce pan. Cook and stir on medium heat about 12 minutes or until thickened and golden brown.

Remove from heat. Stir in coconut and pecans. Cool to room temperature until it can be easily spread.

Original Black Forest Cake- I use kitchen scale

Ingredients

For a 24-Er-Springform
4 Eggs
100 g Sugar
100 g Butter
150 g Dark chocolate
3 EL Black Forest Kirsch
50 g Flour
50 g Potato flour
1 TL Baking powder
1 Trace salt
150 g Ground Halselnüsse
Filling
½ l Cream
1 Pck Vanilla sugar
1 / 8 l Black Forest Kirsch
750 g Red cherries
50 g (-80 G) chocolate chips

Preparation

Here's the original recipe from the pastry chef Josef Keller (1887-1981) from Radolfzell. Created was the now world famous pie in Bad Godesberg, in the former Cafe Agner celebrities.

eggs and sugar until smooth. The lukewarm melted butter and the water with 2 tbsp. Water dissolved chocolate and add the kirsch. Flour, baking powder, salt, potato flour mix and seven. The hazelnuts in a dry frying pan fry light brown.

Flour and fold into the egg mixture and nuts give this bebutterte in the pan. In medium hot oven (190 ° C) about 45 minutes baking. After cooling, cut the cake twice. Cream and vanilla sugar until stiff.

The cake layers soaked with kirsch and occupy two lower 1 cm tall with cream. The drained cherries and spread it lightly press into the cream. All the parts put together. The special surface and the edge of the cake decorating with plenty of chocolate chips. You can add the cream a little Rahmhalter (in bag) or low-resolution cold gelatin, so that the filling is more rigid.

Martha Stewart's Eggnog

Ingredients
12 eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups superfine sugar
1 quart whole milk
1 1/2 quarts heavy cream
3 cups bourbon
1/2 cup dark rum
2 cups cognac
freshly grated nutmeg
Directions
In a very large bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and pale yellow. Gradually add sugar to yolks. With a wire whisk, beat in milk and 1 quart cream. Add bourbon, rum, and cognac, stirring constantly.
Just before serving, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into mixture. Whip remaining 1/2 quart heavy cream until stiff, and fold into mixture, Sprinkle with nutmeg.
Note: Raw eggs should not be used in food prepared for pregnant women, babies, young children, the elderly, or anyone whose health is compromised.

I also would make roll out cookies with royal icing and decorate with silverballs and edible glitter. I'd give you that recipe, but my cookbook is buried in a pile of cookbooks right now. The ones I gave you came from my computer cookbook file.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I make this jello salad/cranberry jelly type thing.....haha don't know what to really call it. We use it to put with our dressing.

Reg. size can of crushed pineapple
large box cherry jello
can of cherry pie filling
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans

Put pineapple in saucepan....pour in box of jello....heat on low till jello is disolved....remove from heat and add pie filling and pecans.....pour in serving dish and chill til set. I usually do this the night before. Anyhow...tastes somewhat like cranberries but sweeter.....Good stuff!!!

·
Registered
663 Posts
This one gets rave reviews from everyone.

Spiced Cranberries

4 cups fresh cranberries
2 cups water
3 cups sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cloves
Pinch of ground ginger

Wash berries and drain; set aside. Combine remaining ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. (Use a really big saucepan -- the sugar syrup really boils and foams up). Add the cranberries and cook for 7 to 10 minutes or until cranberry skins pop. Reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and let cool. Chill until ready to serve.
Yield: 2 cups.

And if people are invited over, they always ask for these

Flashback: 1981 – Holiday Bacon Appetizers | The Pioneer Woman Cooks | Ree Drummond

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I make a pretzel jello salad, pretty much like this one...
Strawberry Pretzel Salad Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Most people think the crust is nuts and don't believe it is pretzels! I actually use raspberry jello and frozen raspberries, but otherwise I just follow this recipe.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Mine's simple....there's always some sort of a boiled veggie served at Thanksgiving or Christmas....so I make a 'from scratch' cheese sauce (using a roux or bechemel base) and kick it up with something each time I make it, whatever I have on hand....chili flakes, hot bonnet pepper sauce, chili paste and WOOEEE it packs a punch on top of plain boring boiled veggies. It ranks up there with dad's gravy - its usually gone ASAP b/c its such a treat to have a full fat cheese sauce :)

I wonder what I can make this year instead...my sis is on a gluten free/dairy free diet - this sauce won't work for her - unless I use soy alternatives? But I'm thinking it won't be as tasty :(

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Libby, is that because of the flour? If so, you could make the white part of the sauce with cornstarch.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
polly - its b/c of the flour & dairy...and she can has other food sensitivities as well: corn, cornstarch are two more that rule out this sauce for her. (she has a huge laundry list of no no foods/things)

Thanks for trying to think of alternatives though. She's tough to cook for sometimes.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
polly - its b/c of the flour & dairy...and she can has other food sensitivities as well: corn, cornstarch are two more that rule out this sauce for her. (she has a huge laundry list of no no foods/things)

Thanks for trying to think of alternatives though. She's tough to cook for sometimes.
Aww, that's a shame :(

·
Registered
15,626 Posts

Make your sauce anyway. Call your sis and ask her what an alternative would be and make that just for her (and enough if anyone wants to try that too). She might have a kick-butt recipe that she would love to share.

Reactions: Libby

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
We don't really have a signature dish. I make mashed potatoes (not for the dieting!) though that get good reviews. I make em from scratch, add in sour cream, cream cheese (philly, garden veggie), parsley, and heavy cream. Yummy stuff

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I would say PA Dutch filling and raspberry chocolate shortbread cookies.

Yum! PA Dutch filling, there is no better!

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Oh Yum! That sounds good!

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Oh, I can eat the whole thing. heh.

I also make a broccoli casserole but to lazy to dig out the recipe now. :p I think this year I'm going to try something new and I'm in search. :)

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
These all sound so yummy! Thanks everyone for sharing your recipes! :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.