Frugal Village Forums banner

Your decorating style is:

• Modern

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Country

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Historic Period (Victorian, Colonial, Art Deco...)

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Ethnic/Geographic Theme (Southwestern, Spanish, Japanese...)

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • One I made up myself

Votes: 12 66.7%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your decorating style? Do you fit into a particular type, or have you invented your own style - and if so, what would you call it?

·
8,714 Posts
~My kitchen is retro(30's-50's)and the rest of the house is an eclectic Contemporary/Danish Modern/Traditional mix. I like strong decorating statements and themes but used sparingly. Simple is best for me.~

·
Registered
831 Posts
I think the best way to describe ours is Traditional English circa 1950's LOL perhaps it would be considered ecclectic now I am not sure? :toothy:

I intend posting pics soon when I have sorted out my living room furniture. ( Rather, I will get my dh to do this as I have zero skill in that dept and he is into photography:)

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
I called it "historical period" in the poll.... kind of old world American/Amish"y" .... I like simple peices of furniture of furniture that are "early american" in style

·
4,028 Posts
We live in an very eclectic home. Most shelving is from Ikea, I have some Medieval style wall decorations and like the look of black iron. But most of the furniture is contemporary.

The front room has an antique roll top desk and a cabinet that are totally cool.

The guest bedroom is done with black Ikea furniture with a black wrought iron style bed and heavy drapes. I try to keep my pewter Gothic type of knick-knacks in there.

I am liking the look of steam punk more and more though.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I have a lot of hand me down pieces and a few things I've chosen along the way. I have no idea what its called but my own LOL.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'd say Eclectic.. If I like it, it comes in the house..

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
half colonial williamsburg
half english country manor

traditional

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Traditional with a southern flair...warm colors, fleur de lis, wood floors.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I voted country, but really my style is eclectic for sure.
I love the shabby chic country style. Is my house decorated that way? No.

I have what I pick up here and there at yard sales and thrift stores. I guess my house does have somewhat of a country feel in the livingroom and dining room and where my desk is. It is not the big, comfy, pillowy slip covered furniture I would like.

We just redid the kitchen and If the house lent itself to a white country kitchen that is what I would have loved to do. It really is not the style that fits this house. Don't get me wrong I love my new kitchen it goes with the house and it is new. I would have done painted white cabinets, some with glass, maybe a white marble countertop, white subway tiles on the backsplash. A big country sink. you get the picture.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
this is what I have

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Is Early American Yard Sale a style? No? *giggles*

No, really it's mostly Colonial period pieces that have been handed down through the generations in my family. Some country pieces, thrift store & yard sale finds. It's a mish mash of decor that somehow seamlessly blends together.

I've been trying to smarten things up, update a bit. In my heart I'd really like the opportunity to send all the furniture with my oldest when he marries and start anew. I am however doing one room in our home with an elegant French decor with just a hint of a modern edge. Finally, a girls room in a houseful of men.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
we have been in the process of redoing alot of the house. according to my designer, i am french/country/cottage.

i love all shades of brown, orange, copper, and yellow. some rod iron. distressed tables. we are very "arhaus-ey"

·
27,948 Posts
I call mine, "It is what it is and I hope you make yourself at home and feel free to curl up on the couch while not being surprised to find a dog head/cat bod in your lap, dog/cat being very content just laying there". Whoo that's some kind of decorating style! :tay:
Feel the love.:heartsm:

·
Registered
656 Posts
DH calls it "Early Halloween".

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
"Whatever the wife wants."

I'm not sure what to call the decor. It's not arts and crafty, it's not country, it's not modern. I'd call it "making good use of used items that other people have upgraded from, plus a sleeping cat."

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
I'd say it's a mix of everything, but definitely not country.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts